Front graph shuts down

New Bassport helix 12 on bow shuts down or shows low voltage with engine start.
    Not the battery (31 AGM Northstar)
    I have redone all my connections with no luck. I had to run a heavier gauge on my last boat.
    Anyone else have this problem or just me?

2. Member
    Mine does the same thing. Not every time but part of the time. I’ve been meaning to rewire all my electronics but just haven’t had time to do it. On most of my other boats I installed another fuse panel and wired it straight off the battery just for the electronics. I’ve never had an issue doing it this way.

3. Member
    Direct wire form the battery is the way to go for sure. I had this issue in the past when my Electronics went through my master power switch. Different boat but the issue can be resolved by direct wiring.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

4. Member
    What shap said, my first Stroker did it with only a HDS5. I ran a pair of dedicated #12 stranded wire to the front and solved the problem. On this Stroker I had it wired and installed that way, no problems. You just need to remember to turn the front graph off when getting off the water.

I'm going to try running it off the solid orange wire that goes to the cigarette lighter receptacle on the bow panel and see if that works first. It's a larger gauge

6. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Mike......the new electronics today along with all the other electrical devices we install like radios and antenna etc. pull lots of power. You may have a 31 group AGM but that doesn't matter. What matters is running all the stuff thru the boat harness.

Some boat builders now are recognizing that and installing dedicated wiring harness with breaker panel just for accessory devices..like BCB for one.

I know it sucks but if you want full power to everything you install on your boat get with someone that knows wiring etc, or search on here for info and install your own harness and panel with shielded wire and a manual ON/OFF 40 amp breaker back by the battery.

I for one did and I know a few others here did as well.

Just for shits and giggles....take a volt reading at your main battery then take a volt reading at your bow power wire (the two larger holes) for the graph. Then turn everything on like you would be on the water (or you could do this on the water) and go to start your outboard with someone holding the meter probes in the power cord holes for that bow graph and see what volt reading you get.

That will give you your next course of action.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

7. Member
    Shoot Joe Lee a pm, he was having voltage problems with his birds and I think he has them solved now.

8. Member
    I got lucky... I still has 4 6awg wires going to the front.. jumped it at the battery and had the others wired direct for graph etc.
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

9. Member
    I was having this problem on my last two boats. I fixed them by installing a relay that is controlled by the dash switch that way I could easily turn of the power to the units. The relay carries the load not the switch. It requires you to run a wire or wires from the battery to the relay then on to the units. My current boat 2016 XB21 has not had this issue yet.

10. Member
    I had the same problem, even running 4awg straight to my Odyssey PCM2150 battery (group 31) I fixed it by getting a 50 amp Lithium separate for my electronics.

11. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Here's an interesting issue I had recently on my trip at the St Lawrence River. Like John I too installed a Lithium Pro 80ah cranking battery as a dedicated "house" battery just for my electronics panel that I installed myself in this boat. I'll note here that, yes, it is a cranking battery not a deep cycle so keep that in mind which is why I thought I had a bigger problem.

I've got 3 HDS graphs, point one, ultrex antenna, sonic hub, speaker, hydrowave, Sirius antenna.....We are fishing the River and my maps start spinning so I thought my point 1 antenna went out. I lived with it for a day and the next day thought of looking in the Settings under Network to see if it was listed which would indicate to me it is faulty and the Network list only had that HDS unit listed HUH?? I checked the other two and same thing only those.

So while we are on the water I crawl under the dash looking for the fuse for the network and it's fine. So I cut the wire tie under the dash holding my 5 network "T's" so I can look at them and My friends yells the map stopped spinning?? ( my house battery also went dead during the full day of the maps spinning so keep that in mind) Iwent back to the Network under Settings and all the elecrincs were listed.

I've been turning the BATT1, BATT2, BATT1+2, OFF switch on 1+2 to pull power from the cranking battery while running to charge the house battery. I tell my friend it's probably going dead cuz it's not a deep cycle and can't handle the draw. So the rest of the trip in NY I leave the gang of T's hanging so I can fiddle with it sitting in the drivers seat when the map spins and get it working.

I get home and replace T's cables etc. with new stuff because now we are going to SC for 3 weeks. Ya know...the moral of the story is....my house battery never ran down once in SC and stayed up at 13.x volts all day everyday. Soooo....if there is any kind of electrical issue gong on in your boat somewhere and the battery goes low or dead and the battery is determined to be 100% healthy it may very well be something going on pulling more volts than it is supposed to.

I didn't think that was possible?

Sorry fo the long story but I thought it may help someone some day
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

12. Member
    I first ran 12 gauge wire direct from crank battery (X2 31- same battery as Northstar). In all load calculators, the 12 gauge should be plenty for my Solix 10.

After fighting it for a year, I finally changed the 12 gauge out to 10 gauge direct from crank battery. In the few times I've used it since installing 10 gauge, it has not shut down. I have had one or two instances where the unit got buggy and a restart fixed it. Not perfect but far better than previous.

I have a 5amp inline fuse from crank battery to a terminal block (5-6" length) then direct to a terminal block at the units. I used terminal blocks because of connecting 10 gauge to the small power solix power wires.

I really like my birds but I will say they are too sensitive to voltage issues IMO.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)