Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It doesn't matter because the various lures will ultimately add twist over time so I periodically stretch it and respool it. Basically hook it to a tree and walk it all off, Stretch it with the rod, then snip the line at the tree and reel it back on. This fixes the most stubborn mono. I do not run straight fluoro, its just not practical and certainly not necessary. I second Sunline Sniper and P line tactical but have had good success with others.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

2. Member
    Line and Lure or KVD line conditioner. Like them better than Reel Magic. I spray on several times as I spool. Also spray on every other time out the night before.

Best mono I have ever used is Sunline Shooter Defier.

3. Member
    For the guys using line conditioners....what does it do to the line? How does it make the line lose memory? I’ve tried it, and all I can honestly tell that is does is add a slimy “silicony” feel to the line, until it rinses off with the first cast. Am I doing it wrong? I see zero benefits when I use it.

Want it a really good, low memory line? Follow the Tatsu suggestions. Don’t put sprays on it. Just spool it and go.

4. TJNYSNP
    I have finally given up on Flouro... seems like any backlash that is deep ends up pinching line and breaking it and have had too many 'boing!' cases where the flouro just decices to unspring around my spinning real when i take bail off.

Shooter Mono has very little stretch and using braid on everything with 20 foot mono leaders.

Straight mono topwater
    braid to mono for motion baits
    straight braid for power fishing motion lures and pitching
    braid/mono with 20' leader with uni/uni for dropshot, finesse and clear water motion baits

Just me.. not trying to rope anyone else out of Flouro... i gave up.... too many blown-out reels in tournaments with flouro... too many times throwing out and getting a mid line break with flouro

5. Banned
    LOOK! LOOK! LOOK!

Sunline™ on the cheap from a BBC™ sponsor:

https://www.outdoorproshop.com/Sunli...-supermono.htm

And a $30 Tumbler for $10

https://www.outdoorproshop.com/Monst...t-mmtmblrs.htm

6. Member
    Seaguar Tatsu if you want the best and Seaguar Invis X if you are are on a budget.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    For the guys using line conditioners....what does it do to the line? How does it make the line lose memory? I’ve tried it, and all I can honestly tell that is does is add a slimy “silicony” feel to the line, until it rinses off with the first cast. Am I doing it wrong? I see zero benefits when I use it.

Want it a really good, low memory line? Follow the Tatsu suggestions. Don’t put sprays on it. Just spool it and go.
    Fishing line, all fishing line, is not impervious to water. Which is why line with memory will usually lose that memory after fishing with it for a bit. It pulls in moisture and becomes more supple. Then when you're done fishing and the line sits on the spool it dries out, hardens and retains memory. Conditioner simply replaces that lost moisture before you start fishing.

Some conditioners are silicone based, others are water based. The slimy, oily ones are silicone based.

Conditioners also help prevent frozen line and eyelets when fishing in freezing conditions.

8. Member
    gamma the best but pricey new sufix seems to be impressive for the price point
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Member
    Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

10. Member
    As many have said, Tatsu is worth its price and then some. As far as why line conditioners don't work on every model of fluorocarbon line, and it doesn't, is because the higher quality fluorocarbon lines like Tatsu absorb little if any liquid. At that point the conditioners just become the slick greasy coating that quickly washes off, that was mentioned in a prior post.

When lines absorb water, their characteristics change. They usually become less abrasion resistant, and they'll stretch more. Tackle Tour did test on fluorocarbon lines and after soaking a spool of line in water for 3 hours, there were more than a couple of lines whose abrasion resistance and stretch factors did not change. I'd say that goes a long way to say that not all fishing lines absorb water.

Anyhow ........ Tatsu is the real deal

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    They all have memory. I like Pline but it still takes a few casts to get it running straight and memory free! Spool it tight and watch for nicks!
    I agree. I have moved to Pline fluro and seems to have less memory than most I have tried.
    2003 Triton TR186
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP
    Garmin Graphs and LS
    MK Ultrex 24v 80lb
    All Aboard Marine Transducer Pole
    Power Pole 8' Pro Series II Black
    2017 GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrain

12. Member
    my friend used to take one or two of his rods and take the lure off and run the boat in gear filp the bail and let all the line out then reel it back in he said it got all the line twist out of it,

Line & Lure!!
    Best there is!!!!
    God Bless
    Volman482vs
    1993 Ranger 482VS- '93 175 XRI, EFI 2.5

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger521znem View Post
    my friend used to take one or two of his rods and take the lure off and run the boat in gear filp the bail and let all the line out then reel it back in he said it got all the line twist out of it,
    I agree with your friend! Especially on spinning gear. Drag it behind the boat in OPEN WATER for a few hundred yards at idle, reel it back up tightly and you’re good to go. I do it on casting rigs when they line gets twisted from a lure twisting too much.

My normal routine though after a day of fishing is to hook my life to my mailbox and walk off 100 yards or so then reel with pressure back to the mailbox. It keeps my line tight and I rarely have backlash issues.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

If you use braid there is no memory. Tie on the leader of choice and line memory is a non issue.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Here's what I used to do and still do on occasion when I'm going to use a reel that has not been used lately. Remove the bait and tie on a large hook. Hook the hook into a post or tie off to something solid. Now, walk away letting line out for about 50-60 yrds or so. Now, tighten up the drag, lock the bail, and walk back another 10 yrds. HOLD tight "Stretching" the line. Walk back the 10 yrds, then do it again !! Now, walk up as you reel in. This will last at least the day and maybe even longer.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12