Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

onX hunt App question

Anyone use the app onX hunt? Looking for both good and bad if any. Thank you.

2. Member
    Thanks for posting this question. I found this app last night and have been playing with it. I have a 7 day free trial. I'm planning on a pheasant hunt next year on public land. Now I just need to learn how to use this app. Looking forward to hearing from those who have used it.

3. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    No first-hand experience with it, but a co-worker sent me this last week...

I've been using LandGlide for land ownership, but recently learned about OnX Hunt. EcoRESTORE and Rayonnier Forest Resources land folks are both using OnX Hunt. It seems to do everything that LandGlide does and more. The main additional benefit of OnX Hunt is that it will allow you to download basemaps (aerials, topo, etc.) while you have internet access and save them to your phone. Then, as long as you have GPS access, you can continue to use those basemaps even if you are in a place with no cell service (i.e., don't have to drive to service & load maps immediately before using). OnX Hunt also allows you to download waypoints and routes - like laying out a trail, marking a point location, etc. 50-state access is the same for both - basically $100/year, but one-state access for OnX Hunt is only $20 a year (I don't know if you can just do two or three states or if the option is one-state vs all states).

Here's a link for more info:
    https://www.onxmaps.com/
    Who controls John Gill?

Been using it for a couple of years now. It is a great tool for me where I hunt. Location and property boundaries are clear especially where I have small properties scattered around in a large area.

5. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I use basemap. Pretty similar to onx i believe.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

6. Member
    I think i have Hunt Stand loaded, basic but it puts me on my stand in the dark.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    I use basemap. Pretty similar to onx i believe.
    Do you have the Pro version? If so, do you get all the states with it?
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Used OnX extensively in Wyoming for public land pronghorn hunting. Cannot think of any negatives at all. Asked a game warden that checked us out in the field what he thought about the app. He advised that he wished all the hunters used it, as it would make his life much easier. Apparently, the wardens spend a lot of time chasing people off of private property they shouldn't be on.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

9. Member
    I purchased the Basemap Pro for $30 a yr for all states. I liked the onX trial, but I don't think its worth a $100 compared to Basemap. Gaia is another option I've seen, I think it is $40 yr for the US.

A cheat, if you only want to see a small area, is to get the onX trial and you can screenshot your maps.

The on x app is an incredible tool. The ability to save tracks and waypoints and the downloadable maps is very helpful, my only regret about the app is not buying it sooner. It pretty much makes my handheld gps obsolete. But I still also carry a map and compass. I find the app most useful when around areas of public and private land and can quickly find property boundaries.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    I have basemap also. not the pro edition just the free one. I can see anything I need anywhere I am at. I can pull up anywhere in the US with it.

12. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I do not have the pro version yet but i am going to get it soon. I do believe you will be able to though!
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    I do not have the pro version yet but i am going to get it soon. I do believe you will be able to though!
    I went ahead and got the Pro version. I don't think there is anyway onX, for $100 is worth the additional cost.

14. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I went ahead and got the Pro version. I don't think there is anyway onX, for $100 is worth the additional cost.
    I upgraded to the pro version today as well. So far I love it! Mapping is awesome. Tons of Cool Features!
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

15. Member
    I pretty much only hunt az and the onx map really helps us out. We are constantly sending waypoints to each other in our group. The tracking function is a great tool for covering areas and letting others know what you have already looked at during scouting trips.

16. Member
    I upgraded to the pro version. I was out a few days ago walking the farm when the property boundary line wouldn't always show up. It happened quite often when I would zoom in or out on the map. I sent basemap an email. Should hear from them today.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    You have to have a decent signal by your provider is only neg I have. In Il its perfect for me but in KS its not so have to go off line...
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

18. Member
    I thought it was sweet but it doesn't show any private land boundaries in the county I hunt. This is the main reason I tried it, so I ditched it completely.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    You have to have a decent signal by your provider is only neg I have. In Il its perfect for me but in KS its not so have to go off line...
    You can download maps for offline use, and as long as your device has a gps signal, you'll have maps.

20. Member
    I got a response from basemap. They said the same thing as others have said about not having a good cell phone signal in areas of my property. They recommend doing an off line map when I have the property boundaries on the map. Going to try it next time to see if the boundary lines will show up on an off line map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast