2006 Triton Tr-196 leaning...

I've have a 2006 Triton Tr-196 with a 200hp Mercury that I bought in Sept 2019. I like everything about the rig except the leaning to the right when de-accelerating. I filled the port side livewell almost full today and it helped a lil. I'm a pretty good size man, right around 300 lbs. Should I move most of my tackle and equipment to the port side? It's to the point I'm almost ready to sell it and buy something else. Thanks for any tips.
    2006 Triton Tr-196
    200 HP Mercury EFI
    Garmin electronics

2. Member
    Of course you should move weight to the port side. You need to balance the boat. If you are a large guy, you may have to even add some xtra weight to make it level. Most any boat with a 300 pound driver is going to lean I suspect. I weigh 200 and if I leave my port side light my boat leans as well. I think you’ll be happy once you balance it out.

3. Member
    Kinda figured I needed to. Lol. Gives me an incentive to lose weight myself. As far as everything else about the boat, it seems like a real good rig. Thanks for the reply
    2006 Triton Tr-196
    200 HP Mercury EFI
    Garmin electronics

4. Member
    i have a 2005 tr196 just like yours and mine does not lean,i am 5'8 and 150 max out wet,i just got mine and so far no problems i ran it up to 68 the other day and it was stable to be ,i felt it moving around 62 and i pulled to the left again and it settled right down no trouble with chine walk at 68,i think any boat at 65 plus will be a little different,i first bass boat was a 1987 shadow tunnel hull now that was a good boat to learn to drive with lol,the guy i got mine from said it would 73 mph

5. Member
    My '05 leans as well. No idea why. I'm about 200lbs, have loaded the port livewell, tried to balance the tackle more port. I've just learning to live with it.
    2005 Triton TR-196
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    Of course you should move weight to the port side. You need to balance the boat. If you are a large guy, you may have to even add some xtra weight to make it level. Most any boat with a 300 pound driver is going to lean I suspect. I weigh 200 and if I leave my port side light my boat leans as well. I think you’ll be happy once you balance it out.
    I agree with this. I weigh 260 and pretty much any boat I've ever driven will lean at least slightly with just me in the boat.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

7. Member
    Not sure about JB's vessel but in mine, it's not a small lean - it's a full on list to starboard. Maybe it's the fuel moving with the off-balance. A 46 gallon tank that's 3/4 full is a lot of weight sloshing about. Don't know. It's a fine fishing platform and I'll keep mine.
    2005 Triton TR-196
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180

8. Member
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna check my PTP distance today. Was told by my dealer this could be a lil bit of the problem besides my fat butt. Tight lines fellers!!
    2006 Triton Tr-196
    200 HP Mercury EFI
    Garmin electronics

9. Member
    IMHO most boats lean when fishing solo....and size matters. I found that moving 100% of my equipment forward of the consoles, managing fuel load and filling one livewell (port when solo & starboard with a co-angler) maximizes my performance and minimizes the lean.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

10. Member
    I just measured my PTP. The pad measures 15 1/4" to floor. Center of prop shaft to floor is 14 1/2". I measured 5 times and it's the same. 3/4" of PTP? Guess I'm gonna drop motor down some and try it.
    2006 Triton Tr-196
    200 HP Mercury EFI
    Garmin electronics

11. Member
    Mine was set that high when I bought it also. I dropped it to 2 1/2" and overall performance is better but nothing changed with the lean when I fish alone. I moved the starting battery to the passenger side which helped a little. The lean disappears when the boat starts to get on the pad so it is not an issue for me.