Thread: Oil filter?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Oil filter?

Hello!! What do you guys think that the best oil filter for synthetic is? Thanks Hammy

2. Member
    What's it going on?

3. Member
    I'm sold on Wix (NAPA Gold) for my fleet. I order off filter1.com and a have them come to the door for free (and le$$).

4. Member
    Amsoil EA filters are hard to beat. Just YouTube them showing cutaway construction.

If not an Amsoil filter then my only other choice would be a WIX filter. (Wix makes all the NAPA filters)

5. Member
    I use Wix on all my vehicles along with Valvoline oil.

I will relay what a mechanic told me.

” After changing oil in my own vehicle I noticed on start up it seemed to “tick” longer than I thought it should ( even after putting oil in the filter. I switched to the factory filter and it stopped”

The last three vehicles we have bought the dealer said we could get free oil changes ( syn.oil ) @ 7500 miles for 3 years. I told him I use AMSOIL but thanks anyway. He said “ Great choice, but you should use the factory filter”

I have always used AMSOIL or WIX filters, I went back to factory filters on all vehicles.

7. Banned
    I buy frams when they are on sale for engines. Use A/C Delco for fuel and Allison for the little spin-on one for the tranny on my work truck.

Fram is probably the worst filter out there. I have been using Wix.

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’ve been using the Mobil 1 synthetic filter for 200k in my F150, as long as it isn’t FRAM you’re probably good!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Banned
    Wix

11. Member
    Royal purple, fram ultra, mobile 1. Something synthetic media is BEST but I'm not paying $15 for an oil filter. I usually use napa gold or fram extra guard. Just be sure it has an anti drainback valve
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

Why all the hate on a Fram filters? Is this legitimate thing or just a BBC group hate thing
    I’ve used them on my last 3 trucks and put on a ton of miles towing all kinds of stuff and have never once had an issue with the engines. What am I missing?
    Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Lund Pro V 1900, Optimax 200
    Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, Suzuki DF140
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova

Given that the manufacturers warranty their engines I would think the factory filters are as good as anything. They're not going to use crap filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Seguin Fisher View Post
    Why all the hate on a Fram filters? Is this legitimate thing or just a BBC group hate thing
    I’ve used them on my last 3 trucks and put on a ton of miles towing all kinds of stuff and have never once had an issue with the engines. What am I missing?
    Have asked the same question many times. No one ever can show the test that proved Fram to be bad filters. Much like the Duckett hole jumping, if you repeat it enough times, everyone will believe it to be true.

P01135809

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    Given that the manufacturers warranty their engines I would think the factory filters are as good as anything. They're not going to use crap filters.
    They also don't care if your engine lasts past the factory warranty either.

That being said most OEM filters are made by Wix and Champion to the OEM specifications. They're still mostly all paper cellulose filters. Except for Toyota, which as far as I know is the only OEM filter using a synthetic blend of cellulose and glass fiber. They're actually very good filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy19 View Post
    Hello!! What do you guys think that the best oil filter for synthetic is? Thanks Hammy
    Look up top rated oil filters. The Mobil 1 oil filters are at, or near the top on every list. Bosch is another good one. The M1 filters have twice the filtering capacity of most filters. $10.00 at WM. I’ve used them for years with Castrol Edge full syn oil. Never had a
    I’be used them for years even before they improved them.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

17. Banned
    Ask this question about an outboard oil filter and I bet the answers would be different. FWIW, I use the Wix in most. Used a M1 in the old Duramax.

BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

19. Member
    I use Toyota factory filters and full synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. Both my Yoters call for 10,000 mile oil changes. I figure it’s cheap insurance.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I will relay what a mechanic told me.

” After changing oil in my own vehicle I noticed on start up it seemed to “tick” longer than I thought it should ( even after putting oil in the filter. I switched to the factory filter and it stopped”

The last three vehicles we have bought the dealer said we could get free oil changes ( syn.oil ) @ 7500 miles for 3 years. I told him I use AMSOIL but thanks anyway. He said “ Great choice, but you should use the factory filter”

I have always used AMSOIL or WIX filters, I went back to factory filters on all vehicles.
    From what some GM tech's have told me some filter's have a silicone check valve inside, Prevents oil from draining from top of engine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast