Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hds9 w/3d transducer plus HDI Skimmer 50/200/455/800 question

So I installed an HDS 9 with the 3D structure that includes module and transducer. I need help with a few things. I also bought the Lowrance HDI Skimmer 50/200 455/800 Transducer + Transom Mount for deeper water 50/200 to connect straight to the HDS9. Is this a good combination on a budget?
    Can I install them 1 foot apart on the transom? The 3D already there.
    I will be fishing off the coast of Los Angeles and am not yet anywhere close to a semi decent fisherman but want to learn. What else do I need for it to be a more complete set up.
    Do I need to add Lowrance Point 1 GPS Antenna or will the stock GPS that's built in the unite suffice?
    It comes with C-MAP Genesis Live onscreen mapping. does this point out the allowed fishing zones and restricted ones or are just maps?
    I have been reading about the very pricey gadget market of accessories that looks very appealing but is not an option right now. Just want to have the existing unit have the essentials.
    So the 9 has
    CHIRP/SideScan/DownScan am still learning how to use it.
    And the HDI
    Hybrid Dual Imaging transducer offers Broadband Sounder & DownScan Imaging Capability and the 50/200 allows for deeper sonar.
    Do I still need 2D sonar option if I get downscan and sidescan. I didn't see anything for that in my bundle?
    Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Member
    First for the mapping. C-Maps does not provide good coverage offshore. You need to get paper maps to show the location of marine preserves and restricted areas. Also get a Navionics chip that does show offshore structure and depths. Check out the coverage here http://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@1&key=unwiFhya_X

Second, the HDI you bought has 2D, that's what the 50/200 part is. But since you can't view downscan from two sources at once, best bet is to turn that option off on the HDI. Go to Pages, Sonar, Installation, and select PDT-WBL instead of HDI. You can and should mount them about 1' from each other on the transom but make sure the beams are not blocked by one or the other transducers.

Third, if you will be fishing rockpiles and other small defined structure, a Point 1 will help you stay orientated to it. The heading sensor of the Point 1 is it's greatest asset. The GPS functions in it are no different from those in the Gen 3 that you already have.

What kind of fishing are you planning on? Rockfish and kelp bass? Also could probably target yellowtail and white sea bass as you get better.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    So I shouldn't use the 2D from the HDI, the reason I bought it was for 2D and the 50/200 for deeper downscan fishing so I thought. The 3D doesn't have 2D but it does have structure and downscan and of course 3D. At first it's a bit confusing but I will get it. If I had 2 monitors it would be better. So what do I use the HDI for?
    So I need Navionics I assume it's just a card, no hardware? Which one do I need there are many. They run around 200$ right? Got to go slow on these.

As far Point 1 and being orientated I noticed that there is a feature that allows the boat to be guided but with auto pilot? I don't have that or a trolling motor so is it still worth it? I know it's a better GPS antenna.
    i
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    First for the mapping. C-Maps does not provide good coverage offshore. You need to get paper maps to show the location of marine preserves and restricted areas. Also get a Navionics chip that does show offshore structure and depths. Check out the coverage here http://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@1&key=unwiFhya_X

Second, the HDI you bought has 2D, that's what the 50/200 part is. But since you can't view downscan from two sources at once, best bet is to turn that option off on the HDI. Go to Pages, Sonar, Installation, and select PDT-WBL instead of HDI. You can and should mount them about 1' from each other on the transom but make sure the beams are not blocked by one or the other transducers.

Third, if you will be fishing rockpiles and other small defined structure, a Point 1 will help you stay orientated to it. The heading sensor of the Point 1 is it's greatest asset. The GPS functions in it are no different from those in the Gen 3 that you already have.

What kind of fishing are you planning on? Rockfish and kelp bass? Also could probably target yellowtail and white sea bass as you get better.

NoCAL

4. Member
    NoCal is on point, just one correction: Under Sonar and Installation, choose HST-DFSBL.

5. Member
    I see HST-DFSBL is the model for just the 2D 50/200 without the 455/800 for downscan that I get from the 3D one already. I wish I'd have asked first it would have been a bit cheaper to buy just the 50/200 one.
    Also for he side by side install of the transducers how do I know if the beams are not blocked by each other?
    And finally since I only have C-maps and NoCal mentioned Navionics which one is better and more efficient for offshore and lakes in SoCal?
    Last edited by gica69; 10-05-2019 at 03:23 AM.

6. Member
    For the install, just make sure they are level and the HDI isn’t mounted lower than the 3D.
    Since you mention lakes too, your best bet for a mapping chip is the Platinum+. Don’t get the Hotmaps Platinum. It is lakes only. Go here to check out the features:

http://https://www.navionics.com/usa...ions-west.html

But no chip is a substitute for a good paper map. You’ll find that in some of the marinas around the area you want to launch from, they will have area specific maps.

NoCAL
    2B112175

7. Member
    Is this it? Navionics Platinum Plus Hawaii California South to Baja on SD/MicroSD #MSD/644P
    Can I use my Cmap for he lakes and get the Navionics for offshore coastal only? which version would that be?
    Last edited by gica69; 10-05-2019 at 07:23 PM.

8. Member
    I see no reason to select HST-DFSBL in the installation menu to disable HDI DownScan. HDI DownScan will only transmit when HDI is selected as source for DownScan. Due to the co-location with the 2D element HDI DownScan will give the best results for FishReveal.

9. Member
    Because HDI does not work at all with 19.1 on Carbon and Live.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Because HDI does not work at all with 19.1 on Carbon and Live.
    Any word on the coastal Navionics onl?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gica69 View Post
    Is this it? Navionics Platinum Plus Hawaii California South to Baja on SD/MicroSD #MSD/644P
    Can I use my Cmap for he lakes and get the Navionics for offshore coastal only? which version would that be?
    Yes, get that one in the SD/MSD format.

NoCAL
    2B112175

12. Member
    Any word on the coastal Navionics onl?
    Our two locations are so different that my advice on mapping is probably not what you need. ;)

13. Member
    Sorry didn't mean to reply to only your post it was a for everyone question
    Is it just me or the keyboard is wigging out on this forum have a hard time completing the words really pressing down on it, fine everywhere else
    Last edited by gica69; 10-08-2019 at 02:14 AM.

14. Member
    Is it just me or the keyboard is wigging out on this forum have a hard time completing the words really pressing down on it, fine everywhere else
    It is the forum. When I use Chrome it is less of an issue then with Safari or IE.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuirus View Post
    I see no reason to select HST-DFSBL in the installation menu to disable HDI DownScan. HDI DownScan will only transmit when HDI is selected as source for DownScan. Due to the co-location with the 2D element HDI DownScan will give the best results for FishReveal.
    True, but then you have to deal with 2 sources for DS, rather than just having it default to the SS3D ducer all the time.
    I have almost this exact setup, I have the HDI epoxied in my boat hull, and SS3D on the transom, but the unit was told I have an HS-WSBL (I have the 83/200/455/800 HDI), works perfectly as a 2D source.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    True, but then you have to deal with 2 sources for DS, rather than just having it default to the SS3D ducer all the time.
    I have almost this exact setup, I have the HDI epoxied in my boat hull, and SS3D on the transom, but the unit was told I have an HS-WSBL (I have the 83/200/455/800 HDI), works perfectly as a 2D source.
    I want to install the 50/200 transducer but I cannot install next to the 3d transducer and maintain a horizontal straight line, the boat has a v-hull and am contemplating either buying a 18 inch plate
    to mount them both on, which would mean the plate would stick out to the right. Can he 2D transducer e mounted on the other side or would the propeller interfere?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gica69; 10-11-2019 at 02:12 AM.

17. Member
    transducerInstall.jpgCan you show a picture or some kind of diagram on where exactly you epoxied the HDI? I am having a dilemma on where to mount the HDI and if you look at the picture the transom cannot accommodate both transducers where they'd be leveled. And port side is not recommended. Here's a picture I found online and the transducers are not aligned wonder if I can do this in my case where the 3D is lower closer to the engine and the HDI is away and up from it on the next parallel contour seen above. Let me know and thanks
    Last edited by gica69; 10-11-2019 at 01:33 AM.

18. Member
    Anybody?

19. Member
    That will work fine. The beams from the Structure transducer go out laterally while the 2D are more focused downward.

NoCAL
    2B112175

20. Member
    Ok so put them on the same side? I saw a video on Youtube that explained the fact that putting stuff port side has no interference from the propeller since the water is driven away not towards the transducer. Especially the 2D. Interferences are usually caused by stuff from under the boat or positioning of the transducer to high too low and bad angle. Also when you use mounting plate of 3/4 inches or 1 inch thick(maybe any thickness) you can actually put the bottom of the transducer flush with the bottom of boat and get the reading on plane at higher speeds, otherwise it is my understanding that the transducer has to come below the line of the boat by whatever. just relating what I've read. It could be wrong. Tomorrow I will install the HDI and get the cables through hull way above the waterline and use a cable clam and 5200 to waterproof it. And that will end this ordeal. Hopefully I don't have to adjust much after words.
    Last edited by gica69; 10-13-2019 at 02:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast