4runner owners, stepup please

Odd place to put this but,, Id like to buy a gen 3 runner 98 t0 00. for those of you who have or have had the runner with a 4 cyl 2.7 or the 6 cyl 3.4, please give me your opinions. I have a truck to tow the boat so thats not the issue. Im retired, dont drive much, less than 50 miles a week usually, but the occasional road trip isn't out of the picture, looking for info on reliability, durability, driveablity ect. I understand that between the 4 and the 6 the mpg is about 2 to 3 miles per gal, and economy is a factor. I run around town, drive 65 to 70 on the freeway and I have a soft foot. any and all your opinions are valued . thanks

2. Member
    I had a 99 6 cyl. Probably my favorite vehicle I have owned. Have had an 04 Tahoe since. Liked it and drove it into the ground but still was not near as fun as the 4Runner. Have a 2017 F150 SCREW now and love it but it is a different beast. That 99 drove great, was comfortable but could offroad awesome. Just great all around.

3. Banned
    Both motors super reliable, I would want the 3.4 v6 although neither has much power. If you get the 3.4 make sure the timing belt is changed, do that water pump at the same time.

4. Member
    The 2.7 and the 3.4 are super reliable engines, stay away from the 3.0 though.

Get the V-6 and check the underside for rust. I had a '99 a while back, body looked great but the underside, frame and everything, was rusted bad. Every bolt I touched broke off. It was just a winter beater for me so not a big deal. Drove it for a year and sold it for what I paid for it.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

6. Member
    I had a 3rd gen from 15k miles till 230k. I put an o2 sensor in it and upgraded the from brakes to tundra 13wl brakes because the stock ones are a little small for the weight. Other than that regular oil changes is all I did to it.
    3.4 is the way to go. You'll get 18-20 with a light foot.
    Just check the frame for rust and the back side of the drum assembly for gear oil as it's pretty common for rear axle seals to go bad around 100-150k.

7. Member
    I'm at 240k on a 99 3.4. bodies pretty good still but frame rusted all on passenger side but nothing I haven't repaired better then factory. It's not my daily anymore but still good for a 4x4 with AC.

Good info , I’m also looking for one for a hunting/ forest road type vehicle and know little about them other than it seems like every one they ever made is still on the road and looks good

9. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    The real place you should ask in on www.tacomaworld.com

Go to the 4runner forum ( www.4runners.com ) and you'll find out everything you need to know.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

10. Member
    I love mine!

In high school I had a '91. 4 cylinder. I don't remember if it was a 2.4 or if it was the 2.7 back then. It was a 5 speed manual and it was under powered. It was a great vehicle, but it just didn't have any pep. I averaged about 20 mpg with it.

If you have rust issues at all or it come from a rust area check in close around the rear suspension ...trailing arms and shock mounts

I had a 98 Tacoma. I believe the 4Runner was the same frame.
    The truck was beautiful, no body rust and ran great at 255,000 mi. It went to the junk yard last year because the frame was so rotten it was unsafe, they gave me $400 for it.
    Toyota refused to take responsibility. They said the special extended frame replacement warranty expired at 15 years. I took it to them in years 13,14, & 15 and they said the frame was solid. In year 16 they said it was getting bad, but it was out of warranty. I welded steel on it a few times but at age 20 it went to the junkyard.
    So be careful, get underneath and look; and poke it with a screwdriver.