Single axle trailer on 2003 200 ProXL?

Hi all. I'm in the process of purchasing a really well equipped 2003 200 ProXL with an opti 225. I know the boat and owner well, getting a great deal. The trailer is single axle. It's in great shape, looks original. Is that normal? I assumed a boat of this size would have a dual axle trailer. Thanks.

2. Member
    My 200 has a dual axle. I've read where some guys with boats that size end up blowing through tires and hubs due to weight.

If you are worried about your tires with the trailer load then there is the option of putting on small truck tires that can handle bigger loads.
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

4. Member
    put the new good year endurance on it and all will be great! I have had a 20 footer with single axle for almost 20 years, no issues at all.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    I have a 2003 200 Pro XL Bought it about 2 years ago. Single axle trailer. I used the trailer on a trip to FL in Feb - 900 miles each way. Never any issues, but this trip is going to become an annual event and I found a 2002 Stratos Dual axle trailer in Allentown PA in Sept for a grand, so I picked it up PDQ. Usually I move the boat about 50 to 100 feet every time I put it in the water. It stays next to the ramp at the lake. I brought it home last night on the dual axle trailer, about a 125 mile trip with my Grand Caravan. It did tow much nicer, not as much bouncing around. If the boat is in good shape though, I would not hesitate to buy it. I was able to get mine off of a buddy for $8500 and had to put about 2k into to get it back in shape. Chargers, trolling motor and batteries.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

My '95 201 was on a single-axle trailer. It's not necessarily out of the norm, it's a price-point thing just like rigging a boat with a lower hp motor.... It achieves a lower purchase price for the package for people that would otherwise not buy.

I know some of the comments didn't directly address your specific question but I agree with them. A tandem is much nicer in tow than a single-axle on longer trips - more "forgiving" under various circumstances. Donside is a single is much easier to precision-maneuver in close quarters and by hand is no question.

I rebuilt the single under my '89 285 into a tandem and made it much less stressful when making 600-1100 mile trips. Kept it and put under the 201, swapping it's single under the 285 to sell.

If you're not long-hauling, I wouldn't sweat it. Put good tires under it, watch inflation. Have the rig scaled, loaded the way you fish and fully fueled then look at what tires it takes for a comfortable load rating. If you're the type that loads stuff in the boat for hauling purposes on a trip you'll need to factor that in, also. Keep in mind that when you hit a significant depression or bump there is a momentary increase in effective load, so don't skimp on buffer. You can pick up some by bumping a size or 2, along with going from load range C to load range D.

Enjoy your deal.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-07-2019 at 10:11 PM.

My 93 and 95 both had single axles but the boats where not as heavy back in the day. My only complaint to the singles was the bounce but I only kept them a couple years.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    My 93 and 95 both had single axles but the boats where not as heavy back in the day. My only complaint to the singles was the bounce but I only kept them a couple years.

helps to balance tires also keeps bounce to a minimum
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

If towing a 20 ft bass boat on a single axle trailer it is crucial to have proper load class tires and run proper air pressure. Load class C is the minimum and they run 50 psi. If they have too much bounce then step up to load class D and they run 65 psi...there is a small price difference between the C and D but it might just be worth it to go ahead and get the D class. When it comes to trailer tires it's better to go overkill than to be not sufficient enough.