Mounting an Ultrex on a Tin

I broke down and ordered an Ultrex and I have been doing prep work on the boat and reading installation instructions online. I do have a question when it comes to the mounting process. Other boats that I have owned, including the motor I removed from this one, have had either isolator type bolts or at least rubber washers between the base of the motor and the mounting surface. The Ultrex mounting instructions do not show any provisions for doing so. I was wondering what others here have done when installing a new trolling motor on an aluminum boat. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175
    Mercury 75 HP four stroke

The new motor will come with the mounting hardware. Unless needed to clear the edge of the rail, as a spacer, I would not use them. More solid assembly.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Member
    The Ultrex is heavy! I through bolted mine using brass nylock nuts and fender washers.

4. Member
    I would replace the stainless nuts with brass nuts and also use fender washers like n2ratfishin suggested. Stainless have a tendency to seize sometimes and when they do you have to cut them off. I also placed a rubber mat between the base and the bow mating surface just to protect the paint.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

I used the Motor Guide isolators and cut the threaded insert off. Needed those since the holes were that size due to having a Motor Guide mounted from the factory. I used fender washers and nylock nuts.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Thanks to all that have replied.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175

7. Member
    My G3 TM mounting surface was not perfectly level. I just went to lowes and got the largest rubber washer to make up the difference so my Ultrex was a level as possible. If it not level and you try and deploy it it will have a hard time locking in place when you go to deploy it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G3Ray View Post
    My G3 TM mounting surface was not perfectly level. I just went to lowes and got the largest rubber washer to make up the difference so my Ultrex was a level as possible. If it not level and you try and deploy it it will have a hard time locking in place when you go to deploy it.
    I discovered that same issue and coincidentally used the same exact solution thanks for the input.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    The Ultrex is heavy! I through bolted mine using brass nylock nuts and fender washers.
    +1