Removing Contact Cement

I am re-carpeting a boat and I had not problem getting the adhesive up that was left behind from the carpet, but the aluminum lids were lined with foam and I am planning to paint them, rather than replace the foam. Acetone is working, but not on the first try in getting it soft enough to scrape off the aluminum. Is there another solvent out there that works better than acetone for this?

Thanks in advance
    2015 Phoenix 819

2. Member
    Wire brush on drill

3. Member
    Be very careful with the acetone, the vapors stay low and hug the bottom in your boat. Remove the drain plug to let the vapors escape through there and do not use any tool that can spark and ignite the vapors. We had a young man and his father redoing their carpet and used an electric drill to loosen a screw and Boom. The father was thrown out of the boat and his teenage son was very badly burned.Just be careful.
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Opti max
    25 Tempest A45

4. Member
    I've done a lot of plastic laminate with contact cement. Acetone barely loosens cured adhesive. lacquer thinner or the Formica brand cleaner works better, but it's still slow going. Lacquer thinner will melt almost everything else it in your boat that it comes in contact with, and you can double Champ196's flammability warning.

If the contact cement is clean of carpet and black backing you can just put more contact cement on the new carpet and over the old contact cement. It will regenerate the old contact cement.

6. Member
    Goo Off Professional worked well for me. Put it on let it sit for a minute and scrape off with a putty knife. I had to do it twice on a couple of the spots with a lot of contact cement.

Kirk

7. Member
    Goof off works. I’m using the big gallon cans from Lowe’s to remove 30 year old carpet and glue from my fiberglass casting decks and metal live well lids.

i started with acetone but wasn’t working on some problem areas and read on another boat forum to use the goof off. It works...just wipe on and let soak a few minutes then scrape off or some cases just wipe up the carpet glue etc...

$21 for a gallon can at Lowe’s.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    If the contact cement is clean of carpet and black backing you can just put more contact cement on the new carpet and over the old contact cement. It will regenerate the old contact cement.

This.

Thats the beauty of contact cement......no need to clean it off

9. Member
    I have done many boats and use a die grinder with a scotchbrite pad. I vacuum everything up and wipe everything down with something alcohol based so it evaporates.

10. Member
    This is the best stuff I have found for removing stubborn adhesives. Contact cement will scrape off with non-maring plastic razor blade scrapers. I takes a little while to soften glue, keep wet until ready to scrape.

Auto Tech Adhesive Remover.jpg

11. Member
    I just did 2 of my aluminum hatches, I used a Palm sander and was able to get 90 percent of the glue off.

The palm sander also scuffed up the aluminum covers so it was ready for the contact cement.

I think it worked good, no chemicals!

12. Member
    Goo Gone need to use right away don't let it cement dry.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSU Fishing View Post
    I am re-carpeting a boat and I had not problem getting the adhesive up that was left behind from the carpet, but the aluminum lids were lined with foam and I am planning to paint them, rather than replace the foam. Acetone is working, but not on the first try in getting it soft enough to scrape off the aluminum. Is there another solvent out there that works better than acetone for this?

Thanks in advance
    multi porpose aka oscillating tool with the wood blade and/or scraper blade will make short work and no chemicals just shop vac it

14. Member
    Just got done doing my boat along with full restoration and we were using a heat gun on the hatches , the carpet would melt and then harden and take both the glue and itself and fall off. The foam insides were scrapped first and heated with the gun, let cool and then hit with 40grit sandpaper on a grinder

15. Member
    I have done many boats and use a die grinder. There are many different types of pads to use and it is very effective. Just did a stratos 200xl.

16. Member
    If chemicals fail. Try eraser wheel.