Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Whatever gets the job done!
    I would have installed a heavy duty rated marine switch. I am also nervous it would inadvertantly come off and short, however unlikely.
    But you work with what you got, I suppose.
    You can't see it in the pictures but the red clamp surrounds the plastic nut of the battery hold down - It ain't coming off. But even if it did. With the exception of the negative terminal battery post there is absolutely nothing that clamp can contact to create a dead/direct short. The chances of it coming off and bouncing forward making contact with the negative post of the battery almost don't exist. The chances of it coming of that plastic knob, bouncing forward, making contact with the negative post then maintaining that contact are near zero. Anyhow... I'm very comfortable with this solution. 10 years of running in some of the worst conditions imaginable that clamp hasn't moved. But if anyone has a concern by all means avoid this solution.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    You can't see it in the pictures but the red clamp surrounds the plastic nut of the battery hold down - It ain't coming off. But even if it did. With the exception of the negative terminal battery post there is absolutely nothing that clamp can contact to create a dead/direct short. The chances of it coming off and bouncing forward making contact with the negative post of the battery almost don't exist. The chances of it coming of that plastic knob, bouncing forward, making contact with the negative post then maintaining that contact are near zero. Anyhow... I'm very comfortable with this solution. 10 years of running in some of the worst conditions imaginable that clamp hasn't moved. But if anyone has a concern by all means avoid this solution.
    A switch is less likely to arc, and a few other advantages to a switch.

However... the only reason I really commented. Is because I have followed your past posts. And your wiring (although IMO excessive) attention to detail and how nice and clean and even labeled it was. This clamp idea kind of let me down!!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    A switch is less likely to arc, and a few other advantages to a switch.

However... the only reason I really commented. Is because I have followed your past posts. And your wiring (although IMO excessive) attention to detail and how nice and clean and even labeled it was. This clamp idea kind of let me down!!!
    Awww... why’d ya’ have to go n’ say that. Now I’m going to have to install a solar powered auto sensing voltage monitoring switching panel with LED display.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Awww... why’d ya’ have to go n’ say that. Now I’m going to have to install a solar powered auto sensing voltage monitoring switching panel with LED display.

5. Member
    When you flip the pedal over, you'll see where the ground connects to the junction before it goes to the sheath/top. A short wire from here to a screw clamp on the footpedal will ground the outside case of the lower unit -- shunting the ground.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    When you flip the pedal over, you'll see where the ground connects to the junction before it goes to the sheath/top. A short wire from here to a screw clamp on the footpedal will ground the outside case of the lower unit -- shunting the ground.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12