Thread: Gt 54 vs gt 30

Gt 54 vs gt 30

I’m currently running running 12” echomap ultra with a gt30 transducer. Well it went bad. Since it needs replaced was wondering if it’s worth upgrading to the gt 54? Has anyone seen any comparisons?

2. Member
    The GT54 is not an upgrade. It's just different. The UHF part is a downgrade. It's positive points are that it can use 455 kHz non-UHF that the GT30 cannot and it has 2d that the GT30 does not and that it is shorter that in come cases is more convenient to install. I am using one every trip on the TM, but I use it on 455 for SideVu. There are lots of 455 kHz choices. The 2d is excellent.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Well I ordered the gt 54uhd. Garmin swears I will see a difference with my ultras vs the gt 30. What do U mean by UHF?

4. Member
    Typo. UHD. See a difference? Yes. the GT54 will be different than the GT30.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    When u say different. Will the clarity be any better with the 54? Garmin swears it will be with my ultras.

6. Member
    Yes. The uhd is great. The range on uhd is pretty limited, but is very clear. The 455 si has great range though. I really like the gt54.

7. Member
    GT34 1060-1170 0.44x55 500 watts UHD
    GT54 1080-1230 0.64x52 350 watts UHD
    GT30 790-850 0.7x30 500 watts nonUHD

You can depend on Garmin transducers to perform according to their specs.

8. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I ordered a gt 34 to play with on my 1224

9. Member
    What exactly do they specs mean?

10. Member
    Those specs are the sidevu beam frequency, angle, and power for each transducer.

11. Member
    I sure hope I like the 54uhd. I had just got my gt30 dialed in good before it went out.

12. Member
    If you fish in less than 50', you will like the uhd.
    For deeper water or more range, you can switch the frequency to 455khz.
    The 2d sonar is great.
    IMO, the GT54 is a great all-around transducer.

13. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I ran the gt 30 and 54 side by side even had a buddy with me and we could not tell the difference between the 2 10 inch ultra and 1242 .Iam hoping the 34 does better

14. Member
    SamMule, you have a point. IMO it was not designed to be the very best UHD but as you said a great all-around transducer. The shorter length places some limitations on just how good the UHD can be, but at the same time allows it to fit on a lot of trolling motors. It looks like that was the plan as the Force comes with one pre-installed. As much as I've critized the UHD, I do like this transducer and use it every trip. I fish deep water so the SideVu is always on 455. The cone is a bit wider front to back than some others that produce better structure detail but I prefer that to show fish better. Also, very little is said about the ClearVu and your only frequency choice on it is the 800 non-UHD. It is an excellent performer for showing fish, even in deep water. The 2d is outstanding.

There do seem to be some who are totally focused on UHD side imaging best detail. If you narrow the consideration to that one performance criteria, then the GT34 is a better choice. And its usefullness is primarily shallow water.