Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Sounds great!

2. Member
    I don’t know what “The Hill” is but sounds great!

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Clark's Hill or Strom Thurmond. Da' Hill.

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Fished many a tourney there,,,,,,won a few. Lost a lot.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebandl View Post
    Ok and yes, I do have an on board 3 bank charger.
    OK, that might be your problem. You only replaced one trolling motor battery and then this started. I would double check your charger wiring.

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    OK, that might be your problem. You only replaced one trolling motor battery and then this started. I would double check your charger wiring.
    I never replace just one trolling motor battery after they are at the end of their service life or if an older one of a set fails. I replace all as a set of matched batteries,,,but that is just me. (that's one way I knew a member here on the BBC screwed me and brought back 2 totally different junk batteries that where centuries old after I loaned him a new matched set I had so he could fish a tourney about 5 years ago)

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

7. Member
    I don't see how the TM battery has anything to do with his graphs shutting down.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

8. Member
    I’m not sure what “The Hill” is but I’m in!

9. Member
    Sorry for the repeat messages. I didn’t think they were going through. Just now updated.

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Read post #23.

11. Member
    Read post #25

12. Member
    I’d just replaced the other TM battery in April. Started having motor issues shortly after that so that battery had very few hours on it.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Read post #25
    Excuse me for trying to help, and thanks for reminding me to give this hopeless endeavor up.

14. Member
    ��. I appreciate your input. I’m sure we’ll figure it out. More than likely it’s something I did. I don’t know much but thanks to you guys I know a heck of lot more than I did.

15. Member
    OK, I'll try one more time. Did you connect the on board battery charger wires to the wrong trolling motor battery posts? If you did that could cause damage, amps should flow to the crank battery but not from the crank battery to the charger. I know this is all supposed to be protected so this will not happen, but if one of the blocking diodes is bad things go wrong. I was thinking about what you did, just installing a new trolling motor battery and then this graph problem started. That's why I asked if you had a 3 bank on board charger, I have seen problems with the early 3 bank chargers. You did say that your graphs are wired directly to the crank battery, no connections in between?

16. Member
    When I replaced the TM battery I didn't remember how the old one was placed in the tray so I took my best guess and it was wrong. Like I said, I don't know much especially when it comes to power. After I connected the wires the red light on my Minn Kota charger for started flashing indicating a bad connection. I disconnected the wires, turned the battery around, reconnected the wires and got the green light on the charger indicating all was well. Or so I thought.. I don't know how I could've gotten any wire crossed after the initial misstep. The graphs were not on the boat while I was doing the battery switch. The trolling motor worked great for a full day of fishing last week. The graphs would stay on shortly after I cranked the motor but would shut down after I got up on plane. I haven't had a chance to look into to it yet but plan on it today.

17. Member
    You say hooking the wires to the wrong posts could cause damage. Where would that damage likely occur? And yes, the console graph is wired straight to the cranking battery with no connections, other than a fuse link because I ran those wires myself. The TM graph is wired to the existing wiring at the front control panel. The charger I have is approx. 5 years old.

18. Member
    I would disconnect the charger from the crank battery, and see if that makes a difference. A blocking diode in the charger might be damaged, a blocking diode in a line lets voltage run in only one direction. The other possibility could also be damage to the regulator.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 10-17-2019 at 08:28 AM.

19. Member
    I did check the battery after the TM battery was installed. 12.8v engine off, 13.2v running. Does that sound about right and may indicate that the regulator is ok?

20. Member
    That's not bad at idle with a fully charged battery. You said the problem happened at higher rpm's, that could still mean a problem with the regulator.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast