Thread: 03 Stratos 201

03 Stratos 201

I upgraded my electronics this past winter and now I have an issue with them turning off when I start the motor. I first figured it was the battery so I replaced it with the largest 31 series battery I could get at my local battery shop. didnt fix the problem so I figure it is probably the wiring. I am guessing an 03 wasnt designed for the current draw of the new electronics and causing a low voltage problem and they shut down. I have a 12" humminbird on the bow and 2-Lowrance HDS 8 at the console all connected to the original wiring that was there. They all run through the main power switch at the console along with everything else in the boat. I noticed Saturday when the livewells are running the problem is worse. The 12 at the bow and 1 of the 8's turned off each time I started the motor.
    So has anyone experienced this and how did you fix it? Is anyone running 3 or 4 units like I am on the original wiring and not having an issue in an older boat. I understand the newer boats have alot larger wiring to accomadate in the increased draw of the new electronics

2. Member
    run power wires straight to battery will cure it likely but will have to remember to turn them orgff at end of day
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    run power wires straight to battery will cure it likely but will have to remember to turn them orgff at end of day
    ^^^ ... but keep it clean.

I run a Carbon 12 and Live 9 at the bow. I wired them to a bus bar (+/-) at the bow, then ran 8g wire to a 30 amp breaker and common ground in the rear compartment. I have two Carbon 12's on the helm, which I spliced the + and - separately and ran the common 10g wires to the same 30 amp breaker (negatives to a common ground for all four sonars). Then ran positive 8g from the breaker to the 31 AGM.

My Talons are wired to a Blue Sea On/Off switch for the positive, and the neg to the common ground as well, then on to the battery.

I used terminal buses on the battery posts to keep it tidy.

The TM has its own 60 amp breaker as well, but is wired properly using the 36v system.

Every accessory circuit is independent of the house circuitry. The only power tied into the boat panel on a spare accessory switch is NMEA power, which I am about to set up independently as well.
    Last edited by CDN Bass; 10-07-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel