Thread: St. Clair

St. Clair

Im coming up Thursday for the first time. I plan on fishing Anchor Bay and around the mile roads.

Friday the winds are supposed to get up to 25 MPH gust. That concerns me. Should I plan on fishing the Detroit River or with it being a south wind, would it be possible to fish the Belle River Hump area and be ok as far as waves. Or would you think that the waves wont be that bad. The forecast is giving 2 feet or less. I think that will change.

Im fishing a 20 ft Triton.

Any advice or help will be greatly aprriciated!!!

Thanks

Waves will be big.. Direction of wind matters, But I never go when 25 mph wind is predicted. I'd find the calmest area and launch near by if you must go.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

The forecast this far ahead can be and often is "So Far Off. You will want to decide the day before or even that morning on where to fish. A south wind on the Detroit River is the worst . The south wind pushes north against the current, which flows south, and has a bath tub effect that makes for rough water. I would stick to the protected shorelines and even not go if it is a steady 15 MPH or more. Keep in mind also, just because it's blowing in the morning doesn't mean it will blow in the afternoon and vise versa.
    Last edited by LennyB; 10-07-2019 at 02:23 PM.

4. Member
    As stated above, anything over 15mph gets nasty out there. When NOAA says 2ft or less, that basically means 3-4footers on LSC. The real question is how far are you running. If it was blowing that bad, I would probably fish the St. Clair River Channels if you absolutely needed to get out. This time of year, heavy wind is nothing to mess with given the air temps and dropping water temps.

5. Member
    If it is blowing that bad out of the south it will be fighting the current in both rivers causing big waves

6. Member
    Thanks guys!! I’m going to try St. Clair Thursday and fish Cass Friday. Will Cass be a better option?

How does Cass Fish and any Suggestions for that lake would be appreciated!

7. Member
    Cass doesn’t open their gates until 8am. Work the sand breaks with topwater, jerkbait, spybaits, and spinnerbaits. Should be some smallies around the edges.

8. Member
    Download the "Windy" app. You can set it to pull from 3 or 4 different models.

https://windy.app.link/M0I26HEGB0

You can get a days fishing in the channels at St. Clair Metro Park. Probably do better there than on Cass. You won't have a shot at any smallmouth, but will salvage the day.

10. Member
    Not sure where that 7+ large was caught in the Elite practice but we have a gem of a large mouth lake call Saint Clair. If not for the world class Smallie fishing, it would be known as a great largemouth lake. Bigmouth 101 has a better plan than Cass.

11. Member
    Thank you to everyone who’s helped me with this decision. I’ll post how it goes in metro Friday!!

12. dartag1829
    Would not recommend Cass. Union Lake has both largemouth and Smallmouth or Lake Orion largemouth only are good lakes. The St Clair river channels can be tough if you have never fished them. Be careful St Clair can be nasty. Good luck.

13. Member
    I survived the trip! St. Clair won, we fished the mile roads, in front of the 400 club, and the long point in front that of metro park. Had a few bites and that was it. The next day, fished the canals and raised a few musky. Cot one and a little large mouth. I had a great trip and I wanna thank all you St. Clair guys for the help!!

Thanks for the report. That's a good honest report. You know when you go fishing a place for the first time it's a learning experience and it makes the next time that much more productive. Think about all the knowledge you guys gained about the lake in just that short amount of time. Now you can visualize things in your head when you read reports and see things. It will make the next trip so much better!