Thread: BFL Regional

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BFL Regional

I'm fishing the regional as a co angler for the time and want to make use I have the correct license. I know I will need a DC license just in case but can I get either a Maryland or Virginia License and be ok no matter where my boater takes me? And I see if you go south so far past a bridge you need a saltwater license (if I'm reading that correctly). Will I need that even though I'm just bass fishing? Thanks

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OHIO7935 View Post
    I'm fishing the regional as a co angler for the time and want to make use I have the correct license. I know I will need a DC license just in case but can I get either a Maryland or Virginia License and be ok no matter where my boater takes me? And I see if you go south so far past a bridge you need a saltwater license (if I'm reading that correctly). Will I need that even though I'm just bass fishing? Thanks

You only need the VA or MD license as long as you don't go into the DC area. The Saltwater license you mentioned is not something I would get ahead of time. In 25 years of fishing there a couple of times each year I don't know anyone that has run that far down the river.

3. Member
    I see Virginia has a 5 day Freshwater/saltwater license. That should cover me no matter where we go except the DC area, Correct?

4. Member
    Why not just get the 5 day freshwater?
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

5. Member
    I just want to make sure I'm covered just in case my boater runs to area that I need it. Better safe than sorry lol.

My opinion is get the freshwater only: I too doubt someone is running that far down and only by the DC if you draw a boater that says he is making the run up there. You can get it online after the pairing.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

7. Member
    Thanks for the responses! How's the bite been? I can't wait to get out on the water!

I remember fishing a BASS Weekend series championship down there in like 2006 and when I went to get the DC licence there was a boater safety coarse that was needed to purchase it. I did take it online at the time not sure if that still applies now or not.

9. Member
    I did see that about the safety course, but I figured that would only pertain to the boat owner. Or would Co angler's still need to take it?

Check the Potomac River Fisheries Commission web site. They explain all the requirement for the Potomac and also offer a license that will cover everything except above the Wilson bridge...DC.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by potomacbassin View Post
    Why not just get the 5 day freshwater?
    Because a freshwater licence does not include the Potomac.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

I did see that about the safety course, but I figured that would only pertain to the boat owner. Or would Co angler's still need to take it?
    Very good point did not think about that when I wrote my post about you being a non boater sorry about that.

13. Member
    Thanks for the responses! How's the bite been? I can't wait to get out on the water!
    the fishing has been tough

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Because a freshwater licence does not include the Potomac.
    This is not true. Freshwater Va license is good above the 301 bridge. Save money and just get the freshwater.

15. Member
    Just in case anyone comes here years down the road wondering what VA license you need from 301 bridge to DC line - it's freshwater only. Go buy another bag of senkos instead of getting fresh & saltwater.

**Edit - Take note below that it looks like 10 day saltwater only is cheaper than all options and will have you covered in most situations**
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by potomacbassin; 10-10-2019 at 10:51 AM.

VA NR 5day freshwater costs more than 10 day saltwater. freshwater good only from Wilson bridge down to 301 bridge. saltwater good from Wilson bridge down stream as far as you want to go.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Islands View Post
    VA NR 5day freshwater costs more than 10 day saltwater. freshwater good only from Wilson bridge down to 301 bridge. saltwater good from Wilson bridge down stream as far as you want to go.
    He's right. I didn't know saltwater was $10 alone. Saltwater is the way to go if only fishing for the weekend. Definitely don't get the two combined (fresh&salt).

Anyone out of state or in state (VA, MD) that fishes the Potomac
    often
    (only the Potomac) should check the PRFC permits available, especially the "Pleasure Boat" permit. Covers everyone on the boat and has a sticker that you apply behind the boat reg numbers...the patrol boats see it and pass on by vs a permit inspection.

19. mikesxpress
    We still haven't had any rain here or up river (for over a month) to push the saltwater back. You can catch blue fish and an occasional red fish in Aquia. With the salinity levels this high you might want to skip the fishing license and bring a bucket of chicken and gallon of sweet tea instead.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    We still haven't had any rain here or up river (for over a month) to push the saltwater back. You can catch blue fish and an occasional red fish in Aquia. With the salinity levels this high you might want to skip the fishing license and bring a bucket of chicken and gallon of sweet tea instead.
    Defiantly going to be some unhappy guy's after this one. Bet more than 50% will not have a limit. River is the worst I have seen in a very long time.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast