Prop and setback

Anybody running a 98 PE with an 8in setback, a 4 blade 25p on a 225 Johnson h.o. carbureted?
    Last edited by Stratos_hand; 10-15-2019 at 07:59 AM.

2. Member
    Obviously not.

3. Member
    i fish out of a 97 pe with 225 venom pretty regular,any help?

4. Member
    What’s your setup?

5. Member
    Different but if it helps. I have a 98 201pe 97 Johnson 225 non h.o. 5.5” setback 4 blade 25p renegade 3-3.5 below the pad.

Trash the Renegade and get a Trophy. Use a Michigan wheel #200 hub kit. 25P should be about right
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    The reason I’m asking if ppl with PE’s are running 4 blade and setback is for rough water performance as far as holding the boat up loaded out. I’m using a hot foot so I have control there but I notice with my 3 blade I have to go to fast to keep it up and I want to run slower and didn’t know if the 4 blade would allow me to do that.

8. Member
    the one i fish out of has the lean,got it better,the trophy that was on
    it was horrible,he took it off to have redone and his crackhead stepson
    stole it and sold it.I put a worked 24 raker on it and it does well for
    his use.5800 runs right at 68.honestly his boat is just terrible
    handling at slow speeds no matter how i set it or prop.

The 4 blade will perform better in rough water and hold the boat up at slower speeds in general. If you were close I'd let you try my 25 Trophy. Maybe a guy around you will let you try his, just make sure it has low hours on it and if rebuilt then done by a shop that knows how. So many prop shops do a terrible job although they look pretty. And don't forget to get the #200 Michigan Wheel Hub Kit.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

10. Member
    I have a '97 Stratos 201 with a 2001 Johnson 225 Ho. I run a Renegade 27 4-blade prop that Matk Croxton shaped up for me. I have a 8" HiJacker jackplate. This setup serves me well on midsouth lakes, especially Kentucky-Barkley lakes. I do use a hotfoot.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ski213 View Post
    Different but if it helps. I have a 98 201pe 97 Johnson 225 non h.o. 5.5” setback 4 blade 25p renegade 3-3.5 below the pad.
    thank you. What speeds are you running at?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    The 4 blade will perform better in rough water and hold the boat up at slower speeds in general. If you were close I'd let you try my 25 Trophy. Maybe a guy around you will let you try his, just make sure it has low hours on it and if rebuilt then done by a shop that knows how. So many prop shops do a terrible job although they look pretty. And don't forget to get the #200 Michigan Wheel Hub Kit.
    ya that would be nice to find somebody that’s willing to let me make a couple of runs with there prop and do some good testing. Thanks for the info

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoStratos View Post
    I have a '97 Stratos 201 with a 2001 Johnson 225 Ho. I run a Renegade 27 4-blade prop that Matk Croxton shaped up for me. I have a 8" HiJacker jackplate. This setup serves me well on midsouth lakes, especially Kentucky-Barkley lakes. I do use a hotfoot.
    right on what speeds are you getting? I made a video of my last run and guys were telling me I’m not lifting the boat enough. How much lift puts the boat right on the pad in the sweet spot?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos_hand View Post
    thank you. What speeds are you running at?
    Generally right around 68-69 loaded.

15. Member
    Best speed I get is 70-71. Full gas tank and partner, 67-68. Stratos 201 Pro XLDC.

16. Member
    How much bow lift is good lift? I know hard to judge but what’s a good way of putting it.

You will know it when you feel it, it just feels like you're flying and you will notice less drag. That said once you are there don't let off the gas fast and better yet start trimming down before you let off the gas.

18. Member
    Ok I’m already there then and ya when slowing down she pops and gets western I always trim down before coming off plane. Thanks