Thread: 250 SHO

250 SHO

Hello everyone. I recently repowered from a 2004 Merc 225 EFI and purchased a new 250 SHO on my 2004 Champion 203. I am trying to figure out if I made a good decision or not. I am running the same speeds as I was with the Merc with the only difference being a slightly better holeshot.

I am currently running a 25 pitch tempest plus which seems to be the best so far out of the props I have tried. I am running around 68.5 - 69 mph with an empty live well, 1/4 tank of fuel and a tournament load of rods and tackle. I was sure hoping for better numbers.

I would also like to state that I seem to be using more fuel than I did with the EFI. I thought I would see better fuel economy with the SHO.

I sure hope I can figure out how to resolve these issues soon. If anyone has any recommendations I am open to listen.
    President
    Team Bass Xtreme & Buckeye Elite Anglers Trail
    www.teambassxtreme.com
    Buckeyeelites.com

2. Member
    Something is not right the sho is a far superior motor than a 3.0l 225 .... I would call whoever hung the motor tell him what's up .As far as holeshot you can't use a prop setup that spools up like a merc , my hole shot is amazing with a 28 Bravo all vent holes plugged .
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

3. Member
    What are your RPM's at WOT?

4. Member
    You need to look for a T1 or T2 Prop. The tempest is a great prop but not for the SHO. The diameter of the yamaha T prop's is what gonna make that come alive!

5. Member
    I run a 26 FXP prop on my FX20 at 6100 rpms and get like 73-75, I also run a 25 scorpion solis that gets good numbers.
    It seems to be all about getting high enough rpms with the sho

What RPM at WOT with the Tempest? Fuel economy should definitely be better. The 225 EFI (not the opti) is a really hot motor though, it is quite a bit lighter too. Not sure the Yam will be too much quicker but should be a little bit.

7. Member
    Remember, that champion is not a performance hull. It takes a lot of horsepower to see big gains in speeds with those hulls.

Bravo 1 FS 27p on a TR21X