Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garmin Steady Cast

I installed the Steady Cast after never getting my point 1 to read correctly. So far it’s working as advertised.
    i do have one question however.... Every time I power up my units it’s saying a calibration is required. So far I’ve done the calibration 3 times with a successful calibration each time. Am I missing something or will message keep popping up. The past couple of trips I’ve ignored the message and it still appears to work fine. Thanks
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

2. Member
    Are you doing the Menu based calibration or the basic manual method?
    What number (0-100) is reported at the end of the calibration?
    Do you also do the Headling Alignment? Will it start or does it report an error?

Is it possible that the calibration referred to is for a different device or does the message specifically say SteadCast?

Now I'm guessing as I am trying to recall this from memory. On some Garmin processes, at the end there appears the word "Done" which must be selected to save what you have done. If you hit "Back" what you just did is not saved. I don't remember if SteadyCast calibration completes like this, but I think it does.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Thanks for the reply.... I’ve been doing the menu based calibration. Get a Q84. Have clicked done each time. Without performing a calibration I can go into the NMEA devices list it shows an Q84 under the calibration tab.
    I’ve not done heading alignment yet, wasn’t sure that was necessary if getting a success message with the menus based calibration.
    will do that next trip out..
    USAF Retired

4. Member
    It won't get rid of the message. It just fine tunes the pointing.

Now for the standard help desk question. What unit and what version of software for the unit and the SteadyCast. That shows in your Device List. That's because that sometimes a problem is resolved just by updating to the latest software version.

List every device on the networks.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 10-07-2019 at 08:01 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

You need to do both the compass calibration and auto heading alignment for the calibration message to go away. Or, if you are happy with the performance right now, instead of doing the auto heading, you should also be able to use the fine heading adjustment and set it to zero.
    Garmin Pro Team

Thanks for all of the assistance! Working great now
    USAF Retired

7. Member
    Related question here. I am thinking about adding one (and a NMEA2000 network for it) to my kayak. I will disconnect it from power each time I head home. I assume each time out I will need to recalibrate since the puck will be disconnected from power. I have a 73SV chirp unit which I understand does not have menu based calibration. How do you initiate a calibration with the steadycast if it is not menu based? I have also read that the manual calibration is a little tricky but I am not sure how true that is. Can anyone comment on that?

Last question. Could I put this inside my kayak hull? I think it is a compass and so would not need to see the sky to work.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxfisher View Post
    Related question here. I am thinking about adding one (and a NMEA2000 network for it) to my kayak. I will disconnect it from power each time I head home. I assume each time out I will need to recalibrate since the puck will be disconnected from power. I have a 73SV chirp unit which I understand does not have menu based calibration. How do you initiate a calibration with the steadycast if it is not menu based? I have also read that the manual calibration is a little tricky but I am not sure how true that is. Can anyone comment on that?

Last question. Could I put this inside my kayak hull? I think it is a compass and so would not need to see the sky to work.
    As long as you permanently mount the SteadyCast and don't physically remove it, then no you only need to calibrate it once. Killing power to the N2K network when not in use is a normal install and does not initiate another required calibration.
    Garmin Pro Team

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    As long as you permanently mount the SteadyCast and don't physically remove it, then no you only need to calibrate it once. Killing power to the N2K network when not in use is a normal install and does not initiate another required calibration.

Thanks! That is awesome and great to hear.

The advice here has been spot on!

The installation manual says you can mount it anywhere and in any orientation. Mine is upside down under my console. I also disconnect all power from my boat with a Perko switch... no issues at all.
    USAF Retired

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J D View Post
    The advice here has been spot on!

The installation manual says you can mount it anywhere and in any orientation. Mine is upside down under my console. I also disconnect all power from my boat with a Perko switch... no issues at all.
    Great! I was curious about upside down but I guess during the calibration it figures all that stuff out. Thanks for adding that.

The only thing I am still not sure about is how do you initiate a calibration on an echomap unit! I read that it does not have a menu based calibration so I am not sure how you tell/ask it to calibrate.

Great! I was curious about upside down but I guess during the calibration it figures all that stuff out. Thanks for adding that.

The only thing I am still not sure about is how do you initiate a calibration on an echomap unit! I read that it does not have a menu based calibration so I am not sure how you tell/ask it to calibrate.
    See page 3 of the SteadyCast manual:

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Stead...Install_EN.pdf
    Garmin Pro Team

13. Member
    When you have one steadycast sensor through your nmea 2000 and two units do both units need to be hooked to the nmea2000 or will they share the steadycast through the Ethernet cable that joins the two units?

Quote Originally Posted by Pigdog72 View Post
    When you have one steadycast sensor through your nmea 2000 and two units do both units need to be hooked to the nmea2000 or will they share the steadycast through the Ethernet cable that joins the two units?
    SteadyCast only shares through NMEA2000.
    Garmin Pro Team

15. Member
    Would the steadycast help with the anchorlock mode on the force trolling motor. Ive Not had a lot of time with it but sometimes it seems to go crazy trying to find where it wants to be!!!
    2022 Ranger RB190
    Mercury 115 Proxs

16. Member
    No. I have requested that the programming be added to include SteadyCast data when it is present but no word if that will happen.

17. Member
    Can anyone explain to me exactly what the SteadyCast does?
    I understand it helps give you more accurate casts as per your finder but I’m trying to understand how it works.

I have a echomaps plus unit, is it compatible with it?

thanks

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by datbasstho View Post
    Can anyone explain to me exactly what the SteadyCast does?
    I understand it helps give you more accurate casts as per your finder but I’m trying to understand how it works.

I have a echomaps plus unit, is it compatible with it?

thanks
    Steadycast is just an electronic compass. You calibrate it so that it will show the direction that the front of the boat is pointing. If I am on a calm lake and driving in a perfectly straight line then the heading from the GPS and the heading from the Steadycast are identical (once calibrated).

Why would you need a Steadycast? GPS heading only provides direction when you are moving. If you are sitting still or moving super slow the GPS direction may or may not be in the direction of the bow of the boat. If the wind is pushing you sideways the GPS heading will be orthogonal (90 degrees) with respect to the bow of the boat. If I am sitting fairly still trying to line up a cast to a way point then I want to use the heading of my Steadycast to show me in which direction you would want to cast.

You can use the Steadycast with any NMEA network compatible FF. The Plus units do have an NMEA 2000 network port on them. To use a Steadycast you need to create an NMEA2000 network (I am not sure if it NMEA 0183 compatible). You can't plug the Steadycast directly into the FF.

It is really pretty easy to set up - I added one to my kayak. Helps me a ton when I am fishing a precise spot and a cross wind is pushing me around.

19. Member
    Steadycast is just an electronic compass. You calibrate it so that it will show the direction that the front of the boat is pointing. If I am on a calm lake and driving in a perfectly straight line then the heading from the GPS and the heading from the Steadycast are identical (once calibrated).

Why would you need a Steadycast? GPS heading only provides direction when you are moving. If you are sitting still or moving super slow the GPS direction may or may not be in the direction of the bow of the boat. If the wind is pushing you sideways the GPS heading will be orthogonal (90 degrees) with respect to the bow of the boat. If I am sitting fairly still trying to line up a cast to a way point then I want to use the heading of my Steadycast to show me in which direction you would want to cast.

You can use the Steadycast with any NMEA network compatible FF. The Plus units do have an NMEA 2000 network port on them. To use a Steadycast you need to create an NMEA2000 network (I am not sure if it NMEA 0183 compatible). You can't plug the Steadycast directly into the FF.

It is really pretty easy to set up - I added one to my kayak. Helps me a ton when I am fishing a precise spot and a cross wind is pushing me around.
    Wow, ok that was an excellent explanation, I totally understand now.

Thank you!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    No. I have requested that the programming be added to include SteadyCast data when it is present but no word if that will happen.
    Leonard, is something change with SteadyCast as heading source to Force TM?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast