Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Point 1 Question

I am currently running two Elite Ti2 9" touch. I would like to add a point 1. Is it compatible with these units? I have found both that it is and isn't with my searches. I also do have NMEA 2000 if that matters. I just want to be able to see boat orientation and drift direction on my units. Thanks.

2. Member
    Yes, Point-1 is compatible with Elite Ti/ Ti2.

3. Member
    Like team said, it is compatible.

It will use the NMEA2k ports, besides Point-1. You also will need a NMEA starter Kit, one NMEA cable and one additional tee to hook up both units. The Point-1 does not include these components. They assume you already have a NMEA backbone setup.

Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Like team said, it is compatible.

It will use the NMEA2k ports, besides Point-1. You also will need a NMEA starter Kit, one NMEA cable and one additional tee to hook up both units. The Point-1 does not include these components. They assume you already have a NMEA backbone setup.
    I think he said he already has a NMEA network so he’ll just need to put the T that comes with the Point 1 in, connnect the drop cable and he’s good.

To the OP, once you have it, you’ll never want to be without it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Thanks guys... another question. I assume if I hook up the point to me nmea on the unit at the wheel that it will also show up on the front graph through the wireless wifi ? They will share it just like they share waypoints ?

6. Member
    No, data like this does not share over WIFI so both units has to be connected to the NMEA-network.

So, only your console unit is on the NMEA network. You’ll want both on it and it really makes no sense to only have one unit on the network.

Also, you say hook it up to the “NMEA on the unit at the wheel”. That’s not really how NMEA works. You don’t attach a NMEA device like Point 1 to a unit. NMEA is a powered network backbone to which you connect various devices, head units, point 1, temp probes, etc. Just wanted to clarify that you don’t connect NMEA devices to just one unit. It connects to the network and is available to all compatible devices on the network.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

8. Member
    This may help with the basics of the NMEA2k Backbone.

9. Member
    Also when mounting the point-1 be sure to mount it in a magnetic free location. And temporarily mount it initially and take for a test run. Do not drill holes until it is verified.

Others may suggest to mount as close to transducer as possible, which is ok as long as NO magnetic interference.
    Typically near the trolling motor (bow), and near the engine are the worst places for magnetic interference.

Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Also when mounting the point-1 be sure to mount it in a magnetic free location. And temporarily mount it initially and take for a test run. Do not drill holes until it is verified.

Others may suggest to mount as close to transducer as possible, which is ok as long as NO magnetic interference.
    Typically near the trolling motor (bow), and near the engine are the worst places for magnetic interference.
    While it is true that magnetic interference can affect the heading sensor, in my personal experience, it’s not a practical problem. I only notice it when the outboard is running and really only on plane. Both with TR186 where it was at the back of the rear deck and with my 20TRX where it is right behind the drivers seat. But, since I only need the heading while the outboard is off and I’m fishing this is a non issue for me. I don’t need the heading while running the outboard. Not saying that would be the same for everyone though. And I could always had the course extension which uses my movement instead if I felt the need.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    While it is true that magnetic interference can affect the heading sensor, in my personal experience, it’s not a practical problem. I only notice it when the outboard is running and really only on plane. Both with TR186 where it was at the back of the rear deck and with my 20TRX where it is right behind the drivers seat. But, since I only need the heading while the outboard is off and I’m fishing this is a non issue for me. I don’t need the heading while running the outboard. Not saying that would be the same for everyone though. And I could always had the course extension which uses my movement instead if I felt the need.
    Obviously you've never tried locating a hump, rock, tree... whatever, that a way point was referencing at slow(idle or just off idle) speeds. At very slow speeds GPS can not determine your heading thus you have no valid indicator to reference. I will guarantee you it will drive you absolutely insane trying to locate a specific GPS location at very slow speeds without a working heading sensor. Equally you're course extension is virtually useless as well for when you make a turn for a period of time your boat is actually traveling sideways. Yes you know your momentum has altered your course of travel as you can see that on the course extension. What you can't see at that time is - your heading. By the time your course extension catches up with the actual boat heading and after the map stops rotating.... You get to start all over cuz yur now 1/4 mile from where you want to be.

Thanks again for the answers. I have a NMEA network with a water temp sensor hooked up to it. Came from the factory that way. I currently only plug the NMEA cable into the Elite Ti2 Unit at the counsel and I can see that water temp. So it sounds like I will need to extend the backbone cable up to the front Elite Ti2 unit as well. Then plug the Point 1 antenna into the backbone.

Currently when Im at slow speeds on the trolling motor the graphs at the Elite units like to spin and bounce around a bit, no issue when im at speed greater that 2 mph. Im hoping that a Point 1 will fix this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Obviously you've never tried locating a hump, rock, tree... whatever, that a way point was referencing at slow(idle or just off idle) speeds. At very slow speeds GPS can not determine your heading thus you have no valid indicator to reference. I will guarantee you it will drive you absolutely insane trying to locate a specific GPS location at very slow speeds without a working heading sensor. Equally you're course extension is virtually useless as well for when you make a turn for a period of time your boat is actually traveling sideways. Yes you know your momentum has altered your course of travel as you can see that on the course extension. What you can't see at that time is - your heading. By the time your course extension catches up with the actual boat heading and after the map stops rotating.... You get to start all over cuz yur now 1/4 mile from where you want to be.
    Not sure the point here. I do have a working heading sensor. I just meant that the only time it is off is when I am on plane and for me, I don’t need it. I don’t often try to locate a rock while on plane, but maybe that’s just me. And usually when I am looking for something that small, I am using the TM at which time I have no issues with interference from the outboard. I ever noticed interference in either boat at idle either, so looking for a hump was no issue. The only time I might, MIGHT, use course extension is when I am on plane. I don’t typically turn sharp enough at 70mph that it cant keep up with me so I think I’d be fine. That only be used if I had to navigate a really long journey without the aid of visual references. So far, I’ve never needed it and don’t see needing it. Ever. Hence the MIGHT.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by Angler103 View Post
    Thanks again for the answers. I have a NMEA network with a water temp sensor hooked up to it. Came from the factory that way. I currently only plug the NMEA cable into the Elite Ti2 Unit at the counsel and I can see that water temp. So it sounds like I will need to extend the backbone cable up to the front Elite Ti2 unit as well. Then plug the Point 1 antenna into the backbone.

Currently when Im at slow speeds on the trolling motor the graphs at the Elite units like to spin and bounce around a bit, no issue when im at speed greater that 2 mph. Im hoping that a Point 1 will fix this issue.
    Yep, that’s what you need and yes it will fix that issue perfectly.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I don't have any of the problems you described and I do not have a point one, I can pull right on of my weigh points with no searching. The only thing a point one does is tell the GPS what direction the bow is pointed. My Gps will tell which the boat is moving at .1 mph, just not the bow direction if drifting in the wind
    Thank You Leon Pugh

16. Member
    Hmm, I fish the same areas you do and wouldn’t be caught dead without a Point 1. There is a little submerged hump in Clear Lake I like to fish but it’s very small so you need to be stopped but not on top of it. When the boat is stopped with the waypoint out front, many times the map will spin and the hump will show up behind me. I know it’s not because I use shore marks to get lined up too. With the Point 1 with range rings and heading extension turned on, I can set up at a known distance and cast to both sides of the hump. But everybody fishes differently, if you don’t need one, I won’t argue, you saved yourself $200.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

17. Banned
    If you fish humps or creek channels, that $200 is the best money you’ll ever have spent! I’ll bash Lowrance when they deserve it, but nothing but praise for the point1 functionality & cost.

18. Member
    Another thing about the point-1: if you set a waypoint on something showing up on sidescan, the position of that waypoint will be more accurate if the unit knows the precise heading of your boat. If your moving fast enough it's no big deal, but sometimes I'm just drifting slowly and then see something.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Hmm, I fish the same areas you do and wouldn’t be caught dead without a Point 1. There is a little submerged hump in Clear Lake I like to fish but it’s very small so you need to be stopped but not on top of it. When the boat is stopped with the waypoint out front, many times the map will spin and the hump will show up behind me. I know it’s not because I use shore marks to get lined up too. With the Point 1 with range rings and heading extension turned on, I can set up at a known distance and cast to both sides of the hump. But everybody fishes differently, if you don’t need one, I won’t argue, you saved yourself $200.

NoCAL
    Set your heading to north up and quit fighting it, Us old guys had to use paper maps long enough to get used to knowing things reverse going south on the map. Would yo use a paper map and turn it upside down to read it? Take less than 10 seconds to switch that feature when you choose to, on foggy days in the delta I run with heading up, when stopped, north up

Would that hump be somewhere near the bear
    Thank You Leon Pugh

20. Member
    A guy once told me that sailors use north up, while people who owns boats use course up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast