Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinJax View Post
    why not? please elaborate
    ive got some and thought they were EWG style ?
    I lose fish on them . Very rarely lose one with a good ol round bend

2. Member
    Thanks for the information.

3. Member
    I fish football jigs almost exclusively, because I mainly fish deep rocky lakes. I drag the jig 90% of the time, like I'm fishing a carolina rig. Very rarely, do I "swing for the fences" on a hookset. Once I feel the bite, I reel up the slack, and sweep the rod just like I am draggin it along the bottom. They almost set the hook themselves, this way. I use an EWG 100% of the time, and remember to trim the weedgaurd down.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I fish football jigs almost exclusively, because I mainly fish deep rocky lakes. I drag the jig 90% of the time, like I'm fishing a carolina rig. Very rarely, do I "swing for the fences" on a hookset. Once I feel the bite, I reel up the slack, and sweep the rod just like I am draggin it along the bottom. They almost set the hook themselves, this way. I use an EWG 100% of the time, and remember to trim the weedgaurd down.
    Braid or fluoro?

I fish an 894 with a Chronarch. 30 lb braid to floro leader. 1/2 oz Dirty jig with the SK rage craw trailer. I rarely have a fish come un buttoned. I remove the weed guard and trim the skirt. You can also slightly bend the hook out to help get the hook buried. Remember to wind down and swing.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    For big smallmouth, we let them load up before you set the hook. You will want to snap them when you first feel it.....DON’t !! Let them load up and then swing your hook set.

Also, and very important, if you swing and miss, drop that jig back down. 9.8 times out of 10, a SM will come back and take it.

This is what I have found works the best for SM on Dale Hollow, Norris and the Tennessee River.

I use 15lb fluoro about 100% of the time . I don’t fish braid anywhere near rocks/shell beads.
    Last edited by Big Orange Basser; 11-03-2019 at 10:24 AM.

7. Member
    Agree with bassakwards. I drag alot 1/4 to 3/4 with ewg and before I realized the "sweeping" hookset, had a number come unbuttoned no matter how hard I jacked them. Now if I'm flipping shallow water with one, I just set it hard with minimal slack. 15-20 lb flouro usually, have used lighter with smaller like 5/16. I like D&L, but have many different jig brands and all seem to work with above hooksets. Also agree with tip on smallmouth and dropping it back down, they will hit it alot like that after missing it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Braid or fluoro?
    Sunline Flouro.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12