Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CigarBasser View Post
    Been contemplating a diesel for some time now.. does the extra fuel cost average out due to the plus up on MPG? What other cost are associated with a diesel not normally found or used on gas?
    On the high end you would average 10 mpg more than what ever you have now. I really think that’s on the high end. Diesel is 50 cents higher than regular here. That calculates to about 4 years or 60,000 miles for the average per year mileage to break even. The first manufacturer to come up with a reliable 1/2 ton diesel will get the resale up tick the bigger pickups get will win big time.

http://calcnexus.com/fuel-cost-calcu...mpg2=24&calc=1

2. Member
    I wonder how resale will be on the half ton diesel. I trade trucks every few years and general get a much better trade in on a diesel compared to a gas. I often see people talk about number of miles you need to drive or tow in a diesel to break even, but rarely see them include the better residual value when looking at cost of ownership. I am currently trading in my 2017 for $7200 less than I purchased it for. Considered a gaser, but after checking trade in values of just about every make found the loss I would take to be near $15k on a gas powered vehicle.

3. Member
    I heard these were coming out. I've got a 2014 Sierra so I'm interested to know the difference in mileage between the 2 as I may be upgrading. Congrats on the truck!

4. Member
    Chevy and ranger match made in heaven! Lol

5. Member
    Thanks all, we are excited to see how it performs over time. Although we plan on keeping this truck, it will be interesting to see what the resale values are in the future.. The upgrade to diesel was only $2500 over the gasser. So far the mileage has been better than expected. In Nevada diesel is cheaper than gas right now, hope it stays that way! GMC Sierra's are not scheduled to be released until January, hopefully strike will end soon.

6. Member
    Congrat's qwkdraw !!!!! I see you got an LTZ.

I tried to hold out for the Baby Duramax but just couldn't wait any longer! Last month I found a steal on a new style '19 w/ Max Tow with all those rebates that I just couldn't pass up. It didn't help that it had all the options and right color, LOL!!!!

I'm seeing 21-22mpg with mixed driving averaged after a tank of fuel. I did fill up once, came out of the gas station and set cruise for 60mph and for the next 29miles (next city) she averaged 27.3mpg (lead vehicle and no drafting .... did pass 1 car) on 2 lane highway and rolling hills. I could help but imagine what I might would have gotten out of a Baby D'max. Regardless, I've been elated with the fuel economy since it's rated at 16/22.

Like you, I ain't planning on getting rid of his one. We are contemplating in 2yrs getting the same truck again, but this time with the Baby Duramax. Anxious to see if any problems come up with that new engine. Same thing goes for this '19 gas as it has the new DFM ( as if AFM wasn't bad enough). ................ oh! and I HATE AutoStop!!!! THANK GOD I can switch that off, if I remember, LOL!!!

I do wish my Max Tow had the new style Tow mirrors like the 2020 HD's ....... kinda like how the '14-'18 1500 trucks did.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    fuel filters --fuel additives-def fluid-- 1.5 to 2 times the oil capacity so oil changes 50% or more higher -- but love mine anyway!! mpg a little better than gas usually (not always) but diesel always higher at pump.
    Just FYI to everyone ........ my new '19 with a 5.3L DFM motor takes 8qts of Dexos. I've 'heard' that the new Baby Duramax doesn't take what's considered 'regular Diesel engine oil', but rather 0w20 DexosDiesel. IDK what the costs are associated with either. Just bringing up b/c oftentimes the diesel talks on forums are sold to others as 'diesels take gallons and gas takes quarts' ....... not sure that applies with these particular engines of today.

Also not certain what the Baby D-Max's capacity and change interval is.

8. Member
    So looked up the vehicle data to answer your questions, DEF 5.3 gal. engine oil with filter is 7 quarts. "Depending on driving condition, engine oil life system may not indicate oil change for up to a year" (out of manual). We will have to see how many miles before "change oil light" comes on, we also probably depend on how much towing we do. A lot less oil considering what it takes for a full size diesel. We normally change oil on diesels about every 4k miles regardless.

9. Member
    2021 full-size GM SUV’s will be available with the Baby-D as well. We’ve been building pilot vehicles for a while. Launch for 2021’s is coming soon, but diesel model will be a few months out. Escalade is a little while out as well.

10. Member
    sounds like competition for the eco diesel I will stay with my cummins and if you learn your diesel you can do your own maintenance mine is 13 qt oil capacity and 3 filters $587.00 I buy mine from amazon for roughly $200.00 and do it myself for piece of mind.

Nice rig!
    Dawnpatrol.
    Goin Fishing be home for Hunting Season !!!!!!!!!

12. Member
    Congrats and good luck looks sweet.

13. Member

14. Member
    Love them bow ties

15. Member
    I'm a GMC diesel guy - I've got a '17 with 95,000 miles on it, but in a few years when I hit 200,000 I'm hoping those have worn well and might pick one up. Keep us updated. Good luck with it!

16. Member
    Thanks all, so far loving it and the mileage.

17. Banned
    These diesels are great options, but unfortunately, in my neck of the woods anyway they have 2 down falls.
    1. There price is at a premium, in my opinion is not worth the extra cost for performance. Example, I have a F150 xlt 2.7 eb which is great performance for the cost. To upgrade to the diesel model I would have to get the platinum model then upgrade to the diesel option. That's $30k difference in price. Mind you, dodge offers thier diesel in all trim levels, however, the lower the trim level the higher the cost for diesel option.
    2. Diesel mechanics are hard to come by. The ram guys have to wait 2-3 weeks to see a diesel technician as their dealer only offers the tech once a week. So if you have warranty claim through ram you could be out of your truck for several weeks (they don't give you a rental).

Again this issue is in my area, may be different in yours.

18. Member
    Jtracc ....... that's the great thing about the Chevy, the baby-D'max is offered in a lower mid-level trim package (LT) and is no where near the price hike for the diesel like a lot of brands tend to be, especially like the 3/4-1ton market. It's something like ~$2500 more than a 5.3L (which is the exact same price increase if you want the 6.2L over the 5.3L as well).

19. Member
    These new smaller diesels are awesome. My Ranger puller is a Ram ecodiesel. I see 20-21mpg pulling the boat and usually average 26-27 on the highway without. Diesel is about .25-.30 higher a gallon here so it nearly equals out in daily driving, but I use far less fuel on the weekends fishing than I did with my old gas burner Titan. 1/4 tank a trip vs 1/2 a tank or more before.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qwkdraw21 View Post
    Thanks all, so far loving it and the mileage.
    qwkdraw21, how well does that diesel pull that Ranger 620? I pull my 619 with a 5.3L GM van. It's a dog on any hills and I'm interested in the Tahoe with a diesel when they come out later this year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast