BIG LIFE DECISION: To move or not to move? (Milwaukee to Sacramento)

Hey guys,

I'll try to keep this short, but I'm looking to exhaust all resources in order to help make my decision. I currently live in Wisconsin and have a very realistic opportunity to move to Sacramento. My concern is the cost of living, the cost of boat ownership, and how much I would need to adapt and change from my current lifestyle.

I would only be making around 72k a year, which doesn't seem like a lot when I research apartments, boat storage fees etc. My concern is I'd have to sell off a considerable amount of toys, acquire roommates as an almost 30 year old adult, and potentially facing the fact that I may not find myself owning a home in the next 5 years if I don't find a different line of work.

Current rent: 995
    Boat Insurance: 35

Also, with the smog restrictions, I'm assuming my truck ('02 Silverado with 250k miles) would be a risk to try and keep with intermittent CEL's and repairs??
    Has anyone dealt with transferring to an older vehicle upon moving from out of state?

How is the fishing culture in Sacramento?

Do you find the clubs and trails welcoming to outsiders?

I currently pay 70 a month for an outdoor storage spot for my boat and never have to worry about theft.

My main motivation to move is to have mountains nearby (spent some time out west in the military and loved it), and also have some bucket list bodies of water within a short drive.

I currently have a 1999 Ranger 518, what sort of issues would I face, if any, with an older two stroke on some of these bodies of water?

If you took the time to read this I really appreciate it!!

-Dan-

Any insight on this move, or questions I could answer to help provide some feedback would be much appreciated.

2. Member
    Sac is getting expensive to live there. Traffic sucks. But you would be close to alot of good fishing. Clearlake is 2 hr drive. Delta and Sac river are close .Berryessa less than 2 hours and lots of foothill lakes.
    No problem with the 2 stroke yet except Tahoe
    Depending on where you would work i would consider some of the smaller towns out of Sac
    Smog laws differ from county to county

Sorry, but there's no way I would move to California from ANY other State !! AND I live HERE !! Calif is going to Hell in a hand cart !! Tax's, gasoline (Highest in the nation) cost of living and that's not to mention all the Illegal Aliens and homeless taking over. Our "Fearless" leaders (Dem's) are giving everything away to people who have never contributed anything to the system. And don't even get me started on "Sanctuary Cities" !! Your rent, depending on where, would almost double unless you get a 1-bedroom or Studio, and good luck on that boat insurance, try $450/yr !! Your Truck, $250-400 for license, and at least that in insurance, every 6 mo. Sure the Fishing is great, so just plan a vacation out here instead and stay where you are, or move south. The ONLY thing keeping me here, are my kids, and grandkids. When they disperse, so will I !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    I guess the first question i'd have for you, is though you have the opportunity - why do you need to move to Sac? 72k a year, as a single young adult isn't bad and i'd think you would be just fine with a few adjustments as you mentioned.

The ultimate question for yourself is, is it worth leaving any family/friends you have there behind? I'm only 33, so take this as you will - but i've learned over the years that nothing is more important than the people around you. Work is just that, money comes and goes.

As far as the fishing culture and clubs, it's bountiful no doubt. Plenty of online groups to join and start meeting folks in that area. If you wanted to come a bit south (about an hour), i'm always open to meeting others in the fishing game as well.

I've lived in Ca all of my life, and yes it has it's fair share of issues...probably more so than other states. But, as long as i have family here i'll be around. Fishing is great, having body of water options all around is amazing. I hunt as well, and there is decent meat to be taken if you know where to go.

Either way, GL in your decision.

2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Sorry, but there's no way I would move to California from ANY other State !! AND I live HERE !! Calif is going to Hell in a hand cart !! Tax's, gasoline (Highest in the nation) cost of living and that's not to mention all the Illegal Aliens and homeless taking over. Our "Fearless" leaders (Dem's) are giving everything away to people who have never contributed anything to the system. And don't even get me started on "Sanctuary Cities" !! Your rent, depending on where, would almost double unless you get a 1-bedroom or Studio, and good luck on that boat insurance, try $450/yr !! Your Truck, $250-400 for license, and at least that in insurance, every 6 mo. Sure the Fishing is great, so just plan a vacation out here instead and stay where you are, or move south. The ONLY thing keeping me here, are my kids, and grandkids. When they disperse, so will I !!!
    SAD but well put Mitch

6. Member
    My parents have turned into snowbirds and will be in Florida a majority of the year, and within the last 5 years both of my sisters have moved to San Francisco, so family does play a role. However, my family travels very well and the distance doesn't seem to take away from us spending quality time together.

I spent 8 years in Utah and became an avid snowboarder, snowmobiler, backpacker, and all things mountain. Although, bass fishing will always be #1. Sacramento seemed like the only place that I could really have everything I wanted. I've even kept my mountain sled ('13 Pro RMK for those who know) in the case that I moved back west. I'm extremely tired of Wisconsin winter's and how the lack of snow, but abundance of cold keeps me from really doing much for 8+ months out of the year, especially for someone who's been spoiled by Utah winters. The fact that I could potentially fish year-round is a huge factor, while still having winter as an option up in Tahoe. It all sounds too good to be true, hence why I'm trying to get a grasp on the pros/cons from those who have a direct experience.

I'm trying to gather an idea on what sort of adjustments I would need to make.

The insurance seems out of control! I currently spend 37/month for premium coverage on the boat and 45 dollars on my truck for just liability, as its truly a reliable beater ( its paid off and it pulls).

some of things I've considered:

selling my boat and grabbing a cheap aluminum boat for better fuel economy, cheaper storage, and less stress of ownership (gel coat maintenance, towing weight, etc..)
    Then picking up a midsize truck/SUV for economical purposes.
    Roommates again:(
    Purchasing a home and renting rooms? (seems to be common in Sac)

AND if anyone has any input on boat storage I'd love to hear it. The cheapest I found was actually dry stack storage near Discovery Bay....an additional 20/month on top of the 130/month allows me to store my trailer if I were to use it for a trip to a different body of water.

California is such a touchy subject in a lot of ways with people. Bottom line, I just want to have fun with my hobbies while minding my own business and surrounding myself with the right people.

My biggest concern is moving out there and failing to get on the water and up in the mountains enough to justify living there due to the financial crunch that I'm not accustomed to.

Id be working near the Arden-Arcade area. I'm not familiar with Sacramento's "good and bad parts".

I'd be more than willing to commute to work, as I commute an hour each way here in Milwaukee.

Thanks for the input guys. I hope to keep this conversation rolling.
    Last edited by djp622; 10-08-2019 at 02:47 PM.

7. Banned
    It is expensive. A 1br apartment in that area is about $1400/mo. Regular unleaded is about $4 a gallon. Smog testing would be an enhanced area and would require initial and biennial testing. I have a 1993 Ford beater and still pay $150 for reg. New truck is about $850. Boat reg is $36 for two years. Income tax is high. Sales tax is 8.75.

8. Member
    Sure Fuel , taxes are high , Rent is high . But you can fish year round on some of the best bodies of water around . Wife has been trying to get me to move for years. Im 1 mile from Clearlake and dont plan on going anywhere

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post

This exactly!
    Native Titan 10.5 Kayak

10. Member
    My kid lives in Roseville, a short commute to Sac. Pisses me off when he sends me pics of all the stuff he has access to. Many lakes and major rivers within 2 hrs. I'm retired and here to stay. If you can get past the high cost of everything and political bs(sorry) Cali has lots to offer.

I live in south Sacramento. 1 hour to the Delta, 1 to Camanche, 1 to Berryessa, 1 1/4 to Sherman Lake, and 2-2 1/2 to Clear Lake.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by bigmess View Post
    My kid lives in Roseville, a short commute to Sac. Pisses me off when he sends me pics of all the stuff he has access to. Many lakes and major rivers within 2 hrs. I'm retired and here to stay. If you can get past the high cost of everything and political bs(sorry) Cali has lots to offer.
    I thought your location was a joke until I searched for Prunedale on Google Maps. Is there a story behind the naming of that town?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

13. Member
    Don't know. Been here for 45 years. My wife lived on a prune farm in Gilroy a little north. Great weather, within 3 hrs of a lot of good stuff.

If you love the mountains, great snow, fantastic hunting and fishing Southern Utah is were you need to be. I retired and left Comifornia 10 yrs ago. I fly fish in the mountains and bass fish year round. Brian head ski resort is 45 minutes up the mountain. Clean air, low cost of living and NO SMOG checks!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

15. Member
    I know your post said that your looking to move to Calif, but Mitch is absolutely right on. I lived in the San Joaquin valley for 41 yrs, married a local girl, raised two boys,and watched all her family move away, including my two boys until last June when we moved to Central Oregon. I thought my bass fishing days were gone! Not the case, lakes aren't as deep here, but full of bass. Yes I do miss the Motherlode lakes but I don't miss the high fuel prices and registering the vehicles and the crowded unpaved hwys that the politicians that say they need more tax money so they can fix them, I waited 40 plus years and never seen the improvements made. I can always go back to visit the Motherlode lakes, Delta, and Clear Lake when I need my fixing. Good luck in your decision but ya gotta ask yourself why so many leave the state never to return or to only visit. Cost of living IMOP didn't out weigh what it had to offer. Good luck hope you fine what your looking for, I know I did.

Quote Originally Posted by steveblack View Post
    I know your post said that your looking to move to Calif, but Mitch is absolutely right on. I lived in the San Joaquin valley for 41 yrs, married a local girl, raised two boys,and watched all her family move away, including my two boys until last June when we moved to Central Oregon. I thought my bass fishing days were gone! Not the case, lakes aren't as deep here, but full of bass. Yes I do miss the Motherlode lakes but I don't miss the high fuel prices and registering the vehicles and the crowded unpaved hwys that the politicians that say they need more tax money so they can fix them, I waited 40 plus years and never seen the improvements made. I can always go back to visit the Motherlode lakes, Delta, and Clear Lake when I need my fixing. Good luck in your decision but ya gotta ask yourself why so many leave the state never to return or to only visit. Cost of living IMOP didn't out weigh what it had to offer. Good luck hope you fine what your looking for, I know I did.
    Steve, I used to haul RR Wheels into Roseburg and liked the sleepy little town !! What are the lakes that you fish for Bass in the area ?
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

17. Member
    Mitch, sorry for the long delay in answering you, been busy fishing and clearing the new property of down trees from last years snow storms that don't happen very often according to the locals lol. Anyway I joined the Umpqua Valley Bassmaster club in June, a great bunch of guys, low key club tournaments but good talented competition. They travel all over Oregon and some Calif lakes. I actually live 15 mins from Ben Erving Res not big but large blacks in it . Not deep maybe some pockets of 25ft but the largies seem to like the shallow bank a lot regardless of air temps. Ive seen several pic of 7,8, and 9 lbers this last summer. As for lakes close by, with in a hour and a half, coastal lakes Ten Mile Lake, Tahkeitch, Siltcoos Lake. In land less than a hour, Cottage Grove Res, Dorena Lake Res, Galesville Res, Cooper creek just to name a few. Not much pressure for bass fisherman, most people fish for Salmon,Trout etc, not knocking them but I'm sure I'll open that chapter later. Another nice thing is boat launching on most bodies of water are no more than $4 bucks... wow don't miss those Calif prices. My favorite lake hands down has to be Ten Mile Lake along the coast. Ive viewed a few weigh ins and there's always several teams with big fish over 6lbs or bigger, almost like Clear Lake. Cottage Grove Lake is the only lake that has Spots that Ive seen or have heard of. Roseburg is slow paced but the wife and I love it for that reason, just in time as we gear up for retirement, and the people are all very friendly as long as you don't bring the Calif rat race with ya lol.