Help connecting controls/wiring

I'm in the middle of restoring a boat and need a little help, learning as I go. I purchased new controls (PN 881170A15, 8pin connector) which I will be going to a 1992 150 XR6 (sorry I don't have the serial number, sticker has been painted over, if anyone can tell me where to find it on the block that would be great).

The motor side I have figured out (wiring and shifter/throttle cables) What I'm having trouble with is the tach harness pigtail at the control box. I've searched for a diagram and can't seem to find the one I need. The pigtail (pic) has a 5 pin plug with Black, Purple, Gray, Brown/White (I've been told this is the Tach sender), Tan/blue wires and then there are 4 loose wires...Red, Tan, Green/White, Blue/White.

The only gauges I will be installing are Tach, Trim, Water Pressure and Jackplate. I've got the Water Pressure and Jackplate figured out. My assumption is that the pigtail will be wires for the Tach and the Trim gauge but am unsure as to what colors go where. Can anyone either please tell me or point me in the direction of a diagram. Is there another harness I need to get for the 5 pin plug? Thanks

IMG_20191008_083456150.jpg

2. Member
    electric-motor-wire-color-code-wire-center-3-phase-circuit-color-chart.jpg
    standard color chart for mercury
    grey is the tach

3. Member
    You can look for a Welch or freeze plug on the outboard which would have the serial number on it. Just search “Mercury Welch plug serial number” on google to find places it would be on your outboard.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    Ok, thanks...so according to the chart for the loose wires the blue/white and the green/white would/could go to a bow trim switch, the red is just a hot and it doesn't seem like I would be using the brown for anything at the console.

everything in the 5 pin gauge is for the tach/trim with the brown/white being the sender to the Trim Gauge, the gray being the Tach signal, purple being a hot when the ignition switch is on and the tan/blue being the warning horn.

Is the proper harness then part number 86396A8 to go to my tach and trim gauge?

5. Member
    With pictures, right here in the Merc forums.

How to find your serial number on your Mercury outboard
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax