Lowrance LiveSight - effective range in front mode.

Q for users. What is effective range- (front mode) to see fish in watercolumn, fish size 3ft or less. Anybody can help?
    On YT there's no good videos -most of them shows bottom, structure, but no fish more than 30ft range settings.
    Is that all what Livesight can do?

2. Member
    I've yet to see a fish on mine, or at least I think I've yet to see one. My lure is only visable from about 15' and closer. I'm not blown away with what I bought....

3. Member
    Thank You for answer.

4. Member
    I have mine set to 60’ forward but I don’t see fish more than 30-40’ away. You do see structure out pretty far.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

5. Banned
    Did you upgrade transducer?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyed View Post
    I've yet to see a fish on mine, or at least I think I've yet to see one. My lure is only visable from about 15' and closer. I'm not blown away with what I bought....
    I am using carbon with PSI module and same issue. usually 10-12' is best I can get. Spoke with Lowrance, they requested me send video in, I have but I have not heard anything back from them.....

7. Member
    I leave mine on 40'
    Chad Snow / Massachusetts
    2007 Ranger Reata 210 - Mercury Optimax 225 (#1B446134) - 12' Talons
    Carbon12’s @ Bow w/ AT- live 12 w/ 3D & live 7 @ Helm

8. Member
    Seems to work better in Manual Mode.

9. Member
    Use Manual mode.
    At the best I saw fish around 60 feet out, but with the current software I only see fish around 30 feet out.

10. Member
    Here we talking about fish.
    Garmin's live systems shows bait on this range even more.
    It looks like spotlight-case…
    Latest software update- more issues than improvments. What is going on ??!New programist?New software? Not enough testers?

Before I asked in this topic I thougt that Livesight isn't so bad as peoples shows on YT or pics. My bad. It is.
    As add- no image stabilisation, every boat movment =bottom on Livesight trying to hit the sky.
    Not for me definetley- especially in front mode. Peoples from Navico stuff sholuld read this topic.
    Thanks. guys.
    Last edited by MaciejK; 10-09-2019 at 06:04 AM.

11. Member
    Wow, that's pretty short on the range, I've got the older Garmin panoptics with the ps22 transducer, I've watched my buddies ice fishing crappies 60' away with just a minnow and a split shot.

12. Member
    I did the latest livesight update it helped some but still only getting decent forward readings 15 maybe 20ft and that’s pushing it. 93%sensitivity

13. Banned
    There is also an update for the actual transducer

14. Member
    I am still learning to use LiveSight, but I have a couple of suggestions for those having range problems. First of all, I am seeing my lure and fish at least forty feet out, and structure further, and I am still learning how to effectively use this technology.

A friend of mine (Larry) was having a range problem with his, and we found his problem was how the transducer was pointed. His problem was not the transducer, but rather his trolling motor angle. He runs a 2007 Triton and we found out his trolling motor shaft is not perpendicular to the bottom, especially when he is standing in the front of his boat. His tucks negative 7 degrees when he is standing in the front of his boat on the water. In effect the focal point of his beam is pointing down to the bottom and hitting bottom in 20 feet of water. This is why Larry wasn't getting good range in front of his boat.

Probably the easiest way to figure this out is to put in manual mode and turn up the sensitivity to 98% and you will probably be able to see the beam direction by the static on your screen (I can on mine). Although the beam is pretty wide, the focal point in the center seems to be where you get good range, so you want that beam focal point shooting forward for maximum range. He shimmed his transducer mount to compensate for his boats' trolling motor angle which effectively pointed his transducer 7 degrees higher in the water column, and his problem was solved. Now he is seeing fish in front of his boat like I am.

I also have found that people are not understanding the update for their transducer. I ask if they did all their updates, and always hear yes. Then I check and find out they updated their HDS LIVE or Carbon, but NOT the transducer itself. The transducer update seems to improve the range and redraw speed.

Your results may vary, but attention to detail goes a long way. But then again, SpotLightScan worked for me also once I learned how to solve the problems most experience with it. Hope this helps.
    ciao,
    Marc

Funny thing is I have mine mounted on my TM and use it to locate structure and bait. Been using it steady for the last 10 days and couldn't get it to come on one day. I was like a lost kid. Couldn't believe it. I had to restart my unit to get it to go.
    As primitive as it is, I need it. Crazy stuff.

See Livesight review thread