Thread: Ultrex issues

Question Ultrex issues

I bought the 24v 80 pound Ultrex Link the last week of May 2019. Worked great the first couple of times out. Then on the 3rd trip out all of a sudden it wouldn't turn to the left after about 2 hours into the day. Of course this wouldn't allow spot-lock or follow contour to work as well. Took it to the local ASC nearest me and they said they couldn't find a problem. Trolling motor has worked without issue since, until last week. Last week, same issue started, wouldn't turn to the left, but then after a few minutes it started turning all they way to the right on its own. I turned the power off and disconnected the plug and headed back to the ramp. Once I got to the no wake, I plugged it back in, dropped it in the water and it worked fine for the next 5 or 6 hours until the tournament was over.
    The following day it started out working fine for about the first 2 hours, then would not turn left or right, and after a few minutes the prop would not turn, using the momentary button or constant. At that point I just took it back to the ramp and loaded the boat.
    What do you think I have going on here?
    Just for reference, I average fishing 3+ days a week pre-fishing and tournaments, so usually 8+ hours each time out. Only had these issues on 3 occasions.
    Thanks!
    21XRD Bullet, Mercury 250XS
    Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

20XRD Bullet, 2.4L Bridgeport Merc
    899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI

2. Member
    I have my ideas, but with a new trolling motor you should go to an ASC for warranty instead off fixing at your expense. It could get expensive
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    I have my ideas, but with a new trolling motor you should go to an ASC for warranty instead off fixing at your expense. It could get expensive
    Yes sir, I'm going to take it in to the ASC, just was wondering for my own curiosity what problem I'm probably having.
    Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI

4. Member
    where the white plug is the plugs into the steering module. Sometimes it loose or sometimes the wire is making a bad connection. The ASC will know how to check
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Thank you for the insight
    Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI

6. Member
    Bought new Ultrex and went to lake 4 hours away for tournament Deployed motor and started having problems immediately. Minn Kota said ribbon cable bad and take it to ASC. ASC wanted to keep it at lease a week and I would have to come back later. Had to buy another motor to fish tournament. Returned new Ultrex to retailer. Ill wait for new Ghost to come out. Minn Kota has had enough time to produce a trolling that works longer than 5 minutes!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXsteve362 View Post
    Bought new Ultrex and went to lake 4 hours away for tournament Deployed motor and started having problems immediately. Minn Kota said ribbon cable bad and take it to ASC. ASC wanted to keep it at lease a week and I would have to come back later. Had to buy another motor to fish tournament. Returned new Ultrex to retailer. Ill wait for new Ghost to come out. Minn Kota has had enough time to produce a trolling that works longer than 5 minutes!!
    agreed
    Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI