Thread: Triton TRX 189

Triton TRX 189

New to the forum here. Been watching and reading for a while but just now signing up for an account. I was wandering if y’all could help me. I have a 2017 triton Trx189 with a mercury opti max 150. I bought the bought new and it come with a 21 prop.
    I am wandering if anyone has the same boat, what speeds you where getting, and what prop has worked best for you.
    Im getting at WOT 5200 rpms
    My top speed is 52mph
    both are with my wife and I in boat.

from everything I have read online I should be getting more on both.
    Any information is much appreciated!!!

Thank you!
    Justin

I have the same boat. Mine is a 2015 189 TRX w/ 150 ProXS. I too am running a 21p tempest.
    Few questions:
    Do you have a jackplate?
    If so what is your pad to prop height?
    When testing are u testing with full load? Livewells full gas full etc.
    Is the speed you are seeing via GPS or the speedo installed on boat.

I can say from what you have given so far if you are only turning 5200 rpm's WOT you are not set up properly. I would start with checking pad to prop height. Adjust motor height accordingly. That motor should be turning a 21p tempest at max rpm's EASY.
    I have tried multiple props sizes, motor heights, etc and from what i have seen my boat runs best at a 3.25-3.5 in pad to prop height and running a 21p tempest. With full load me, co-angler, full livewells, and full tank of gas. I am turning 5800rpm's and getting 55-56mph. By myself with light load and turning a 22p tempest I can get close to 59-60.

3. Member
    My pad height is defiantly low. The dealership set it up. I think they said it was around 3. I honesty don’t know that part. Will have to check it.
    Has a jack plate, going off gps on speed, and live wells are empty during this.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by justink25 View Post
    My pad height is defiantly low. The dealership set it up. I think they said it was around 3. I honesty don’t know that part. Will have to check it.
    Has a jack plate, going off gps on speed, and live wells are empty during this.

Thank you!
    I was wrong. I went back and checked some msg where I helped someone else out before and my pad to prop is at 2.75" I could probably raise mine a little more since my water pressure has a little more wiggle room 16-17 psi but my jackplate is as high as it will go. I would have to raise motor on my jackplate. I dont want to deal with it now since my boat is doing what i want it to do. Hope this helps.

5. Member
    Gotcha
    thank you!!

6. Member
    How many hours are on the motor? A couple things you may need to check or have your dealer check are WOT, and your jackplate height. If you decide you need to come up some on the plate take a marker and mark your plate where the two parts come together so you will always know where you started. Odds are you probably need to raise your jackplate some, just watch your water pressure.

7. Member
    80ish hours on motor.
    I have an appointment with dealer Tuesday to get it ironed out

thank you

8. Member
    What dealer are you going to?

9. Banned
    Just know you're going to lose a few hundred RPM's until the water and air temps come down. I only turn 5200-5400 RPM during the summer and lucky to get 50-55 MPH out of it. Just the way it is. I just fished Jordan yesterday and could barely crack 5400 RPM by myself, full fuel, empty livewell. Throw another person in there and I could see only getting 5200-5300 RPM.

Your setup sounds correct. These hulls aren't rockets.

10. Member
    I'm in a '19 more or less fresh off the lot with a ProXS 150 on it. I was also on Jordan yesterday (think I saw you if your in a red/black/white Triton Riccochet!) and I was getting 58 with 3/4 tank and about 300 pounds of me / gear / dog... I was also turning almost 6300 RPMs. Talking to the dealer today but it sounds like I'm getting way more RPMs than most out of these 18ft tritons

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lobo View Post
    I'm in a '19 more or less fresh off the lot with a ProXS 150 on it. I was also on Jordan yesterday (think I saw you if your in a red/black/white Triton Riccochet!) and I was getting 58 with 3/4 tank and about 300 pounds of me / gear / dog... I was also turning almost 6300 RPMs. Talking to the dealer today but it sounds like I'm getting way more RPMs than most out of these 18ft tritons
    I was at Jordan on Friday and Saturday. Place was tough on Saturday when that cold front moved in.

12. Member
    Oh I was out there Friday, Saturday too. Guess it would have been Saturday I'm thinking I saw you, down on the south side. Those fish were NOT hungry this weekend!

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lobo View Post
    Oh I was out there Friday, Saturday too. Guess it would have been Saturday I'm thinking I saw you, down on the south side. Those fish were NOT hungry this weekend!
    Yeah I stayed south most of the day. Didn't really make a difference, fished north too and didn't get bit. My boat is gunmetal silver with red stripes and black bottom.

14. Member
    Just curious what your prop to pad height is, i have an identical setup with no jack plate and my prop to pad is 4.5”. I can only get 5200-5300 rpms out of the motor with a top speed between 56-58 with 2 people and a light load. I’m just wondering how much more rpms i could turn by raising my motor. There’s only 1 more hole I could move for adjustment which would put me around 3.5” prop to pad and would it be worth it?