Quote Originally Posted by Great Scott View Post
    Can someone give me the brand name or the vendor
    that sells a digital that mounts on the surface of the dash,
    and hooks to the ignition. No room nor do I want any
    holes in my dash. I have room for a rectangular unit
    that attaches w/2 screws or 2 sided tape. LDS
    Tiny Tach

3. Banned
    Not sure what they cost but using the mercury phone app with the thing you buy to mount under the cowling could be a good option.

4. Member
    I had an under the cowl on my last motor, that because I didnt know what I was buying.
    I dont want another one. Thanks LDS
    Last edited by Great Scott; 10-07-2019 at 07:34 PM.
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

5. Member
    I invested in a cable that went from my 115 Yamaha to my Lowrance and gives me the engine hours on the display. It uses the NEMA network and it's called Interface cable for NMEA2000. Not sure about the Mercury but I would imagine they make a cable that is capable of doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfishnc View Post
    I invested in a cable that went from my 115 Yamaha to my Lowrance and gives me the engine hours on the display. It uses the NEMA network and it's called Interface cable for NMEA2000. Not sure about the Mercury but I would imagine they make a cable that is capable of doing the same thing.
    Unfortunately Mercury does not use NMEA protocol ( which is required to display on a graph) for the engine operating system, they label theirs SmartCraft and have a group of gauges that display the operating information.
    Communicating with a NMEA protocol requires translation and Mercury offers 3 devices to accomplish this: a hard wired SmartCraft/NMEA translator cable, a similar Bluetooth device that can be read on a smartphone, and the level 1 MercMonitor that displays the information as well as translates to NMEA 2000.
    I you only want engine hours, I suggest a Tiny Tac, however, it will not display previous hours that are stored in the engine operating system.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

7. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    This is what I use on my aluminum boat. $20 You wrap the wire around a spark plug wire, ground it, and define a parameter for your engine. It tracks hours operated and RPMs. It's small and I have it mounted with 3M two-sided tape.

https://www.amazon.com/Tachometer-re...538859&sr=8-17

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

8. Member
    Likely more money than you want to spend, but I had a SC1000 tach installed when I bought my boat. It matches my other gages pretty darn good. It gives me all kinds of info straight from the PCM on the motor.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Unfortunately Mercury does not use NMEA protocol ( which is required to display on a graph) for the engine operating system, they label theirs SmartCraft and have a group of gauges that display the operating information.
    Communicating with a NMEA protocol requires translation and Mercury offers 3 devices to accomplish this: a hard wired SmartCraft/NMEA translator cable, a similar Bluetooth device that can be read on a smartphone, and the level 1 MercMonitor that displays the information as well as translates to NMEA 2000.
    I you only want engine hours, I suggest a Tiny Tac, however, it will not display previous hours that are stored in the engine operating system.

10. Member
    I've been thinking about adding one these and just mounting it back by the batteries. Since I'm back there flipping breakers on and off every time I'm on the boat. Could probably just stick it the the aluminum gas tank strap and call it a day.

11. Member
    I too have one of the little one that you wrap wire around plug wire. Put it on truck for a couple days til the hours matched that of what was already on the engine. ( had dealer check while it was in for service). Had them check it vs engine on a service a year in. Darn thing was within .2 of and hour. I am happy with that.
    Semper Fi

12. Member
    I prefer one of the much more feature rich options that Mercury offers, MercMonitor, Vessel View Link, or vessel view mobile, but I want to know more than hours or RPM.

That said, below is a quote copied from the TinyTach website, perhaps pertinent if you wish to mount it at the console.

"Can the wire length be changed? Adjustments to wire length must be made in the black coax cable. Unless you are experienced working with coax, we recommend that you send it back to Design Technology for adjustment. You can request that the Tiny-Tach be custom built with any length coax when you place your order."
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F150owner View Post
    This is what I use on my aluminum boat. $20 You wrap the wire around a spark plug wire, ground it, and define a parameter for your engine. It tracks hours operated and RPMs. It's small and I have it mounted with 3M two-sided tape.

https://www.amazon.com/Tachometer-re...538859&sr=8-17
    Is this dash mountable or does it have to be near the motor?? LDS

UHD 93SV at the console.

14. Member

Dash Mount

Is this dash mountable or does it have to be near the motor?? LDS

It's dash mountable. You may need to designate a longer wire when you order. I've been quite happy with mine.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snag_Devil View Post
    It's dash mountable. You may need to designate a longer wire when you order. I've been quite happy with mine.
    Thanks. Thats sounds like what I need. LDS

UHD 93SV at the console.

I am confused - is this not part of the Merc wiring harness?
    The computer already tracks hours and rpms etc etc as part of diagnostics. At least it does on my suzuki.
    My Suzuki has a plug under the dash, right next to the wires/plug for the tach - all I would need to do is buy the Suzuki multi-function gauge, plug it in - and done.
    That is not the way it is on a Merc?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by delee36 View Post
    I am confused - is this not part of the Merc wiring harness?
    The computer already tracks hours and rpms etc etc as part of diagnostics. At least it does on my suzuki.
    My Suzuki has a plug under the dash, right next to the wires/plug for the tach - all I would need to do is buy the Suzuki multi-function gauge, plug it in - and done.
    That is not the way it is on a Merc?
    Maybe likewise for my boat, but my dash is full of standard gauges, no room for another. I am not going to spend
    another large amount of money for a single multifunction gauge when a small 20.00 gauge will solve my problem.
    LDS

UHD 93SV at the console.