Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Iowa Pastor (LCMS) slain

The Rev. Allen Henderson was robbed and slain outside his church Wednesday. St. Paul Lutheran (Ft. Dodge, Iowa) is a member of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. The suspect, Joshua Pendleton, is in police custody. The Rev. Henderson was called (LCMS does not 'hire' pastors, they are 'divinely called') to St. Paul in 1999. Prayers for his immediate family, his congregation, his Synod, and Mr. Pendleton are appreciated.

sdbrison--I know you are a member of the LCMS. This must feel like a gut punch.

Christ said, "The love of most will grow cold." Mt 24:12

"I wait in the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope." Ps 130:5
    Last edited by msethsmile; 10-04-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Had not seen this reported. Prayers for the family. Very sad thing no matter who it happens to, Pastor, homeless, co-worker, it is a shame. We live in a fallen and broken world, suffering is inevitable. The really sad part is the suffering that comes at the hands of other humans. Mankind is incredibly cruel to their own,
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

3. Member
    (I hadn't heard that. I'm a Southern Baptist, but it hits home to me also. My wife is a Missouri Synod Lutheran (although I tell her she's really a "Luthertist") and my step-son is a LCMS pastor/Army Chaplin.)

Our Father in heaven. We pray for this fallen and sinful world we live in. We pray for this pastor, his family, and his friends and congregation. We know they are hurting Lord. We ask You to wrap them in Your loving arms and let them feel Your presence in this time of sorrow.

And Lord, we pray for the killer. We can't understand why one person would do something like this to another, but we pray that they will realize the horror of the deed they have done, and will turn to You, repent, and sincerely seek Your forgiveness.

In the precious and Holy name of Your Son, Jesus we pray.

Amen,

4. Member
    Governor Reynolds ordered State flags to half staff. A LCMS pastor in the same circuit as St. Paul Lutheran said it all, "Remember, Christ died for Mr. Pendleton (the suspect) too." A matter of certainty.

Note: Some Christians believe Christ died only for the elect. Others (Lutherans included) believe Christ died for all (universal grace). Therefore Mr. Pendleton is included under grace. King David was a murderer (Uriah) and included under grace. God even called David "A man after my own heart," Who knows the depths of the fatherheart of God? He only gives us glimpses of it in Scripture. Why? Man's heart is tainted by sin and cannot comprehend God's fatherheart. We get just enough info for salvation. In your first moment in Heaven--you will fully know the fatherheart of God, as did Rev. Henderson.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 10-05-2019 at 09:39 AM.

5. Member
    The Rev. Henderson has simply transferred his membership from the Church Militant (here on earth) to the Church Triumphant (heaven). He used to live in God's Kingdom of Grace (earth). He now resides in God's Kingdom of Glory (Heaven).

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by msethsmile View Post
    Governor Reynolds ordered State flags to half staff. A LCMS pastor in the same circuit as St. Paul Lutheran said it all, "Remember, Christ died for Mr. Pendleton (the suspect) too." A matter of certainty.

Note: Some Christians believe Christ died only for the elect. Others (Lutherans included) believe Christ died for all (universal grace). Therefore Mr. Pendleton is included under grace. King David was a murderer (Uriah) and included under grace. God even called David "A man after my own heart," Who knows the depths of the fatherheart of God? He only gives us glimpses of it in Scripture. Why? Man's heart is tainted by sin and cannot comprehend God's fatherheart. We get just enough info for salvation. In your first moment in Heaven--you will fully know the fatherheart of God, as did Rev. Henderson.
    Amen and praise God!

7. Member
    Amen Brother. AMEN!

8. Member

Just like his son Solomon, David started as" a man after my own heart", and just like Solomon, his lust brought him down to the dirt. ( the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree) It shows us that, once GOD gave him His word, GOD did not change His plans to give him an heritage for his throne, hence Jesus Christ our King Forever.
    We need to fervently pray for those "Christians" that believe that Christ died only for the elect, afterall, He forgave the sins of the criminal on the cross, how much more do they need as proof that He died for ALL sinners.
    Peculiar, St Paul Lutheran is the name of our church here in Hilton NY.

9. Member
    David also ended as "a man after my own heart". Read Psalm 51, written by David (under the inspiration of the HS) after​ he was confronted by Nathan the prophet about adultery, murder. As in all things, its about the heart. More grace, from that illicit relationship was the line of Christ.

Psalm 51:1-17 (Woof, here is a man of great faith...who was restored)

Have mercy on me, O God,
    according to your unfailing love;
    according to your great compassion
    blot out my transgressions.
    2 Wash away all my iniquity
    and cleanse me from my sin.

3 For I know my transgressions,
    and my sin is always before me.
    4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
    and done what is evil in your sight;
    so you are right in your verdict
    and justified when you judge.
    5 Surely I was sinful at birth,
    sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
    6 Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb;
    you taught me wisdom in that secret place.

7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
    wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
    8 Let me hear joy and gladness;
    let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
    9 Hide your face from my sins
    and blot out all my iniquity.

10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
    and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
    11 Do not cast me from your presence
    or take your Holy Spirit from me.
    12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
    and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
    so that sinners will turn back to you.
    14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
    you who are God my Savior,
    and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
    15 Open my lips, Lord,
    and my mouth will declare your praise.
    16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
    you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
    17 My sacrifice, O God, is[b] a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart
    you, God, will not despise.

Question 1: How could David be certain God would "blot out his transgressions" (v1), "wash away his iniquity" (v2), "cleanse me" (v3)? Answer: David saw at a distance (900-1000 years) the blood attained cross and empty tomb. "A broken and contrite heart, you, God, will not despise." Indeed. Forgiveness of sins is a beautiful and powerful thing. It removes David's (our) heart of stone and gives him (us) a heart of flesh (Ezekiel 36:26).

Question 2: Why would God choose David (adulterer, murderer) to be king and in the lineage of Christ? Answer: Grace. (We're in good standing with God for Christ's sake).

Last edited by msethsmile; 10-30-2019 at 09:20 AM.

10. Member
    David also ended as "a man after my own heart". Read Psalm 51, written by David (under the inspiration of the HS) after​ he was confronted by Nathan the prophet about adultery, murder. As in all things, its about the heart. More grace, from that illicit relationship was the line of Christ.

Question 2: Why would God choose David (adulterer, murderer) to be king and in the lineage of Christ? Answer: Grace. (We're in good standing with God for Christ's sake).

You are right that David repented when Nathan confronted him about Bathsheba, and his lustful treacherous plan to leave out Uriah and his men on the front line in the heat of the battle.
    Not only Uriah was killed, but what about the men assigned to him? Through the many other stumbles David had after this, especially within his own family, GOD shows us to value of contrate repentance.
    Question 2
    In reading Christ lineage, we truly find the meaning of GOD using to lowest of the low to confound the proud and boastful.

11. Member
    Old math. Contrition+Fath=Repentance. (Judas was contrite but had no faith---Peter was contrite and had faith, he was restored)

God knew in eternity (before the world, before time) that David, Rev Henderson, and us were sinners. Every time we sin, we spit in God's face. Yet, in eternity God saw fit to send Christ to a bunch of rebels. Before conversion, we are spiritually blind, deaf, and dead (Eph 2:1-2). Restoration of spiritual corpses thru Christ for David, Rev. Henderson, Mr. Pendleton, and even us. In eternity, "Behold the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world." Reside in grace.

12. Member
    [QUOTE=msethsmile;10620989]Old math. Contrition+Faith=Repentance. (Judas was contrite but had no faith---Peter was contrite and had faith, he was restored)
    Reckon we will never know whether or not Judas in his last tormented moments was contrite and had no faith ( I have betrayed innocent blood, and he cast the coins onto the temple floor at the Pharisees and went to hang himself). I believe that many are in Heaven, who, in our limited human minds, some believe they should not be there, yet, all things are possible to GOD, for He is the only one that truly knows our hearts.

13. Member
    Mark 14:21b (Jesus said, referring to Judas) " But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”

John 6:70b (Jesus said, referring to Judas) “
    Yet one of you is a devil."

(don't know why its underlined)

Last edited by msethsmile; 11-02-2019 at 09:31 AM.

14. Member

John 6:70b (Jesus said, referring to Judas) “
    Yet one of you is a devil."

(don't know why its underlined)

Ask yourself this, would have been possible for any devil to be around or next to Jesus based on many of the reactions that we have read in the entire gospels.
    Perhaps, Jesus was referring to the actions he was about to accomplish. How many times as someone referred to a person based on their actions "you are a devil" or "you are a little devil" if it is a child doing the deed.
    Unless we can conclude that we know the mind of GOD (Jesus himself said that He did not know it), I will not make a statement of what His decisions may be. However, you can make that choice if you would like, since it is your to make.

15. Member
    "One of you is a devil." means one of you is a devil.

Does God allow evil? (in this case, next to Him?) Does God use (not cause) evil for good? Joseph to his brothers, Gen 50:20, "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives."

Take the previous quote and substitute Jesus for Joseph and Judas for the brothers. It still fits. God used (not caused) Judas/evil for the saving (eternally) of many lives. Evil sitting next to Christ? No problem. There was no Plan B. God orchestrated all the events leading up to the cross--particularly the Passion week.--Not to mention the previous centuries. What are the odds that only the tribe of Judah would survive (a remnant-Isaiah)(The scepter will never depart from Judah-Genesis). God preserved them to fulfill the promise of Christ's birth into Judah. God still preserves a remnant (Christians) today. The remnant will return. Good news for God's elect. He is faithful. Heaven is our home.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 11-04-2019 at 09:43 AM.

16. Member
    [QUOTE=msethsmile;10628757]"One of you is a devil." means one of you is a devil.

Does God allow evil? (in this case, next to Him?)
    Job 6: 6-12
    Does God use (not cause) evil for good? Joseph to his brothers, Gen 50:20, "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives."
    Job
    This is what I was talking about though:
    Mat 9:28-29, Mk 5:6-9, Lk 9:28-30
    Mat 17:14-21, Mk9:14-29, Lk10: 37-43
    Hopefully this gives a better explanation of what I was talking about how devils reacted around Jesus, and how would it be possible for Judas to be with him all the years of His ministry without such reaction. My opinion, I believe that Judas was in love with power and money, and latched on to Jesus for these factors and waiting for Him to claim being king. When Jesus announced that He was going to be killed instead of becoming a worldly king, he lost it, and when on to latch on to the next thing that could have possibly provided him with money and power.
    Did God use his evil actions for good, absolutely; his betrayal brought about the crucifiction, hence, GOD's plan of salvation goes into motion.

17. Member
    Does God allow evil ?

Isaiah 45:7 (KJV)
    “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    Does God allow evil ?
    Isaiah 45:7 (KJV)
    “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

Hey Dozer,
    What is your opinion of what GOD allowed in Job?
    My opinion, How did Job come out of his horrible tribulation? Joseph? Jeremiah? Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, Azariah? Ruth? Lazarus the beggar?
    I could go on, but I am confident you get my meaning.

19. Member
    John 17:12 (part of Jesus' High Priestly Prayer, the nite He was betrayed)12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by[a] that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

Other translations: "son of perdition." doomed to destruction--eternally

20. Member
    Is 45:7 NIV, "I bring prosperity and create disaster."

NKJV, "I make peace and create calamity."

NLT, "I send good times and bad times."

NRSV, "I make weal and create woe."

Weal? Jed Clampett in surprise or amazement: "Wealll doggies!"
    Last edited by msethsmile; 11-05-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast