Thread: Why no eufaula

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why no eufaula

Why don't the big boys go to eufaula I imagine the town won't pony up any money and maybe the facilities but, could you imagine watching them figure it out , I don't think they would be grouped together.

Good question.

2009 LEGEND ALPHA 211/MERCURY 250 PRO XS

I would love to see it. Even a Costa series event would be cool.

The Creeks will not cough up the cash.. Maybe

5. Member
    I’ve been asking that a long time. Over the last 5-6 Eufaula has slowly become my favorite lake.

6. Member
    Probably has something to do with the tournament years ago maybe a redman where there were several boats swamped or flipped in the wind.
    if the wind comes up they would all be in eufaula cove

7. Banned
    Talked to a friend that lives on eufaula yesterday and asked him why. He said the bass fishing is decent but not good enough to draw big tournaments. As he put it "it's a crappie lake"

8. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    I think it’s the only big lake we have that is not hammered like grand. It would be cool to watch the dynamics as there is always a bite somewhere on that lake. Although, kinda nice to have a decent lake to fish that isn’t “exposed” and on the other hand it would be nice to see grand lose some exposure.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Talked to a friend that lives on eufaula yesterday and asked him why. He said the bass fishing is decent but not good enough to draw big tournaments. As he put it "it's a crappie lake"
    Not trying to be a jerk...but I feel that statement is about as inaccurate as can possibly be.

Of course Eufauls fishes well enough to draw big tournaments. Furthermore...what does the quality of fishing have to do with it?

The Ditch gets big derbys... Sabine does also. Neither of them are really great to possibly even mediocre bodies of water for bass .

Lack of facilities kills Eufaula.....

Also...I'll bet nuts...if say a fairly large event went to Eufaula...they would most likely be dishing on top of each other. For as many acres as Eufaula is....it fishes small.

Not trying to be a jerk either but your friend has no idea what he is talking about.
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

11. Banned
    Don't have a clue myself I've been on that lake a handful of times in my life. I've caught fish off it just nothing with much size to it. He told me to look at the tournament weight results for the lakes in Oklahoma. I know they used to keep that info a few years ago but I can't find it now. His example was the big L&P tournament over 10lb. your getting a check 15lb will get a top 3 if not a win in a 400 boat tournament. Anywhere else in Oklahoma 15 might get you a check.

Don't have a clue myself I've been on that lake a handful of times in my life. I've caught fish off it just nothing with much size to it. He told me to look at the tournament weight results for the lakes in Oklahoma. I know they used to keep that info a few years ago but I can't find it now. His example was the big L&P tournament over 10lb. your getting a check 15lb will get a top 3 if not a win in a 400 boat tournament. Anywhere else in Oklahoma 15 might get you a check.
    The Lawter tournament is a 3 fish limit. Eufaula is a pretty good bass fishery IMO.

13. Member
    Lawter is 3 fish tourney. I was one of the last places to receive a check last year in it (33rd place) and had nearly 9 pounds. That many fish to go around isn't bad for a tourney with nearly 400 boats. Lots of decent fish in the lake especially now that we have had some good spawns with high water the last few years. I would love to see a major tourney there, but I believe we don't due to facilities. The boat ramps, docks, and parking at Eufaula cove are not in the same ball park as those on Grand. The reputation on the lake might also be a deterrent or the big tournament that was there in 1999 that Leo Osborne won when very few anglers caught many fish. Truly though, that is speculation on my part as I do not know why they won't come to Eufaula.

I haven’t been on Eufaula for a while, but have caught some great sacks of fish there. There have been some bad calls from TD’s for not cancelling in bad weather. Eufaula can get very nasty when the SW wind kicks up. Running the chute up towards Dutches Creek can be an experience you won’t soon forget. I do love the lake and wish they had some bigger tourneys there.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

15. Member
    My guess is facilities, lodging, town involvement, lack of a host sponsor, and if it’s MLF could be cell coverage for all of the live streaming.

Doubt its it’s the fishery at all nor the wind, they fish the Great Lakes for goodness sakes.

16. Member
    I've only ever driven across that windy red mud hole and never had a desire to fish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitman View Post
    My guess is facilities, lodging, town involvement, lack of a host sponsor, and if it’s MLF could be cell coverage for all of the live streaming.

Doubt its it’s the fishery at all nor the wind, they fish the Great Lakes for goodness sakes.
    Cell service is iffy for my Att

I read somewhere that 2-3 years ago there was a tourney on Eufaula that a team weighed in 24lbs with just 4 smallmouth. Can’t remember where it was written, but if true, that’s pretty good fishing.

19. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Those were all smallies and it’s been quite a few years. I caught 22lbs and took 9th one year. The lake has some really good fishing and overall quality for sure.

Are the smallmouth still there in good numbers? I might need to make a trip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast