boon docking in the winter??

I'm planning a pheasant hunt to South Dakota next year. I have a grand design 29RS, 50 amp camper. I know the formula of V X A = watts. Or at least I think I do. Due to the cold weather I'll be using the water heater, lights, stove, fridge, and water pump. Propane will take care of the fridge and water heater. The water pump, lights and an outlet to charge cell phones are needed for electrical. No TV, radio, or microwave. Maybe a space heater for the basement if it gets too cold. I know the space heater eats lots of amps. What's the minimum size inverter generator will I need?
    thanks for what you know as I'm an electrical dummy.

2. Banned
    Look at champion generators 3500/4000 watt.I have one it has been dependable and its not overpriced.

3. Banned
    Probably need to be 3000+. My single 2000 can rev pretty high with demand, but paired it's quieter. The space heater can run on low. When I turn them to high, they kick the breaker in the coach's panel. Vacuum and space heaters don't run together either.

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    What kind of stove is it? For everything else you are planning on running a 2000W would be more than enough. But.....

How cold is cold? If you have a propane furnace, just running it might be enough to keep the basement warm overnight. A 100W light bulb might generate enough heat as well.

Don't forget that the colder it gets, the less your hydraulics will like you when it's time to setup or take down.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

5. Member
    [QUOTE=BoatBuggy;10570113]What kind of stove is it? For everything else you are planning on running a 2000W would be more than enough. But.....

How cold is cold? If you have a propane furnace, just running it might be enough to keep the basement warm overnight. A 100W light bulb might generate enough heat as well.

Don't forget that the colder it gets, the less your hydraulics will like you when it's time to setup or take down.[/QUOTE The stove is propane. The hot water heater is both electric and propane. Slides and jacks are electric. The temperatures rarely fall below 21F nor rise above 55 F. I plan on purchasing an extra propane tank for the journey.

6. Member
    The water pump is 12v and is probably only pulling a few amps when it's running. The space heater is a biggie if being run on high it's probably pulling 13 amps and on low my guesstimate would be 7-8 amps. If that is all you're worried about running though a 2,000 watt generator would fit the bill but I'd get a 3,500 to 4,000 watt inverter generator so if you ever decide to boon dock in the warmer months you can run an AC unit. My 3,500 watt inverter will run my AC and my frig with power to spare. Plus if you ever want, you can run the inverters in parallel for double the output. The Champion can be had for some pretty good deals when you can find them on sale and they are well regarded. I have a Predator from Harbor Freight. I was a little skeptical since it was a HB item but it was $600 on sale and was already set up for electric start so I decided to take a chance on it. So far so good. It fires right up and purrs like a kitten and is quiet.

7. Member
    How many hours do you have on the predator? I’m considering one right now.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

8. Member
    just use your propane furnace only need the 12 volts

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbabin76 View Post
    How many hours do you have on the predator? I’m considering one right now.
    Not very many. I've only had it a short time.