Thread: Pellet grill

Pellet grill

Thinking of replacing the old worn out gas grill with a pellet grill. Any suggestions on brands? How much pellets does one use?

2. Member
    Pitt Boss

Heard good things about Rec Tec.

4. Member
    I have a Green Mountain...works great...cooks great. I can tell rust is going to be a problem. I've had it about 6 months and the front shelf is rusting pretty bad. Looks like the paint they used on the shelf can't handle the heat and it bubbled and started to rust. Gonna sand it and repaint it with high heat type paint. The rest of the grill has been solid.

5. Member
    Just another Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate. I'll throw out Grilla as a great brand. After months and months of obsessing and researching I purchased the Grilla. I'd narrowed it down to the RecTec or the Grilla. Both are well made and have great reputations and will not break the bank to purchase. The Grilla sold me with a dual purpose controller (PID and Pro mode) along with double walled construction that allows it to hold temps a little better imho. My best information came from FB pages for the various brands owners and reading their comments and experiences with their grills/smokers. Depending on the temps I'm cooking at, I usually get at least an hour for around a pound of pellets (I usually am smoking around 225-275) with Lumberjack pellets.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

6. Member
    I've had a Green Mountain "Daniel Boone" grill since February. No issues or problems and cooking on it is very simple. I have found the included temperature probe to be very helpful. I do use Traeger brand pellets because I get better smoke flavor, longer burn time and more consistent temperatures with them. Do not waste your time on cheap pellets!

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

RecTec quality is like no other. It holds temperature within 1 or 2 degrees. All stainless steel and they use a PID controller that is very precise.
    Several different models to choose from. Prices are similar to traeger but traeger is terrible quality and customer service. The Pit boss is an entry level grill that's cheaply made and sold at big box stores.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

9. Member
    Depends on what you want to spend. I own three. A Pitt boss with a Savannah Stoker controller. Great cooker should last a couple more years. Grilla Chimp for rv. Small and portable. Great cooker should last about 5 years. Unbelievable customer service. Pitts and Spits 1250. Great cooker, large, will last a life time. Good luck from a lifetime stick cooker. JD
    2020 BCB Lynx 300 pro xs 4s
    2013 BCB Puma 250 pro xs
    WPS

I bought a Rectec this spring and love it so far. I had a propane smoker before and was constantly adjusting it to keep the temp steady or adding wood etc. Pellet is so much easier, just set the temp and forget about it for hours. I have a pork butt on it right now that will cook through the night. Never felt good about doing that before because the temp would never stay steady or you had to add wood. I can set it and go run errands or whatever else I want. If I want to I can check the temp on my phone to see if it's getting close to being done or double check the temp of the grill itself.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    Just another Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate. I'll throw out Grilla as a great brand. After months and months of obsessing and researching I purchased the Grilla. I'd narrowed it down to the RecTec or the Grilla. Both are well made and have great reputations and will not break the bank to purchase. The Grilla sold me with a dual purpose controller (PID and Pro mode) along with double walled construction that allows it to hold temps a little better imho. My best information came from FB pages for the various brands owners and reading their comments and experiences with their grills/smokers. Depending on the temps I'm cooking at, I usually get at least an hour for around a pound of pellets (I usually am smoking around 225-275) with Lumberjack pellets.

+1 for Grilla

12. Member
    I've got the GMG Daniel Boone. Awesome smoker, had it for 3 years. No issues, no rust. Recommend getting the Wifi.

13. Member
    Went check Lowes. They had a Pit Boss priced wrong. There was a PB820D and PB820DPro marked the same price. I asked them to check the price on the non-pro model. It should not have been the same price as the pro model. The pro model has the wi-fi and temp probes. It took them an hour to look up a price, but found it listed under Weber Grills. It was also missing a shelf. I got it for $225. Decided for that price, I didn't need the wi-fi and temp probes. The pro model was $599.

I've got 2 Rec=Tec smokers and would buy again , I like my big one a lot better than the small one , now I rarely use my BGE .

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BARRY J View Post
    Went check Lowes. They had a Pit Boss priced wrong. There was a PB820D and PB820DPro marked the same price. I asked them to check the price on the non-pro model. It should not have been the same price as the pro model. The pro model has the wi-fi and temp probes. It took them an hour to look up a price, but found it listed under Weber Grills. It was also missing a shelf. I got it for $225. Decided for that price, I didn't need the wi-fi and temp probes. The pro model was $599.
    Congrats on purchase! Compared to charcoal smokers, it's like night and day in terms of flavor. Had a PB820D before. I must admit, that wi-fi and such are not that necessary, as for temp probes - got the "deluxe" several years ago on a Black Friday sale, assembled it, and then returned it unused. Why? Had temp control issues, and that's why I prefer less techie models now. Switched to PB820D and was pretty happy with it, used about two years (now it serves well to my brother), now we replaced it with a PB's FB700 (as it has grill + smoker functions, missus wanted to make smoked salts and peppers). So far so good
    Last edited by jeremy_w; 12-10-2021 at 05:02 AM.