HDS Gen 3 with Active Imaging 3 in 1

I just bought an HDS7 Gen 3 and am installing it. I believe it came with the Active Imaging 3-1 transducer, as when I looked up pictures of different transducers mine looks just like it (quite large, extends about an inch past the metal bracket, and is about an inch and 3/4 deep). I am trying to select the correct transducer in the menu, but don't see an Active Imaging unit. I've read that when the Active Imaging came out, it would not work with the HDS Gen 3. My unit has the latest 18.2 version software update, and the transducer plugged right into the structure scan port on the HDS unit. What transducer do I actually have? Which transducer should I select in settings for optimum performance? Will this transducer even work with this unit?

1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

2. Member
    Look at the tag at the plug and it has the part number.

Thanks, the tag says "AI2 3-in-1". So, will this transducer work when I take it out on the water?

4. Member
    I don't believe the 3 and 1 is compatible with a Gen 3

5. Member
    3 in 1 will not work with a Gen 3. It should not have been sold with the unit if that’s what you really have. You sure it’s not a TotalScan? That is also an “all in one” transducer but is the generation before the current Active Imaging transducers.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    3 in 1 will not work with a Gen 3. It should not have been sold with the unit if that’s what you really have. You sure it’s not a TotalScan? That is also an “all in one” transducer but is the generation before the current Active Imaging transducers.

NoCAL
    Well, crap. The tag on the transducer that came with the unit says AI2 3-in-1. I'm pretty sure this is the Active Imaging 3-in-1 transducer (as you can see from the photos above, it's not the total scan).

7. Member
    Sorry, but you need another unit, or another transducer.

So, I've contacted the seller, and he said he would trade the Active Imaging 3-in-1 for an HDI skimmer. I bought this unit specifically so I could have structurescan sonar at my helm and know the HDI skimmer transducer won't do that. What transducer do I need to have the best possible side scan image with this HDS Gen 3 unit?

9. Member
    The "Best"? You need StructureScan 3D which is a module and transducer combo. The "Good"? Find an LSS-2 and a decent 2D transducer. The "Okay"? Totalscan.

NoCAL
    2B112175

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    So, I've contacted the seller, and he said he would trade the Active Imaging 3-in-1 for an HDI skimmer. I bought this unit specifically so I could have structurescan sonar at my helm and know the HDI skimmer transducer won't do that. What transducer do I need to have the best possible side scan image with this HDS Gen 3 unit?
    SS3D module + transducer

A member here is trading me a compatible HDS Gen 3 transducer for the active imaging transducer. All is well thanks to BBC. Thank you all for your help and input.

12. Member
    I used my Active Imaging 3-1 transducer from my HDS Live and strapped it to my trolling motor. I plugged it into my HDS Gen 3. All the features of side scan and down scan worked perfectly.

13. Member
    You have made a discovery that even Lowrance doesn't know. Here are the product specs for the AI 3 in 1. Nowhere does it say compatible with Gen 3 HDS units. It for sure wouldn't do 2D sonar connected to the Structure port of a Gen 3.

Key Features

More refined detail and better range than any other imaging technology
    Active Imaging 3-in-1 transducer with Lowrance CHIRP, SideScan and DownScan
    Easier target identification with FishReveal™ Smart Target View
    Supports Medium and High CHIRP (83/200kHz) + 455/800kHz frequencies
    Compatible with Lowrance HDS LIVE, HDS Carbon, Elite Ti2 displays
    2B112175

You have made a discovery that even Lowrance doesn't know. Here are the product specs for the AI 3 in 1. Nowhere does it say compatible with Gen 3 HDS units. It for sure wouldn't do 2D sonar connected to the Structure port of a Gen 3.
    [/B]
    I recently added a Live unit to my two HDS Gen 3 units. All connected on network and ethernet. First I attached the 3-1 to the Gen 3 at the console. That did not work. After calling tech support, I was instructed to attach the 3-1 to the Live unit. Now the Live unit works as designed, the two Gen 3 units get 2d, side and down scan from the 3-1. The side and down scan on the Gen 3 units is the same as if using the Gen 3 transducer.

P01135809

15. Member
    Yes, over Ethernet AI 3 in 1 signals will display just fine. The poster above me stated he connected the AI directly to a Gen 3 and that shouldn't work.

NoCAL
    2B112175

16. Banned
    I see that "Rippin Lips Midwest" posted at 4:45. I think it is likely the transducer was tested at 4:20. This can make sense of a lot of unexplained phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    I recently added a Live unit to my two HDS Gen 3 units. All connected on network and ethernet. First I attached the 3-1 to the Gen 3 at the console. That did not work. After calling tech support, I was instructed to attach the 3-1 to the Live unit. Now the Live unit works as designed, the two Gen 3 units get 2d, side and down scan from the 3-1. The side and down scan on the Gen 3 units is the same as if using the Gen 3 transducer.

Yes, over Ethernet AI 3 in 1 signals will display just fine. The poster above me stated he connected the AI directly to a Gen 3 and that shouldn't work.

NoCAL
    Older thread, but if I am reading this correctly...

With two units on bow, one Carbon 12 and one Gen 3 12 (to be added, replacing a Carbon 9). Carbon 12 is running Active Target only (via ethernet) at this time, and the other ethernet port would be connected to the Gen 3. In this scenario, I could connect the 3n1 to the Carbon, and see 2D/SS/DS on the Carbon, and also 2D on the Gen 3?

Reason I ask, is I am considering added a Gen3 12 for basically mapping/2d use on as mentioned in other thread - but was thinking I would have to remove the 3n1 and go back to the Fortrex US2 transducer to see it on the Gen3. But sounds like if I connect like above I can keep the 3n1 and have 2D/DS/SS if/when needed viewable from the Carbon while still having 2D available to Gen3?

18. Member
    Yes, you can send the AI images over Ethernet from a Carbon to a Gen 3.

NoCAL
    2B112175