Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tuner problem??? 150 XR6

0T149393 150 XR6

I am pretty sure the tuner has come loose. Noticed my RPM's just a touch lower usually can do a pretty easy 5600rpm could only manage about 5450 or so. With this cold front should have been no problem.

So my question to the experts, do you think tuner also, if so i realize the power head will need to come off.

Do i just need the base gasket, tuner gasket and some red locktight?? any thing else i should do or tips?

Here is a vid of the sound.

2. Member
    IIRC, two gaskets above and below exhaust plate. Tuner gasket. That being said, it is pretty rare for this to happen.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Member
    yea id say its come off too
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Thanks joe and old timer

I am having a heck of a time finding the tuner gasket.

I have looked all over European marine site Don's site.

So far I have 183076, 991764 gaskets for the exhaust plate. But no tuner gasket.

Also since I have to pull lower anyway, I am going to replace the water pump. It is almost time to do it anyway.
    96148A8 is this right water pump kit number??

Sorry fellas. just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I order the parts.

5. Member
    it don't have one
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    it don't have one
    Well that explains it..lol thanks Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Well that explains it..lol thanks Joe!
    I had the exhaust tuner come loose twice on my 2008 150EFI. Got a gasket from European Marine even though it did not have one and I believe Don said the racing motors had one which he sent and used thread sealer and its been perfect ever since the last 5 yrs.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakey Head1 View Post
    I had the exhaust tuner come loose twice on my 2008 150EFI. Got a gasket from European Marine even though it did not have one and I believe Don said the racing motors had one which he sent and used thread sealer and its been perfect ever since the last 5 yrs.
    Thanks, I may have to call Don anyway, for some reason cannot log back in to his site, says my email is not valid. Any way............

Basically same 2.5L engine I have besides being EFI I believe.

So is it simply pulling the head off and then the adapter plate. And exhaust tuner is under there. Do I have to remove exhaust tube or anything.
    Just trying to picture how this will go, not really concerned about powerhead removal, that should be straight forward. Any tips, or gotcha's??

I ordered a spare just i ncase and this is the one Don sent me.

Attachment 379176

Attachment 379177

I just dropped the lower unit, cowling and drive shaft housing. It bolted from underneath. Easy to do if same motor.

11. Member
    I just dropped the lowere unit and outer case as well as the cowling. It bolted from underneath. Easy to do if same motor.
    Yes, should be same, pretty sure yours is 2.5L also.

Awesome, so don't need to pull power head??????

I am trying to picture how it goes, how did you get past the inner exhaust tube??
    Also did you need new bolts??

I have the parts list and mercury diagram, once you remove the lower cowling and the driveshaft housing you can bolt the tuner back in, or mine was the studs which were fine just needed nuts and washers.

Attachment 379178

Attachment 379179

13. Member
    I have the parts list and mercury diagram, once you remove the lower cowling and the driveshaft housing you can bolt the tuner back in, or mine was the studs which were fine just needed nuts and washers.
    AHHHHHHH, OK. You removed item#1. Thanks

I am trying to picture in my head, how the engine is suported with this removed?
    Last edited by moetorola; 10-07-2019 at 05:23 PM.

14. Member
    782461 tuner gasket

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    782461 tuner gasket
    Thanks Joe!

16. Member
    Maybe the experts can chime in but I think Don recommends ditching the nylon lock nuts in favor of lock washers and nuts (maybe with loctite).
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Maybe the experts can chime in but I think Don recommends ditching the nylon lock nuts in favor of lock washers and nuts (maybe with loctite).
    I think I read in another post from a couple years ago mentioning of Red Loctite.

Flange lock nuts with locktite. no nylocks or lock washers as lock washer will lose there locking ability after being subject to that much heat for a while and then there is far less contact area to hold them In place. flange lock have an amazing grip
    Thank You Leon Pugh

19. Member
    sho MOE

20. Member
    Its a common problem with the 2.5 motors between 2002 and 2018 due to mercury using the nyloc nuts.

Mercury had a bulletin out with the replacement parts being stainless bolts to replace the studs and nyloc nuts.

Did mine around 4 years ago and still holding in there. (and yes...use the red loctite)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast