Flipover shelters

What would be your choice of a large 1-man or 2-man flipover? Doesn't have to be insulated.
    Leaning towards the Otter Cottage, but we don't have a lot to look at in-person in southern ice country.

2. Member
    I like both the Otters and Clams. I have an Otter Cabin 1200, and am going to the 1200 Cottage or Clam Nanook (had one before). Mainly, because I fish by myself and the Cabin is getting a little heavy getting it in/out of the truck solo. The Nanook I would say is a big one man, as is the Cottage. The Cabin fishes 2 comfortably. You can fish 2 out of the Nanook, but it's a little tight.

Also, get the insulated house! You may not need it, but it's nice to not run heat all the time, and you don't get the wind noise...which is a major benefit in my opinion.

I've fished out of an Otter Cabin. My buddy has one. (We've actually fished three in it before. Very cozy! ) But it is a little heavy for one person. Looks like the Nanook is slightly bigger by fishable area than the cottage. Maybe inbetween the Cabin and Cottage. Actually, I'm not seeing the Nanook on Clam's website, just the Nanook XL so maybe getting phased out.

How would you compare the Clam and the Otter for ease of use, features, etc. I've always heard that Otter are the best-made, most durable.

Down here, our Cabelas/BPS don't even stock ice shelters that I've seen. So its hard to look at them in person.

Thanks for your input!

4. Member
    Some think the Otter is better quality. Personally,.i've never had issues with either.

A couple key differences I can offer. The Clams sit lower, so if you felt like you were hunched over while fishing in the Cabin, the Clam would be better. The seats in the Clam kinda suck, you'll want to put Tempress style seat from your bass boat in it! And lastly, when you walk out, the Otters are much easier to pull in snow...they don't plow as bad as the Clams.

Set up and take down is easy with both, but would give the nod to Clam in windy conditions. The narrow Otter sled would/could roll forward while setting up, before you get the extensions in the frame.

5. Member
    I’d take a look at Frabill shelters. Clams are good but the posts and fabric are thinner than both otter and frabill. Not saying it’s a bad thing because it cuts down on weight but it’s just something to be conscience of. The Frabill has a deeper sled better fabric and poles than clam imo however is also a lot more money. Otter is on par with a Frabill but tends to be heavier so unless you have a sled, it can get hard to pull in snow.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Lot to think about. Thanks guys. I will probably end up going with the Otter due to familiarity. Looking forward to ice season!

im in for the otter brand as their sleds seem better across the board than clam
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089