Model J200STLERK - Bad Remote Shifter or Cable?

Recently changed water pump and set the shifter measuring off the lower unit deck the shifter at 21 15/16". With the cable removed the engine will go in reverse, forward, and neutral and prop will spin accordingly. Attached is picture of shifter range. When I try to connect the cable in neutral and shift in reverse the prop will not rotate, if I go neutral all spins as expected, if I try to go into forward it go ways past the forward line and will not allow the shift handle to go all the way forward and prop will not shift.

Would this be an issue with the remote shifter (concealed side mount shifter), cable or lower unit (clutchdog).

Pulled the lower unit 3 times and confirmed the measurement of the shifter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Bend in shift shaft forward towards the boat?

3. Member
    Don’t currently see any bends in the shift cable, when cable is disconnected from engine it goes forward / reverse with no issue. Once connected to engine seems to over shift forward and reverse too far where prop will not spin.

seems like is over extends it’s by a minimum of 1/2” each way

4. Member
    Connect cable with it shifted in forward

5. Member
    I tried connecting in forward and once I do that then neutral and reverse are off. Neutral you can feel it clank and reverse won’t spin.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    21 15/16" in neutral from deck of LU to the center of the shift rod eye. Shift linkage should be parallel to the crankcase seam. Without cable connected, spin the prop with your foot, should spin freely. Move shift linkage to reverse prop should lock in gear. move linkage back to neutral spinning prop with foot to forward. Repeat 3 times to verify. Return to neutral. Connect cable end to linkage post and adjust trunion knob so it slips easily in to the trunion cradle.

7. Member
    Thanks will test out this afternoon.
    Last edited by Ray_Hubbard; 10-08-2019 at 11:05 AM.

8. Member
    Thanks for all your help. Finally got the issue resolved.