Thread: Do it all Rod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I guess nobody includes finesse and power finesse within the scope of versatile . I'd go with a medium to medium plus casting rod myself.

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    7’1” BPS Platinum rod, MH/Fast. I can do almost anything with this rod. Buy the combo when it’s on sale and get a great rod and reel for a good cost.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Another vote for the ALX Toadface.
    +3 (or 4) on the Toadface and I say that with zero hesitation. I am up to 4 of them now and I find new things that I love about this particular rod EVERY time I fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogsticker View Post
    I guess nobody includes finesse and power finesse within the scope of versatile . I'd go with a medium to medium plus casting rod myself.
    That's exactly where I put my do-it-all rod. The one in my arsenal I'd put there...actually I have two of them....is a 7'1" Phenix Feather that's rated medium heavy, but fishes medium (Phenix rods usually fish lighter than other brands for a given rating). This model's got enough give in the tip to be serviceable for moving baits where you'd want more moderate action, skips exceptionally well, yet is super sensitive, and can throw bottom contact baits as light as 1/8 oz all the way up to a half ounce without issue (I've even thrown 3/4 oz Dark Sleepers and it's handled them well, too). Mine see duty around docks, lighter Texas rigs, and smallish swimbaits mostly, but they are extremely versatile. I've thrown spinnerbaits, topwaters, and even "power shotted" with mine on multiple occasions. The light weight makes them a joy to fish all day as well.

I had been restraining myself from responding because I feel like I'm always hawking Phenix rods here and I'm sure it gets annoying and looks like I'm on pro staff or something. The fact is, I just really really like them for a lot of techniques. It seems that their offerings across the Feather and X-series (composite) damn near cover every base in bass fishing, do so at awesome price points (under $200), carry an awesome warranty, and fish well above their price point. My fondness for them has honestly probably been to my detriment as it's kept me from trying other rods that I think are really good and maybe even better...ALX comes to mind immediately...but I've been burned by trying to fix things that aren't broke too many times in my past to talk myself into trying something else when the time comes that I'm in the market for a new rod. Well, that combined with the fact that I'm building most of the new rods in my lineup these days....and Phenix sells blanks for all their rods too!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    DrewFlu33 and Hogsticker- that's exactly what my Light MH Fast HE3 does. A Medium Plus is a good way to define it. Definitely the rod I'd select if someone made me choose just one rod. Hmm, Phenix Feather might have to get on my radar. :)

6. Member
    At your budget, a st croix avid 7' MF/MHF or a Zodias 7'2 MHF/MF are great choices. Personall i would take the zodias over the avid personally.

Gloomis 843MBR all day.

Love it.

Hard for me not to choose the Megabass Levante Diablo Spec R or a Perfect Pitch. Both can handle so many different presentations its scary. The rereleased models will be coming soon.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    #1 Toadface #2 Deputy
    Yes and yes.

#1 is the ALX Toadface

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Well, that combined with the fact that I'm building most of the new rods in my lineup these days....and Phenix sells blanks for all their rods too!
    So do we! :)

12. Member
    Used Loomis IMX MBR 844 or ALX Toadface

13. Member
    ALX Deputy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Hard for me not to choose the Megabass Levante Diablo Spec R or a Perfect Pitch. Both can handle so many different presentations its scary. The rereleased models will be coming soon.
    Mark, re-released models? What have I missed?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    #1 Toadface #2 Deputy
    Guess my choices for my first 2 ALX rods were good ones. Now to add a Dream and maybe a McSmalls.

OP, I am quite fond of my Gen 1 Diablo Spec R and a custom 7' MHF Rainshadow RX7. A low cost rod that is another favorite all around rod is an OG Tatula 7' MR. The more I think about it the more rods I could add.

16. Banned
    I seem to always be on the "one power" lighter side for every application I use, compared to others. My "all purpose" rod is a Dobyns 733C.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    Mark, re-released models? What have I missed?

MB pulled the remaining stock of g2 Levantes from dealers to address any possible issues. Rods are being remade and will be rereleased. The rods will essentially be the same just remade and released.

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    So do we! :)
    I know you do!

No joke - there will be a rod built on a Hydra blank entering my arsenal by spring 2020. I’ve been twiddling my thumbs about it for way too long and there are too many people that love ALX rods for me not to have one by this point.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    That's exactly where I put my do-it-all rod. The one in my arsenal I'd put there...actually I have two of them....is a 7'1" Phenix Feather that's rated medium heavy, but fishes medium (Phenix rods usually fish lighter than other brands for a given rating). This model's got enough give in the tip to be serviceable for moving baits where you'd want more moderate action, skips exceptionally well, yet is super sensitive, and can throw bottom contact baits as light as 1/8 oz all the way up to a half ounce without issue (I've even thrown 3/4 oz Dark Sleepers and it's handled them well, too). Mine see duty around docks, lighter Texas rigs, and smallish swimbaits mostly, but they are extremely versatile. I've thrown spinnerbaits, topwaters, and even "power shotted" with mine on multiple occasions. The light weight makes them a joy to fish all day as well.

I had been restraining myself from responding because I feel like I'm always hawking Phenix rods here and I'm sure it gets annoying and looks like I'm on pro staff or something. The fact is, I just really really like them for a lot of techniques. It seems that their offerings across the Feather and X-series (composite) damn near cover every base in bass fishing, do so at awesome price points (under $200), carry an awesome warranty, and fish well above their price point. My fondness for them has honestly probably been to my detriment as it's kept me from trying other rods that I think are really good and maybe even better...ALX comes to mind immediately...but I've been burned by trying to fix things that aren't broke too many times in my past to talk myself into trying something else when the time comes that I'm in the market for a new rod. Well, that combined with the fact that I'm building most of the new rods in my lineup these days....and Phenix sells blanks for all their rods too!
    Dude, Phenix just produces great blanks, period. From the Maxim up through the K2. They all punch above their weight imo. I'm sticking with them and Point Blank moving forward.

20. Member
    Powell 703 most versatile rod I have ever used.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast