Pro XS starting issues

1. 2B013378
    2. 2013/Mercury/Pro XS

At the end on the rope of this one. The motor with turn over all day long. Battery sitting at 12.6. It won’t fire up apart from seemingly random times. Now I’ve noticed I’m not getting the long beep on the half key turn nor is my vessel view showing any info. The times I did get to start today the vessel showed the standard info on the half key turn. Thinking electrical? Also I had a fault saying the ecu was connecting to the warning horn so I replace the horn and still a no go. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    Load test the battery and clean ALL the connections.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Also check the Keyswitch Harness Connection inside the cowling (note: if you have an older boat you MAY have an ADAPTER HARNESS that needs to be checked as well).

Other possible items include the lanyard switch and the MPR (Main Power Relay).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    What voltage should I be getting at my fuel pump? Doesn’t seem to be turning on when I turn the key.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fuel Pump is only powered for approximately 1.5 seconds after key is turned to the ON position. You should see approximately 12 volts between the two wires (at the connector) for ONLY the time the pump is powered.

If no voltage is present, check LANYARD switch, Battery/connections, fuses, and MPR (Main Power Relay).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Just went through a similar issue with my Merc (1999 200 Optimax). It would crank over fine all day, but would only randomly start??? When it would start, it would just be out of the blue, and would purr like a kitten. Then out of nowhere, it would just shut down like someone had went over and turned the key switch off. I'd try to start it right back up, and it would just crank over (not starting back up again???). This crap was driving me crazy because I feel I'm fairly mechanically inclined. Long story short, I kept thinking it was fuel related, and had replaced or rebuilt several things related to that system. I finally asked for some help on this site, and someone mentioned getting a timing light to ensure it wasn't ignition related. Sure enough, my #6 coil was not firing when the motor was trying to start. I guess every now and then it would, which is why sometimes randomly out of nowhere it would sometimes start??? Anyways, after researching, I discovered there was only four (4) components to my ignition system (the coils, ECU, wiring harness and Position Crank Sensor). I checked the coils, and PCS and determined they were ok. I then found a used ECU and wiring harness on ebay for $100 so purchased it. Unplugged my ECU, and plugged in the new one, and got no change (motor still not starting) so plugged back in my original ECU. After this, I began removing my wiring harness, and installed the one I had purchased. Well guess what, the second turn of the key after doing so, it fired right up and I haven't had another problem since. Getting the timing light, and hooking up it to each coil while cranking was what got me going down the right path. Once I saw that #6 coil not firing, I was pretty certain I didn't need to be looking for more fuel related issues. I guess I had something flaky going on with my harness that was causing my problem??? Hope this helps.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^ Good information, but a very different electrical system than the Original Poster's engine.