Mercury Smartcraft not Working Correctly

I purchased a 2014 RT188 with a 115 Optimax a year ago that came with the old school Smartcraft installed. I remember it telling me the hours as one of the options. Now the unit does not do so. A few of the options do not show any activity while the engine hours has completely disappeared. It is the older square units and I cannot find any support searching Google like the one below. Might someone point me in the right direction? While I know nothing about boat electronics, I do work on my own cars.

Thanks!

smartcraft.JPG

2. Member
    You need to do a master reset which, if I remember correctly, involves disconnecting the system monitor from the data cable AND removing data cable from engine side, for 24hrs. Haven't had one of those since 2010 or 2011, so am very foggy on correct reset procedure.

For reference, that's a Smartcraft System Monitor and has been out of production for several years. Thousands of them, however, still floating around in dealerships and wholesale outlets. Good FAQ topic covering Smartcraft devices in the 3L forum - SMARTCRAFT Options
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    You need to do a master reset which, if I remember correctly, involves disconnecting the system monitor from the data cable AND removing data cable from engine side, for 24hrs. Haven't had one of those since 2010 or 2011, so am very foggy on correct reset procedure.
    Hey thanks for the response! It's really hard finding info as you already know how old these units are. Wished there was a PDF user manual online somewhere. It came with the boat so I'm just going to keep it. But would like it to work properly as it did the day I picked it up. Really appreciate you input, will try it out soon.
    Last edited by bunz559; 10-05-2019 at 05:57 PM.

4. Member
    Here's a link to the System Monitor .pdf manual on Brunswick Marine's site. Doesn't describe the reset procedure I've seen Don post in the past though. Might try searching 3L forum for that as a lot of information posted there applies to the entire Optimax family, especially the FAQ (same in 2.5L forum).
    Last edited by SilverFox579; 10-05-2019 at 07:20 AM.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    I ended up doing a master reset on my Smartcraft. This required holding the Mode and Light button for 12 seconds. And then pressing and holding them again for a few more seconds. For future reference if anyone is searching, here are some direct links. Each one will vary dependent on which software version you have. Just in case, mine didn't look exactly like what was in the manual, but I managed to get around. It really is dependent on what you have your Smartcraft connected to. I haven't looked into everything that my unit is connected to as I'd have to track down the wiring the previous owner did.

https://dk-media.s3.amazonaws.com/AA...ion_Manual.pdf

https://dmna.ny.gov/nynm/manuals/Mer...ons_Manual.pdf