Dropshot reel seat / handle suggestions

Hi All,

I'm going to be building a drop shot rod for myself soon and I'm looking for opinions on handles and reel seats you guys have used.

I started looking at drop shot specific rods online and in some stores and I see quite a few with what looks like a Fuji VSS seat mounted uplocking. Is that comfortable? Just looking for a few ideas before I get started.

Thanks

I don’t fish a spinning reel a lot but the ones I make for myself don’t have any reel seats on them. I find these the most comfortable in my hands. It’s called a Tennessee Handle.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

3. Member
    I've switched over almost completely to Fuji TVS seats, built uplocking. To me they are easy to deal with, I love the insert that give you a little more feel and they are super comfortable to hold.

I've got 2 drop shot rods with them and use them every trip.

Quote Originally Posted by School Master View Post
    I've switched over almost completely to Fuji TVS seats, built uplocking. To me they are easy to deal with, I love the insert that give you a little more feel and they are super comfortable to hold.

I've got 2 drop shot rods with them and use them every trip.
    I like those reel seats myself. I'd just like to know how St. Croix gets by with no insert in some of their models. I built one for a guy and left the insert out and he brought it back cause that opening was flexing on him. Ended up just putting a sk seat on for him.

I've used two options that I really like. The Mudhole Project X aluminum is awesome, really great for sensitivity and balancing longer rods, but it's heavy (relatively speaking) and so will make the whole rod heavier. Some people care, some don't.

The one I've been onto more recently is the G2 Apex from American Tackle. It's similar to the Fuji TVS, but fits my hand a little better, is cheaper, and - I think at least - is built more rigidly. American Tackle says it's okay to build these either with or without the insert, while Fuji says not to use the TVS without an insert. That's pretty telling to me. In any case, I'd let the diameter of the rod dictate whether I use an insert. If the rod is thinner diameter to where you're going to have a big gap without one, use the insert. If it's larger diameter, skip the insert. If it's going to flex, the likelihood of it doing so decreases right along with the amount of gap between blank and seat.

Here's an example of a somewhat recent build I did with the Apex uplocking and a hosel style check so that I didn't have to use any grips. Maximum blank contact = maximum sensitivity, I think! This is built on a Phenix Feather 71M blank, for whatever that's worth (and since it's a Phenix, it fishes like other brands' ML). I've got probably $90 in this one and I'd put it up against production rods costing 5 times as much. Love the way it turned out, and no flex here whatsoever, even on fish up over 5 lbs, one of which buried up into thick coontail and somehow came out on 7 lb test.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Member
    Great suggestions. I'll probably get a TVS and G2 Apex and see what I like better. I can always use the extra seat on another build.

Thanks everyone!

7. Goby King
    I prefer a TN grip with rings on my DS rods.

Rainshadow Eternity

5s610mlxf extended to 7'

5s69mlxf

And even my tube rod.

8. Member
    I ended up going with a TVS built uplocking with the "BackStop" locking hood. I think it turned out great, thanks for the suggestions.

Reel seat.jpg

9. BBC SPONSOR
    The ALPS Rapid reel seat is quite comfortable. We have a graphite, soft touch and the MVT version of it.

RapidReelseat.jpg
    The Best Fishing Rods Start Here: www.BatsonEnterprises.com - www.youtube.com/batsonenterprises - Instagram: @teamrainshadow - Facebook: Batson Enterprises

10. Member
    Scott and his badass handles...I just uplock a DPSM with 2 cork rings on either side.

11. Member
    It’s a Batson blank I’ll check out your seats next time around

12. Member
    I have built several rods with a vss seat up locking and Eva foam. I just really like how light it is and it’s super comfortable to me.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

I like the American Tackle Aero handle with the slight hump feel.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html