Correct Battery for 98 200 Carb

I just ordered a replacement battery for my 98 Merc 200hp Carb. I thought I had a Group 27 battery so that is what I ordered however, I discovered I actually had a Group 24 Battery before. Both are Interstate Marine Batteries. The old Group 24 was I believe 800CCA/1000MCA and the new 27 is 600CCA/750MCA. Am I OK to use the 27 with this motor? Not sure how the amps affects starting time, being a carb 2 stroke, sometimes it takes a while to start if she gets flooded. I believe a 27 has more reserve capacity but not sure what battery is spec'd for this motor. No trolling motor. Just use it for Starting, Fish Finder, Radio and VHF. I can easily exchange it for a 24 if need be but curious if the 27 will be a better batter to have. Thanks
    1997 Boston Whaler 20 Outrage Center Console
    1998 Mercury 200XL Offshore Outboard

2. Member
    I just realized the old battery is a Starting Battery, not Deep Cycle which is probably why it died so quick and would not recharge. Which begs the question, is Deep Cycle the best to use when I have a single battery and running electronics while anchored?

3. Member
    Not supposed to use anything but an old school flooded lead acid wet cell starting battery due to the charging system on the older mercs. This is what I used, but lots of options/brands (mostly made in a the same plant): https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...4742402?pos=17

Same "battery" but different brand: https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...up-27m/sli27ma

If you have room and run a lot of electronics go up to a group 31, group 24 is too small these days.

4. Member
    ^+1 Only supposed to use a starting wet cell battery. Any size is ok, and bigger is better if you have a lot of electronics. You should also make sure you charge the battery after each outing, you do not want it to sit uncharged for a length of time.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Member
    Thanks! So a good in between battery for electronics would be a Group 27, but I should switch this one out for a Starting Battery?

6. Member
    I have a 2002 200 carbed motor and I use a group 27 starting battery, it’s the motor and electronics battery. I have a gps and fish finder and a livewell. My electronic use is probably on the low side. If you use a lot of electronics then the 27 may or ma not be big enough. They also sell group 31 starting batteries also. Depends on how much you run the motor and how long the electronics run in between motor use and how long the runs are with the motor. And yes, Mercury recommends starting batteries with stator charging systems, otherwise you run a greater risk of burning up the regulators or stator.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

7. Member
    Thanks for all the input! I'll get this swapped for a 27M Starting Battery. Any recommendations on a charger? I've had a small Battery Tender plugged in all the time but I've lost 2 batteries since I started using it so maybe its time for something else.

8. Member
    I use a standard portable battery charger from NAPA, it’s 10 amps. Looks like we have similar use, bay boats with limited electronics. You could buy an onboard charger for easier charging but I haven’t done that as I don’t use mine enough to justify the cost. I would recommend at least a ten amp charger. These type of batteries do not do well if left uncharged.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caddelma View Post
    Not supposed to use anything but an old school flooded lead acid wet cell starting battery due to the charging system on the older mercs. This is what I used, but lots of options/brands (mostly made in a the same plant): https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...4742402?pos=17

Same "battery" but different brand: https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...up-27m/sli27ma

If you have room and run a lot of electronics go up to a group 31, group 24 is too small these days.
    I didn't know this...so no AGM for a 92XR6? I was going to go with a group 31 Cabelas X900

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason78 View Post
    Thanks! So a good in between battery for electronics would be a Group 27, but I should switch this one out for a Starting Battery?
    Depends on CCA and RC. Some gp27 batteries don't provide much more than gp24. Personally, I base my purchase decision on CCA (not to be confused with CA), RC, warranty, and price.

Quote Originally Posted by willworkforfish
    I didn't know this...so no AGM for a 92XR6? I was going to go with a group 31 Cabelas X900.
    Correct, AGM batteries are NOT recommended for stator charging systems.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Member
    ^^^^^+1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Depends on CCA and RC. Some gp27 batteries don't provide much more than gp24. Personally, I base my purchase decision on CCA (not to be confused with CA), RC, warranty, and price.

Correct, AGM batteries are NOT recommended for stator charging systems.
    Sounds good, looks like a regular big ole group 31 is gonna get bought.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    I use a standard portable battery charger from NAPA, it’s 10 amps. Looks like we have similar use, bay boats with limited electronics. You could buy an onboard charger for easier charging but I haven’t done that as I don’t use mine enough to justify the cost. I would recommend at least a ten amp charger. These type of batteries do not do well if left uncharged.

Yes, I'm mainly just looking for something I can plug in and let it sit to charge/maintain. I don't get to boat much any more so the battery does not get charged enough from running to stay in good shape. I thought a Battery Tender was the way to go but apparently not as it has let 2 batteries go bad in 2 years.

14. Member
    I don’t leave mine on the battery, I charge it the day after I get back from fishing for about 12 hours to make sure it’s fully charged then I take it off. If I use it enough that’s all I do, but if it’s been a couple of months I will charge it again. My boat is not. covered so I can’t leave a battery charger on it all the time unless I go to a on board charger.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason78 View Post
    Yes, I'm mainly just looking for something I can plug in and let it sit to charge/maintain. I don't get to boat much any more so the battery does not get charged enough from running to stay in good shape. I thought a Battery Tender was the way to go but apparently not as it has let 2 batteries go bad in 2 years.
    The typical battery tender/maintainer produces somewhere around 1.5 - 1.75amps and isn't intended to be used as a battery charger. Maintaining a charged battery or bringing up a lightly discharged battery yes, but to charge or recharge no. Really need a charger/maintainer with at least 10amp output.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Member
    I wish this thread had been started earlier, I just bought a Sams 27 series AGM for the starting battery for the new to me 2005 XR6. I guess I can use it on my pontoon (90 4S Honda) and get a old school wet cell. Really like AGM - how risky is it to use?

17. Member
    Hard to tell but there are people who run AGM batteries on these motors with no problems and some who have had problems. My complete guess, low to mid risk. But regulators and stators generally cost more than batteries.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay