Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Power Pole Charge

Haven’t heard anything about this in a while. Wondering if they’ve abandoned the idea? Obviously they got the cart well ahead of the horse with their announcement, at the least.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I Just posted on another thread, that i was in talks with JL Marine about it and they are in final testing and things are looking good for a end of the year release. It wasnt a cart before the horse thin. With battery technology changing rapidly they want to make sure they are releasing a product that is compatible with all the new lithium technology, as well as all the existing types. I would much rather have them check and recheck and make sure everything is correct then buy a product that hasnt been tested for example on a particular set of 4k Lithiums a customer may be running. Power Pole is not one of those companies that uses customers as test mules for there product. When they finally release a product its pretty dam solid.

3. Member
    Thanks. Looking forward to the release.

4. Member
    I agree with the above statement. I too am patiently waiting.

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    We will post on here the min we have availability as we have a list already waiting.

6. Member
    Do yall think these will be worth the money? I have a on board charger that is out and can't decide if I want to try and wait on this or just get a new on board. Just can't decide if they are going to be worth double or not.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    The charge is a totally battery management system. Not to be confused with an onboard charger. Very different, hence the cost difference. A typical charger is ac to dc only.
    The charge is ac to dc , dc to dc and dc to dc bidirectional putting power where you need it. At any time you can pull up the app on your phone and see state of charge on your batteries and where power is coming from and how its being distributed from the system. Total battery control!
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 10-22-2019 at 11:18 PM.

8. mikesxpress
    It will be interesting to see how this management system actually functions. Quite a few past attempts at utilization of the engine alternator to distribute power to the TM batteries after fully charging the cranking battery had minimal sucess (Stay N Charge, etc..). As most bass fisherman actually fish way more than they run, the ability to get the starting battery fully charged before allocating power to the TM batteries was never occurring. With today's power hungry electronics drawing even more amps than in years past, it's going to be difficult to get the cranking battery topped off on a run and move charging to the TM banks.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 10-25-2019 at 08:17 AM.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this management system actually functions. Quite a few past attempts at utilization of the engine alternator to distribute power to the TM batteries after fully charging the cranking battery had minimal sucess (Stay N Charge, etc..). As most bass fisherman actually fish way more than they run, the ability to get the starting battery fully charged before allocating power to the TM batteries was never occurring. With today's power hungry electronics drawing even more amps than in years past, it's going to be difficult if not impossible to get the cranking battery topped off on a run and move charging to the TM banks. But at least you'll be able to see it's not doing it on your phone now!
    Hence the delay in release until it was perfected. Are you an electrical engineer as well as mechanical Mike?

10. mikesxpress
    Kevin the short answer is yes. An additional engineering degree in a related field is the "short path" to fulfilling the requirements for a doctorate (for an ME) and translates into broader electromechanical thesis base as mine was robotics.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 10-25-2019 at 05:15 AM.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Kevin the short answer is yes. An additional engineering degree in a related field is the "short path" to fulfilling the requirements for a doctorate (for an ME) and translates into broader electromechanical thesis base as mine was robotics.
    impressive to say the least. So IF the CHARGE doesnt perform as advertised , JL Marine can hire you as a consultant to explain why its not working and how to fix it. On the other hand when it performs as advertised you can be the first to go on here and say the got it right and obviously know what there doing, and have some very well educated people such as yourself in R and D. I think thats fair Mike?

12. mikesxpress
    Kevin I only have the basic information stated in the 2018 sales promo video you provided. Nothing else.

Besides it being a battery charger using 120Vac it is also a "jump switch" using your trolling motor batteries to supplement the cranking battery. Do you have any more detailed information on what else it's to accomplish? I always skip past sales talk to specifications.

Not for hire sign has been lit for over 5 years now. Sorry.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    https://www.power-pole.com/charge. There is a pretty detailed write up and video explaining how it works in the link above.

14. mikesxpress
    The link provides basic operating information. After release they should provide detailed specifications on the charge on the run management portion and at what point the system starts diverting the alternator provided power to the TM batteries. That's the part I'm interested in.

15. mikesxpress
    I addressed the onboard charger issue in my rig back in 2016 by removing it. Saved me 33 lbs. I'm meticulous about my batteries and load test them multiple times a year to head off on-the-water issues. I'm not a fan of the jump switches that are currently being used. While anything can happen, proper battery management has kept me from having any problems. In 40 years, my jumper cables have only been used on other folks rigs.

Upgraded my charger to a PS4 DeltaVolt this spring and had to do some reinforcing on the plastic panel over the bilge where it mounts. I added a 3/16" aluminum plate with 1/4-20 SS rivnuts to hold this 33 lb beast and after a few months I started asking myself why am I carrying this thing around with me up/down the HWY and then hauling it around while I'm fishing? Didn't make sense to do that if I'm not using it. Like most folks, except the traveling tournament fisherman, I use the rig and tow it home and charge it there. These pigs are heavy enough without hauling extra weight around.

I yanked it out and mounted it on the wall with a removable bracket/20' long service cable so when I do travel I can take it along. After clearing my materials selection with the guys at Charging Systems this is the end result. Less weight in the boat. More room in the service well and less cluttered. Less abuse to the charger. No voltage drop in the 20' cable or waterproof plug.

Pictures explain the rest.

]

My transport box for road trips.

Thanks Mikexpress. I order the 9 pin connector set. I have two battery chargers I want to get out of the back of my RT 198P. After adding a third trolling motor battery and an additional charger for the cranking battery, my boat is a "Squatter". Additionally, having two Talons and a jackplate, the more weight I can remove the better.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

17. Member
    I did this same thing when I saw this posting some years ago. It works great and allowed me to mount my power pole pumps with room to spare. Great idea.
    On a side note. I would say the plug is far from waterproof though.

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Lets keep this post on the rails and back on the CHARGE topic.

19. Member
    How many post threads do you want going at a time bro?

20. mikesxpress
    This isn't Assbook. No one is here is your bro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast