Jackplate on a RT188

For the guys that have added either a 4" or 6" plate did you see any true gain from performance and handling? I am running a 115 4stroke CT.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

2. Member
    I have a jackplate on my 115CT, can't say 100% I have "gained" any performance because I have always had it on there. What I can say is that with the jackplate I can get on plane in very shallow water. Very little bow rise at all with the jackplate all the way up. That comes in real handy down here in Florida!

Fastest I've had my boat is 48mph (in optimum conditions). Others on here are able to achieve that without the jackplate...

3. Member
    2mph, period.....
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

4. Member
    Thanks for the response.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4 View Post
    I have a jackplate on my 115CT, can't say 100% I have "gained" any performance because I have always had it on there. What I can say is that with the jackplate I can get on plane in very shallow water. Very little bow rise at all with the jackplate all the way up. That comes in real handy down here in Florida!

Fastest I've had my boat is 48mph (in optimum conditions). Others on here are able to achieve that without the jackplate...
    What prop you running? And at what RPM and speed?

6. Member
    4” Vance jp on a x18 Triton. 19p 4 blade. 2 mph gain. Improved handling and overall drivability. Was worth it in my eyes.
    2014.X18 TRITON Merc 115 pro xs. 19p Spitfire. 4” vance jp. Humminbird helix 12 mega di bow, helix 7 SI Console. Motorguide digital Tour 82

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by x18 View Post
    4” Vance jp on a x18 Triton. 19p 4 blade. 2 mph gain. Improved handling and overall drivability. Was worth it in my eyes.
    New to this and am looking to pickup either a setback or adjustable jackplate. Will all jackplates and setbacks mount up the same? Are are they boat and engine specific?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bunz559 View Post
    New to this and am looking to pickup either a setback or adjustable jackplate. Will all jackplates and setbacks mount up the same? Are are they boat and engine specific?
    I am sure there is a specific application somewhere to a hull manufacturer or engine. Stick with a known plate brand. People have different opinions in setback sizes. 4” 6” etc. I myself went with a 4”. Was not chasing top speed setup. Just drivability. What engine do you have? TH marine and Vance mfg, Bobs machine are probably all safe investments in quality.
    2014.X18 TRITON Merc 115 pro xs. 19p Spitfire. 4” vance jp. Humminbird helix 12 mega di bow, helix 7 SI Console. Motorguide digital Tour 82

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by x18 View Post
    I am sure there is a specific application somewhere to a hull manufacturer or engine. Stick with a known plate brand. People have different opinions in setback sizes. 4” 6” etc. I myself went with a 4”. Was not chasing top speed setup. Just drivability. What engine do you have? TH marine and Vance mfg, Bobs machine are probably all safe investments in quality.
    You're correct. Those seem to be the more popular brands anyways and comparable in price. I have 2014 115 Pro XS 2 stroke on an RT188. Speed is negligible unless really stepping it up in motor and boat size so I wouldn't mind just advancing how the boat rides. I'm mostly in deep reservoirs so I don't really need the instant adjustability of a hydraulic unit.

Quote Originally Posted by bunz559 View Post
    You're correct. Those seem to be the more popular brands anyways and comparable in price. I have 2014 115 Pro XS 2 stroke on an RT188. Speed is negligible unless really stepping it up in motor and boat size so I wouldn't mind just advancing how the boat rides. I'm mostly in deep reservoirs so I don't really need the instant adjustability of a hydraulic unit.
    I started with a 2014 RT188 with 115 ProXS two stroke mounted directly to the transom same as you. I had an early model hull that did not have the trim tabs and it porposed like crazy. Couldn’t trim past 1/4. I was (and still am) running a 20 pitch Laser II and speed was 48/49.
    Ranger replaced my hull ( cracked substrate) with a 2016 and I added the 4 inch setback plate. This hull also has the trim tabs which in combination with the set back plate solved the porposing problem but took 2 to 3 MPH off the top end.
    I am still running the 20 inch Laser II. Hole shot and mid range acceleration is great and it has noticeable bow and hull lift when trimmed out. I really like the way the boat drives and handles. It wants to skid a little in a turn if trimmed all the way out, but just a bump on the trim button settles it down.
    My only regret in the set back plate is the lack of adjustability. If you have a choice, go with a “real” jack plate. My motor is in the second hole and I can’t turn more than 5400 RPM. I moved up to the third hole and I could get up to 5700 but my speed dropped of, indicating increased prop slip. I would like to have the ability to work the P2P distance in 1/4 inch increments.
    FWIW: I have always thought my motor is a little weak. It should pull that 20 inch prop right up to the limiter.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

11. Member
    I appreciate the responses. I think for now I am just going to fish and tweak on the boat later.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link