Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I think something that I notice is MLF creates a ton of content but some of that content is lacking a personal touch or making a personal connection to a lot of fans. That is something that seems to get brought up but gets dismissed by the MLF supporters. To have longetivity at some point I think MLF is gonna have to figure out a way to reach viewers and fans on a more personal level. Again they create a lot of content so that will interest people initially. Even the social media savvy anglers and groups like the Googans have personalized themselves to create that connection with fans. That is a big reason why the popularity is there. Look at Swindle...he is the king of content but he personalizes it and his personality keep people engaged and following him.

BPT has said numerous times their intent is not to have Expos and conventional things like you see at BASSFLW weigh ins. They do not want to activate as they say except for a future Red Crest etc. They seems to distance the personal contact with fans and I think that will catch up to them unless they find a way to get more buy in from fans wanting expos and such.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Nobody is going to lose sponsorship after a show. However, Boyd has mentioned many times the thousands of hours of video coverage, including hundreds per angler; tons more than any other organization before. Much like the 900+ hours of tv time mentioned in the previous post. Truth of the matter is, 8 tournaments x 2 hr/ea is 16 hours. Replay after replay, on tv, on demand and on an app to get this unprecedented exposure. In the end if you placed 11th-20th in every event that 900+ hours eluded you. Your sponsors too. That may be fine for sponsors like Toyota, General Tire, etc. But a lot of those guys are sponsored primarily by endemic sponsors; many smaller bait and tackle companies. I just don’t see any exposure for them, especially without top 10 finishes. Maybe they dont care? But I wouldn’t be surprised if you see some changes when contract renewal time comes.
    While performance (podium) is certainly a factor involved in sponsorship decisions for brands it's not typically the driver. Sponsorship is rights based first and foremost and in today's world has a ton of content and social performance tied to it as well. Podium for most is down the list because it's not controllable. What they can control is rights to image, logo placement, social posts and content creation etc. Brands today don't typically make cut decisions around TV, at least not that I've seen.

Lastly and maybe the most important point is if that's what you're measuring (TV exposure) then it's on the angler to perform. An argument can be made that if you don't perform well you don't deserve the air time. It's why they compete and it's why they're professionals. They know the rules and the risk. Win and you'll get the exposure for your personal brand and those you represent. Pretty simple. The ten guys who were on full display this weekend are probably pretty satisfied...

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Nobody is going to lose sponsorship after a show. However, Boyd has mentioned many times the thousands of hours of video coverage, including hundreds per angler; tons more than any other organization before. Much like the 900+ hours of tv time mentioned in the previous post. Truth of the matter is, 8 tournaments x 2 hr/ea is 16 hours. Replay after replay, on tv, on demand and on an app to get this unprecedented exposure. In the end if you placed 11th-20th in every event that 900+ hours eluded you. Your sponsors too. That may be fine for sponsors like Toyota, General Tire, etc. But a lot of those guys are sponsored primarily by endemic sponsors; many smaller bait and tackle companies. I just don’t see any exposure for them, especially without top 10 finishes. Maybe they dont care? But I wouldn’t be surprised if you see some changes when contract renewal time comes.
    It was one show. You have no clue how much tv time anyone will get. I will give y'all this. I get a good laugh reading this shit

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I think something that I notice is MLF creates a ton of content but some of that content is lacking a personal touch or making a personal connection to a lot of fans. That is something that seems to get brought up but gets dismissed by the MLF supporters. To have longetivity at some point I think MLF is gonna have to figure out a way to reach viewers and fans on a more personal level. Again they create a lot of content so that will interest people initially. Even the social media savvy anglers and groups like the Googans have personalized themselves to create that connection with fans. That is a big reason why the popularity is there. Look at Swindle...he is the king of content but he personalizes it and his personality keep people engaged and following him.

BPT has said numerous times their intent is not to have Expos and conventional things like you see at BASSFLW weigh ins. They do not want to activate as they say except for a future Red Crest etc. They seems to distance the personal contact with fans and I think that will catch up to them unless they find a way to get more buy in from fans wanting expos and such.
    MP, you and I agree on most points but I couldn't disagree more with this one. I see the anglers engage on a personal level, I see the property engaging with the fan base and I see fans getting the opportunity to engage as well. This narrative that they don't want fans is simply absurd. Does the lack of a weigh in prohibit some interaction sure but they create opportunities and did some really great things this year in the local markets that people simply are ignoring or just not aware of. Again, it's going to evolve and they'll find their sweet spot and figure out some activations that work for everyone but the constant reference to not wanting to personally engage with fans is completely off base.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Ish, they said he can’t catch dink’s, so he was dropped.
    Unless BASS adds past Elite tour winners to current Legend exemption requirement Ish is screwed going back to the opens. Right now to get Legend exemption points you must have a past AOY and/or Classic title, thats how Elias stayed in so long and how Fritts is still in the Elites.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Jones View Post
    MP, you and I agree on most points but I couldn't disagree more with this one. I see the anglers engage on a personal level, I see the property engaging with the fan base and I see fans getting the opportunity to engage as well. This narrative that they don't want fans is simply absurd. Does the lack of a weigh in prohibit some interaction sure but they create opportunities and did some really great things this year in the local markets that people simply are ignoring or just not aware of. Again, it's going to evolve and they'll find their sweet spot and figure out some activations that work for everyone but the constant reference to not wanting to personally engage with fans is completely off base.
    I trust your experience as you are close to it.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 10-06-2019 at 08:55 PM.

7. Banned
    And yet you have fans here on this very site disagreeing with your viewpoint so obviously there is a divide there either real or misconstrued.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Dreaming View Post
    And yet you have fans here on this very site disagreeing with your viewpoint so obviously there is a divide there either real or misconstrued.
    No doubt, that's why I'm addressing it.

9. Member
    I trust your experience as you are close to it.

10. Banned
    I think something that I notice is MLF creates a ton of content but some of that content is lacking a personal touch or making a personal connection to a lot of fans.
    Ya mean the desperate housewives ain't feeling the personal touch and aren't making that emotional connection with the MLF/BPsT pros???...Dan

11. Member
    I thought the serious bass guy wasnt their target audience?
    But why wouldn't you want to try to appeal to them?

12. Member
    Yeah I get that 100% and that's a fair point. Plenty of anglers do a great job of providing insight and breaking things down on all of the three Tours. I think it depends entirely on the angler and if they're cognizant of that at that particular moment in the competition. It's highly unlikely in Edwin's or any other anglers mind at that moment that they're thinking I need to slow down and break this all down for Joe in Topeka who's going to be watching later.

I do know that all of the Tours do a really good job of going back after the fact and creating content for their social channels and website that breakdown tips, tricks and tactics. If it's a priority for someone, they can find the info.
    They have to know joe in Topeka is watching why would they not be coached in targeting them some what? They certainty are coached in pushing the live release.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    But why wouldn't you want to try to appeal to them?
    Because they thought we were sheep and would just follow them wherever they went... Dan

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Because they thought we were sheep and would just follow them wherever they went... Dan
    5 pages of posts, i think they were right that the sheep would follow.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post

You are generalizing and being a bit dramatic with that statement. Go through this thread and see how many seemed to not enjoy the show. There are several guys not trolling or participating in the BS that normally ensues. They are offering their opinions on it. Its not like this whole post was full of praise. For the most part I enjoyed it but then again I enjoy most fishing shows. I am surprised more on this thread seemed to not be as into it as I figured they would.

16. Member
    You are generalizing and being a bit dramatic with that statement. Go through this thread and see how many seemed to not enjoy the show. There are several guys not trolling or participating in the BS that normally ensues. They are offering their opinions on it. Its not like this whole post was full of praise. For the most part I enjoyed it but then again I enjoy most fishing shows. I am surprised more on this thread seemed to not be as into it as I figured they would.
    My point was most who say they are not following them are saying they watched but did not find it interesting. Now if they never watch another episode they might be right but if you continue watching and complaining about what you're seeing you're still watching thus part of the audience. If most hate it then there would be very little discussion about whats going on with it. The never BPTers are still watching and participating after months of saying they aren't interested, they're just saying they hate it and won't be interested or watching.

17. Banned
    This thread is like a bunch of straight guys cars parked in the blue oyster bar parking lot.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Is BBC part of the BPT now?

19. Member
    Is BBC part of the BPT now?
    BPT has occupied a lot of space in BBC'ers heads so while BBC is not part of BPT you can say BPT is part of BBC as it gives the non watchers a venue to say they aren't watching.

I've been interested in the BPT/MLF since it started. The live coverage this season was super. But, I was disappointed in the show that aired this weekend. I was expecting that each day of the BPT event would be one show and they would air all of the various shotgun and elimination days over the course of a month or so, culminating in the the finals being shown at the end. Instead, we got the finals as a stand alone show. What aired this weekend reminded me of the MLF shows that were shown on CBS...lots of fish catching, but not much build-up and very little strategy or lake breakdown being shown...the kind of stuff that diehard bass fishermen want to see. I understand BPT/MLF wanting program their events to broaden their appeal and expand their audience. But, if it is done at the expense of losing their core audience...not good. Wasn't this exactly what happened with NASCAR?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast