Thread: 4S Pro XS Noise

4S Pro XS Noise

2019 4S 250 Pro XS with about 50 hours now and from the first trip out when I accelerate to get on plane there is a "Clunk" sound and your can feel a small impact in the boat. My first thought was loose jackplate bolts but everything is properly torqued and secure. Anyone have any ideas what would cause this?

2019 250 Pro XS SN 2B592663

2. Member
    Shift cable out of adjustment...really just a guess.

3. Member
    You're still under warranty, I'd take it back to dealer who rigged your boat for inspection/diagnosis and documented for warranty purposes.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

With the new shifter in these lower units I don't think the shift cable adjustment would be the culprit.
    My first thought would be something inside the LU or the prop hub not right.
    Does it also make any "clunk" when you get out of the throttle ? Push in and out on the prop to see how much slack is there.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    With the new shifter in these lower units I don't think the shift cable adjustment would be the culprit.
    My first thought would be something inside the LU or the prop hub not right.
    Does it also make any "clunk" when you get out of the throttle ? Push in and out on the prop to see how much slack is there.
    No clunk when getting out of throttle. Prop and prop shaft checks good.

id be very interested in the source of problem once found...
    dont have any from mine...but still interested
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Which hub kit do you have? 8M0101601 is the kit you need
    Last edited by 21xTriton05; 10-09-2019 at 12:50 PM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    Which hub kit do you have? 8M0101601 is the kit you need
    Not sure about the hub kit, can I check the part number while it's installed? The boat/motor is as it came rigged from BCB.

The 840389K06 original 1.25 TM hub kits do clunk in and out of gear. They'll also clunk like you're saying if the prop isnt tight enough. The prop typically is installed at the dealer after the do their pre delivery checklist on the engine. If you dont have the SSR (8M0101601) kit, I'd start there

This ^^^ and torque it to 55 foot lbs

11. Member
    I have the 840389k06 solid hub, going to retorque prop this evening.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you still find you have the same results, I'd be looking for something that is moderately heavy and LOOSE (not secured properly) within the boat hull.

Common items would be batteries, fuel tank, pumps, gear, etc.

Also- do you have poles on this boat?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    I do have poles.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Might also have someone follow you from behind and video to see if they are momentarily tucking below the surface. They should not.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    I have the 115 pro xs w/ CT. Mine has a clunk sound when I get on plane, it's hard to describe but it almost feels like it's shifting gears. Dealer hasn't been able to recreate problem
    2019 Vexus 1880, merc 115

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyPickle View Post
    I have the 115 pro xs w/ CT. Mine has a clunk sound when I get on plane, it's hard to describe but it almost feels like it's shifting gears. Dealer hasn't been able to recreate problem

What is water temp this time of year? I know gear lube gets quite stiff, we all remember pulling away from a dock where the shifter barely works, what I am getting at is maybe make sure the lower unit is more warmed up by a longer in gear idle, put in neutral, then reverse for 2 seconds, then a pause before going to forward and see if the situation repeats its self or is gone.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

I have been fooled by a noise that was coming from my poles. I would have sworn it was coming from the engine at one time.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team