Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alzheimers Sucks!

Last night at a funeral visitation I ran into yet another man I've known and respected for years. Over 30 years. His wife and daughter trying to re-introduce me to him to no success. Him just shaking his head that he didn't know me. I hadn't seen him in about 3 years, but I guess now I know why.

I don't know why, but this bastage of a disease seems to affect some of the sharpest business men I've known. I'd need extra hands to count the numbers.

2. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Not only does the disease affect the individual, but it has disastrous effects on those who love her/him. It's very sad.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

3. Member
    Going through it right now with my father, add in dementia and it makes for wonderful visits. I just have to keep telling myself that it is the disease not the person but still makes it hard seeing him like that knowing that nothing can really be done.

4. Member
    Went through it with both my parents. Nothing worse then watching them fade away and not being able to do anything.
    2017 Z521C with Evinrude G2 250 HO
    2020 RT198 with Merc 150 Pro XS

Went through it with my father. He was gone for the most part several years before he actually died.

Best friend of 40 years, co worker, fishing partner, fought it for 9 years before he succumbed to it. It takes a toll on everyone around the person

7. Member
    One of my grandfathers died with it about 10 years ago. He laid in a nursing home for 4 years choking on the creamed food they were spoon feeding him and peeing on himself. I'd go see him weekly and he didn't know me from Adam for the entire time.

My dad has the beginnings of it now and I wonder about my mother at times.

terrible disease.

9. Bob G's pool boy
    Been through it. We were lucky as it was fairly quick.

We live in a society where it is acceptable and humane to end a pet's suffering when there is no quality of life left and no cure.

No one involved wants to go through it. Ask anyone before the disease takes hold and they would opt for a humane end before the suffering and strain on themselves and those around them. It's a shame we can't talk about these things.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

10. Member
    Lost my mother to it, she passed away Feb of this year. The death is not the bad part. It's seeing them have to be in that state for so long. She had been gone for years. Hardest decision I ever had to make was putting her in a nursing home after it was clear what was going on in late 2014, as she forgot how to walk, sit up. Couldn't do anything for herself. Next was selling her house, doing something with all her possessions....same as if she had passed away, but she was still with us. The weekly visits seeing her in various states of mind.....at first she would know us and talk and tell crazy things. Then it got to where sometimes she wouldn't recognize us....deer in the headlight look. Eventually...it was every visit, she didn't have a clue who we were. It's tough.

11. Member
    Going though it with my mom now as well as dementia. My sister is the one taking care of her throughout the week and the rest of us just see her on the weekends. Its definitely taking its toll on my sister. I hate to say it but while this disease is slowly taking our mom away, the strain of taking care of her is taking our sister away also. It truly is a disease that hurts everyone involved. Throw in that we've lost 3 Aunts and 4 Uncles in 2019 with my mom being the last of her siblings alive, and none left on my dad's side either. Its been a really rough year.
    USAF Retired 1981-2004
    Police Detective Retired 2004-2022

12. Banned
    Lost my Mom to that disease last year after a 14 year battle, terrible thing for anyone to go through.

13. Member
    Such a said disease. God bless all of you who have supported your loved ones thru such an ordeal.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    Not only does the disease affect the individual, but it has disastrous effects on those who love her/him. It's very sad.
    I believe this disease to be harder on the immediate family. Horrible situation for all.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

My Mom has it and they say she is in stage 6c. Still knows the family members most of the time although she calls us by the wrong name sometimes. She can still walk, talk and eat but all those things are getting tougher by the day. Trying to get her meds adjusted so the sundowning isn't as bad as it's been lately. Never heard my Mom curse until this disease. Like most have said, it really sucks for all involved.

16. Member
    Took my dad from me a few years before he died...pisses me off still
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

17. Member
    My grandad once threatened to get a gun and shoot me when I entered his house. He had no idea who I was even though I saw him weekly. The worst part was seeing how scared he was.

18. Member
    Going thru it with my mother, although not real bad yet. More dementia. Most times I am not sure who I am, my uncle, my father or my cousin. Two weeks ago she introduced me as her brother, so now I know! She is in a care/nursing home as her mobility was shot and couldn't live on her own. About 5 months ago, we/they tried CBD oil with THC added. Cbd for her bone on bone shoulder, and thc for her sundowning(getting grumpy later on in the day). Started at 1ml a day for a couple weeks with not much change, so boosted it to 2mls a day. Within another couple of weeks we noticed a change. She usually was sleeping when we would go in her room. I would wake her up and she would be instantly alert and "Hi". She would still be confused with some stuff and ramble on about something, but we could hold a pretty decent conversation. I would ask her how her shoulder was, and she would say it is better than it used to be. Before the oil, she would wake up, but just barely and not real responsive to conversation.
    The staff says that the cbd/thc works on some and doesn't do anything for others, all you can do is try it. I have a 67 year old cousin who had bad rhumatoid arthritis, tried everything, and finally tried cbd oil. She said it has given her a life back.
    One of the best things I have found is to enter her world. Sometimes I take some of her old photo albums out and we sit and look at pics from the 40's and 50's. She is sharp as a tack as to who the people are and what was happening. Amazes me, and I learn some stuff I should have asked about years ago. I prob did but long forgotten. That is another sad part about losing your parents, you have few people to ask about things gone by.
    I agree that we treat our pets better than we do people when it comes to watching them suffer. This disease is so tragic to watch, and, as stated, so hard on the family members trying to deal with it.

19. Member
    Lost my Mother to it. She didn't know me for 10 years. Very sad.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

20. Member
    It is terrible disease. It is like watching the human in a loved one drain away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast