My first SHO. Tips please

Guys,
    Picked up a really nice 2017 Phoenix 919 with a 225 SHO on her. Warranty until 2022 but I really wanna treat my motor right so thought I’d ask you guys for any tips on running a SHO and 4 stroke in general.

Fuel additives? Certain services at certain hours? Etc etc. thx in advance
    Danny

2. Member
    Break it in properly, change the fluids/filters accordingly, use ring free in every tank. Run it hard to seat the rings.

1oz of ring free with every 10 gallons of gas.

4. Member
    Bring it up to operating temp before running it hard. With that being said run it hard the last time out before loading it up on the trailer. Think of it this way. Start your vehicle, don't fully warm it up. Run it wide open to the end of your driveway and back, then shut it off for a week. Basically the life of most bass boat engines. In the cold climates then some sit with crappy fuel and or ethanol in them for months with fuel that just makes the octane requirements when it is fresh let alone 6+ months old. So another recommendation is to run non ethanol premium fuel. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

5. Member
    Ring free and make sure and keep an eye on the oil level honestly that’s the biggest killer on these motors.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

6. bullyfish
    Ring free is for two-stroke motors if you wanna go ahead and waste your money go ahead and use it.I have never ever used it. It doesn’t say no where in the manual you should use ring free. These boat dealerships tell these people this so we can make an extra buck. IT IS FOR TWO-STROKE MOTORS

7. Member
    Page 17 of the older owners manual (mine is 2010);Page 19 on the newer manuals. under fuel additives. Recommended use of ring free and fuel stabilizer. I use it on every tank. Runs like a top!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLYFISH View Post
    Ring free is for two-stroke motors if you wanna go ahead and waste your money go ahead and use it.I have never ever used it. It doesn’t say no where in the manual you should use ring free. These boat dealerships tell these people this so we can make an extra buck. IT IS FOR TWO-STROKE MOTORS
    Nor sure where you get this but it’s absolutely recommended

9. Member
    I'm guessing it's a used boat being a 2017. If you didn't get a service history printout when you bought it go to the dealer and get it. If there's no history because the previous owner serviced it himself I'd go ahead and get the 100hr kit from simyamaha and change the oil and lu lube. That way you know it's clean.

Then keep an eye on the oil level to make sure the rings are seated. If you run it around a few times and the level goes up and smells a little bit like gas, don't get worried, just take it out on a calm preferably warm day, trim it up and put the pedal down for 15-20 min. Shut down and fish for about an hour, fire it up and run her hard again, repeat. Getting it nice and hot and letting it cool a few times should seat the rings and you'll be good.

Other than that, like CJ1 said let it warm up before you hammer down. I let mine warm up to 120 before I take off every time. On the first run of the day I keep it under 4k till it hits 130. After that I creep the rpms on up until wot.
    Beyond that keep quality gas in it and the oil changed on time is about it.
    Also you miiiight want to throw a little extra torque on your prop nut. I believe there was a thread about the factory recommended torque being upped in a service bulletin and the general consensus was most people torque higher than the book stated anyway. If its too loose it can trash the thrust washer and the prop will eat your lu housing.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLYFISH View Post
    Don’t know where you get your info from.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO