Check your trailers

My trailer had been squeaking for a little while on bumps and such for a while. Last tournament I fished I noticed it clunked when my Co took tight turns to swing around and line up on the ramp. Finally got the chance to crawl up under it to spray everything with some lube and check it out.
    I found a total of 1 bolt that was actually tight in the whole leaf spring assembly. I know suspension bolts aren't sinched down, but these things were LOOSE. The rear leaf spring bolt on one side was so loose there was a half inch gap between the leaf eye and the hanger tab and the nut nearly off the bolt. I would imagine that clunk I heard was where the leaf would shift on turns to the other side.
    I sprayed and torqued every bolt on it so hopefully my squeaks and clunks are done.
    Take the time to check your suspension bolts on your trailers guys

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I generally launch the boat and let my partner fish for a while and give the trailer a once over in the parking lot at least once a year. Easier than crawling under.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    U sound like u got my kinda luck!!...ove got a 3 month old boat and I've had to take and round every bolt on it...90 % of them were not tight...engine and jackplate bolts were the worse
    2020 721 250 mercury 4 stroke

4. Member
    scary

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin M View Post
    U sound like u got my kinda luck!!...ove got a 3 month old boat and I've had to take and round every bolt on it...90 % of them were not tight...engine and jackplate bolts were the worse
    I routinely check the lugs, jackplate, and motor bolts . The suspension hardware never comes to mind as something to check. It will now

6. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Thanks!

7. Member
    Good advice

Hmmmm. I noticed some popping in my trailer last weekend when I turned at the boat ramp. Never heard it before, time to investigate.

9. Member
    Thanks for the tip. With the road conditions up in PA and NY its a wonder my trailer is still in one piece.

10. Member
    I always take a minute after I launch to check the trailer over. Only takes a minute and always find a couple things every year that needs attention.
    Please release me,let me go.

11. Member
    HMMMMMM I noticed the same noise this past weekend.
    Phoenix 2021 721 ProXP
    250 V8 ProXS

12. Member
    i had the same noise took a good gel lube and put in on the shackles and ends of leaf springs also lubed up leaf springs with a penetrant lube seems to do the trick

13. Member
    Looked at mine yesterday in prep for a trip to Alabama on Saturday. I always check tire pressure and lug nuts. Found 2 lug nuts were not tight and cross threaded and locked up. Pays to check.

14. Scraps
    Sounds like it might not be just the bolts loose. Maybe your bushings are shot too.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Well I'm sure they use plastic bushings and they wear out fast. Upgrades are around look in the trailer forum for more
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089