howling noise at idle

04 225 optimax ser# 0T848170

noticed that the motor was making low or soft howling noise at idle this weekend. It would go away when put in gear and left at idle. It did not make the noise all the time. More often after fishing and letting the motor get up to temp before taking off. Air temps in high 40's and low 50's. Is this a problem or sign of a problem?
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

Air pressure leak somewhere?
    Thank You Leon Pugh

You problem reminded me of a Air problem that JOE posted about regard a internal air restriction causing noise such as you described, I forget the details, He should be along soon and maybe offer some insight to exactly what was causing it. I will send him a PM
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    LEON I think this was a 115 that has an air discharge muffler ,that DON found a bad reed plate in compressor , that I would inspect on this mtr also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

thanks for the ideas guys. I will take it in and have it checked out. Looks like my fishing is over for the season anyway. The weather is taking a turn for the worse.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't overlook the gearcase as another potential source of the problem. I would, however, remove the cowling and start with the two excellent diagnostic tools the Good Lord gave you (a careful visual inspection for anything loose inside the cowling, such as a yellow plastic cap, for instance).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Don,

Interesting enough I do have an oil leak coming from somewhere. I have not been able to pinpoint the location as of yet. What yellow cap are you referring to?

8. Member
    I think the yellow cap goes on top of the fly wheel when motor is new, they will get loose and get sucked into the intake.....If I remember correctly.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by transdep1 View Post
    I think the yellow cap goes on top of the fly wheel when motor is new, they will get loose and get sucked into the intake.....If I remember correctly.
    ^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Member
    ^^^^ YEP , needs to be in flywheel in salt water protects threads of crank and flywheel hub
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

where should I be looking for this yellow cap? I see none.flywheel.JPG

12. Member
    It's been removed already....it goes in center of flywheel to protect the threads and nut from rust.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... OR it's come out on it's own and is now at location "who knows" (usually either ends up shredded under the flywheel, or inside the intake- wedged in a reed block).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor