Taneycomo Preferred Boat for trout fishing and any other fish?

What type of boat is most functional for all areas of Taneycomo for fishing trout?
    Shallow waters, rocks and reefs, changing depths daily, current, etc.
    Jet drive or prop?
    tin or glass?
    Drift under power or use trolling motor?

i have never fished it but plan on it soon.
    Any experienced comments would be appreciated.
    Tom

2. Member
    Not much experience there, I had my bass boat on it 20+ years ago. A bass boat is too much HP for me to be safe there with narrow lake channel and boats all around, had a hard time keeping it on plane yet still slow enough to be safe My guess would be a deep vee tin boat, you don't want to end up falling into that COLD drink.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYE View Post
    Not much experience there, I had my bass boat on it 20+ years ago. A bass boat is too much HP for me to be safe there with narrow lake channel and boats all around, had a hard time keeping it on plane yet still slow enough to be safe My guess would be a deep vee tin boat, you don't want to end up falling into that COLD drink.
    I agree on both points. But that deep v may be tough around some of the rock channels at the upper end though. Maybe a flat bottom with some high gunnels. I think there was a song about “flat bottom girls”

4. Member
    I kept a Lowe 180 with a 75hp Etec on Taney for a year or so and it was plenty. Depending on the generation once you get above fall creek you kinda need to know where the channel is.
    With 3 or 4 turbines running you could get all the way up to Table Rock Dam and down to power site. I wouldn't do a deep V.
    Also, the ramp at empire park is sheltered from the current pretty well. Getting it back on the trailer with the turbines running can be a challenge if your not experienced.
    If I were buying a boat just for Taney it would be a aluminum center console.
    Last edited by rangerjockey; 10-05-2019 at 10:29 AM.

5. Member
    I have not ran a boat on Taneycomo, but looking around some of the resorts and what they rent, center console aluminum boats seem to be the going rate.
    1984 Ranger 395V 1998 Mariner 225 Mag EFI

"A bad day of fishing, is always better then a good day at work"

6. Member

USA

I have fished out of both ( a jon boat with a jet, and a 20ft "V" fiberglass with a 200 ). You just have to have some on the water experience. You probably can't get all the way to below the dam with a non jet boat. Most people motor upstream to Fall Creek and float/drift back as far as you want to go ( if they are running water ). You don't have to have your boat in 2ft of water to catch fish. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by rangerjockey View Post
    If I were buying a boat just for Taney it would be a aluminum center console.
    ^^^^^^^This, For sure,

8. Member
    If I was buying specific for Taneycomo it would be a flat bottom jet, 16' plus.

9. Member
    You don't need a jet on 90 % of the lake. Maybe if you want to try to get past the narrows among the fly fisherman but personally I think there's enough good spots from fall creek down there no point.
    Heck, you see more pontoon boats on it than anything.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerjockey View Post
    You don't need a jet on 90 % of the lake. Maybe if you want to try to get past the narrows among the fly fisherman but personally I think there's enough good spots from fall creek down there no point.
    Heck, you see more pontoon boats on it than anything.
    I agree. Fish Taneycomo once a year in January for an annual trout tournament. Fish out of a21 foot fiberglass bass boat. Don’t go above Fall Creek anymore, since we can’t fish above Fall Creek during the tournament. Used to go up there just for fun to see the dam.

Heck the last two state record Brown Trout, both caught this year were caught below Fall Creek. I know where I will be fishing in January.

I fish it several times a year out of an 1860 Legend SS bass jet boat. Works great! However, a jet boat is definitely not a requirement. In fact, it's not even needed. You can make it to the cable with at least two units of water generating in a prop boat. With less than two units, you can make it with a jet boat BUT you will typically start running in to guys wade fishing. Blowing by them in inches of water and blasting them with waves just because you can would be a dick move when there is plenty of water to fish elsewhere. Fishing is really good below Fall Creek as others have mentioned.

Here's a few videos I've made while fishing down there. Most are tournamnets, but some are just us fun fishing. There's a few good brown trout mixed in among them.

Last edited by st041986; 10-07-2019 at 09:31 AM.
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86